TDI , TDI SL , TDI PRO ?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you go to White's own forum, Steve Howard, a White's engineer, discusses that in one thread. As I recall, he said the SL is a more modern version of the Pro, using lighter-weight, more advanced components. But do your own research.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is what Steve H. said:
"That is a highly debated and unresolved comparison that has been going on for a number of years. Lots of You Tube videos about White's TDIs.

Technically, they are the same basic schematic diagram. The TDI Pro is simply made from the older larger size components, and the TDI SL made from the more modern smaller surface mount components.

The TDI Pro's Lithium Ion Battery is a big deal if you do much traveling, lots of laws about their handling, shipping, storage, discard, and ownership. Basically it is considered a hazardous chemical. Also it is a heavy model weighing in the 5 lbs range.

The TDI SL was designed to replace the TDI Pro, reducing weight (3 lbs) , and more user friendly batteries. However, 4 hours use per charge with the NiMH. And demand for the TDI Pro continued, thus White's has continued to build it.

Overall user comments tend to indicate the TDI SL is more stable, allows higher gain settings thus more depth. However, the TDI Pro has a strong following with many indicating some performance advantages over the TDI SL.

The comparisons are so close White's has choose to let the buying public decide by continuing to build and sell both, to the point demand decides which of the two is better. However, to date, the buying public has not decided.

As governments make dealing with the Lithium Ion Batteries more and more difficult, and as the older style larger components are becoming obsolete (no longer available), at some point the TDI Pro is not going to be practical to build and sell long before there are any issues with the TDI SL. However, we have not reached that point in time.

Some users prefer and even request the TANK like TDI Pro. If you can take the size/weight, or use the hip option, it is a very old school type design some prefer. However, if smaller/lighter is your thing, the TDI SL is a better choice.

For most new user, the "splitting hairs" performance differences or comparisons are negligible. The 3 lbs and non-hazard batteries of the TDI SL typical win out over TANK like design.

Howard "

Jim

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OK i got that but how about the PULSE SCAN TDI ? Is it a TDI SL or something different ?

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I did find out the TDI PULSE SCAN is a TDI Pro ... so with the battery problems with the pro i will look at the TDI SL..... DSCN0811.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do yourself a HUGE favor, and get a used Minelab SD machine.

Jan 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's V3 + RNB 2900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stay away from Minelab. Stick with White's.

I noticed that the gain on the TDI Pro only goes up to 10. My TDI goes up to 12. Does this mean the TDI Pro does not have as much gain as the Original TDI? I'm confused why they would go backwards.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found some one to get myself a TDI SL from so i will try that i was thinking Minelab Sd but i do not want to carry a battery around on my back..I think the TDI will be good in open fields ..And i will not have to wear head phones..

McArthurJohn

Jan 12, 2015
McArthur CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX-5000,Minelab GPX-4500, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI Pro, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Bug, Whites V3I,Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find out the TDI PULSE SCAN is a TDI Pro ... so with the battery problems with the pro i will look at the TDI SL..... View attachment 1257634

i dont think this is correct. my TDI says "pulse scan TDI Pro" on the box....

Carpdogman

Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a TDI SL for quite a while. I use it for gold nuggets and Relics in the desert. Have found coins in the park when I am in town. Light weight and it serves me well.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The TDI Pro (OZ) was designed to handle the Australian gold field extreme iron mineralisation

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread