What's new

Tejon depth question???

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2013
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
1,690
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was jiust about to buy a vaquero when the tejon started appealing to me again....My question is How much deeper is the Tejon in avg ground than my ATP? Will it find the buullets and buttons my ATP couldnt??? I know it is very deep, but how much deeper than the ATP??? Thanks....
 
Here is an air test I did with my Tejon.

IMG_0448.webp
 
I don't have either the Tejon or the ATP so what I'm offering isn't going to be much help. However, it seems to me that unless you can compare the same targets under the same conditions, how does anyone know. My first reaction when I read this post was "how deep is your ATP and how much deeper do you hope to find?" Unless there's a considerable difference in favor of the Tejon, there may be little reason to change. My two bits.
luvsdux
 
Well, i have 2 civil war sites that the bullets and other smaller relics are deep enough that they are just a whisper on the ATP until you open the hole then BAM the are really loud.....so how many are there that are 2 inches deeper and out of reach of my ATP? Also i have a site that goes back well into the 1700's but the ground is very mineralized and i have yet to find anything deeper than 6 inches unless it was reaLLy big iron. I know there are relics there out of reach aswell. My ATP is great and will remain my goto machine but i am looking for a machine that will pull those last few, missed treasures for me. I have also looked at the Fisher CZ's.....but i like the weight of the Tejon.
 
I have also looked at the Fisher CZ's.....but i like the weight of the Tejon.
The CZ's are hip/chest mountable. Making even lighter than a XP Deus!
 
Thanks fella....i forgot about that.......How much deeper is your cz than your ATP and how much better does it do in hot ground?
 
Also fella......how does your compadre do in very iron infested areas (alot of nails) compared to the ATP? I have one, never used it still in the box.....it has the 5.75 coil. Thanks.
 
Over the years since it came out, I've read references to the Tejon as being one of the best artifact/cw detectors. It may just get that extra couple of inches you're looking for. Be nice if you can find someone that has one and go out and compare.
luvdux
 
Thanks guys...
 
Have you also considered the Teknetics T2? It also is noted for depth, especially in All Metal. I believe you may want to check that against the Tejon as well. I know I've been thinking about one (Tejon), currently using the T2 and the AT Pro. The Tejon is based on the Fisher 1266x but on steroids. Just my 2 cents.
 
Thanks for your reply jersey....Actually i talked to a guy today who has a Tejon he is selling. He is going to drop it off tomorrow so i can test drive it. He is currently using a T2, which he had with him today, he loves the T2 but seems to really like a readout. I think this is why he is selling the Tejon. He is going to bbuy a ATPro after selling the Tejon so he can water hunt a little. I guess i'll give the Tejon a try and see...
 
Let me know what your thoughts are after using the Tejon.
 
Well, after about 5 hours of use i am not impressed with this machine. First off you should know that the machine has had the smaller 10" elliptical coil installed. My complaints are as follows: Less depth than my ATPro...Very poor pinpointing and sizing of targets. I tried to "walk" the coil as i do with my ATP to size targets and targets that seem to be the size of a coin end up being 4" or more in diameter. This machine also loves big rusty iron trash. The problem is that you cant tell these items from coins...they sound exactly the same and still hit solid at full disc! Also, several times i dug good signals only for them to dissappear...no signal in the hole, no signal in the plug. After a few times, i figured out that the targets were in the plugs but the machine would only pick them up if the were within 2 inches of the coil. So i had to spread the plug across the ground and nearly scrub the coil on the dirt to find target. This is a used machine and may have a problem, i dont know. I am sure the machine would be more impressive with a bigger coil, but it just not what i expected. Also, i have grown dependent on multi tones and VDI numbers. I would still like to use a Tejon with a big coil.....but i am probably going to look at the T2 SE. So Jersey, how does your T2 and ATPro compare, depth wise and where do they do better than one another?
 
Also air tested alot of targets at full sensitivity and the best i got were on nickels and 3-ringers at 7-8".......IDK???
 
im am trying to learn mine also,it is different how you ground balance the tejon,as too the older tesoros
 
Yeah, alot different than the ATPro to!
 
I am a little surprised of your review on the Tejon's Depth as I find it very deep especially with head phone and gound balanced properly. Learning the language is key as well, but it does like big iron, but again there are ways to guage that as well once the language is learned.

Also, as far as pin pointing, I have tried several detectors and Tesoro's ingeneral and my Tejon are spot on and the tightest I have ever experienced. I know that I really enjoy the Tejon.
 
I would definately give the Tejon another try with the factory coil or the larger DD coil. The one i borrowed had the smaller eliptical coil on it. This coil is not well suited for maximum depth. I was dissappointed in the this set up, but have not wrote the machine off completely. The Tejon has to be a deep machine with a bigger coil because too many people claim its depth for them all to be wrong.
 
DiggerinVA, Make sure you have a good ground balance on the Tejon, this is very important.
Try pulling the trigger and ground balancing the detector.... it seems to be much easier using the fast retune to ground balance than using the slow retune of all metal mode.
I own a Tejon and can assure you depth isn't a problem with it....with sensitivity set as low as it will go, mine still air tests coins at 6 inches plus. This is with the stock coil.

I have never used the small elliptical coil you are using, but unless it has problems it should give very good depth also with the Tejon. With the stock coil the Tejon is very deep and sensitive to tiny targets.
When I bought my Tejon I also had a Vaquero which is a very nice and deep detector, but I found the Tejon was about 3 inches DEEPER in my dirt, so I sold my Vaquero. Would have loved to kept the Vaquero but
finances at the time wouldn't allow it. If you can pick this detector up at a good price you should get it. Sell or swap the elliptical coil if you don't like it and put the stock coil back on it. Unless you are hunting some wide open areas
with little trash, the bigger DD coil may not be as useful to you as the stock coil would be. I'd suggest getting the 5.75" concentric coil for hunting in the trash. This combination will give you almost the same depth as the stock coil
and pick the good targets out of the trash.........HH

Roger
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom