Tejon fallen out of favor?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On several forums, including this one, I haven't seen much discussed about the Tejon. I starting to use mine more than the ID machines I have and this time I'm loving it. The one I had before was just extremely noisy and wouldn't get much depth, but I think its because the guy that owned it before me, abused it and used it hard. I suspect that if a coil is used hard it develops defects that make it hard for the machine to work right. This Tejon I have is new, I'm the first owner and so far its been a real pleasant experience.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since Tesoro has a lifetime warranty you can send the older Tejon in to Tesoro if you still have it and they will make it right. Then you will have two.

I really like my Tejon and I think many newer users think they want the id screen to lie to them so they get lazy and only dig quarters.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Sandman,

I did send the old Tejon in when I had it and Rusty did the best he could, but when I got the machine back it was still noisy and difficult to work with. I wound up getting rid of it and worked with a few TID machines until I got the urge to go back to Tesoro and managed to work a deal with trading one of the TID machines and some cash for a brand new Tejon last year. There's a world of difference between this one and the one that was used and abused. I was able to hunt near power lines yesterday without any problems, but that could have just been a day where there was a low or no load on those lines. I'm getting in synch with the audio on this one fast too. I'm just real pleased with how this machine works.

I've tried out quite a number of machines and coils over the last 5 years and I've become firmly convinced that if the coil has been rough handled, banged real hard a number of times, it will affect how the machine works. Or, if the coil wasn't made quite right to begin with you'll never get optimum performance out of the machine either. Seems obvious I know, but I wonder if this isn't the reason some machines are better than others, even though they're the same model and from the same manufacturer. Its for this reason that after I've had this Tejon for a few years, if it starts to behave like the first one I had I'll try replacing the coil with a new one before I even think about getting rid of it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is another reason I don't like UPS tossing the boxes around. It is better if possible to carry it out to your car from the dealer if at all possible. Besides if he or she did show you all there was to know about the detector it is plain rude to then order it online and not give the dealer your business as you don't save much by taking a chance on the box being bounced around and breaking a solder joint on a mother board.

(something is wrong with that "sentence," but I am to lazy to fix it.)

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes sir, that is precisely why I won't use UPS to ship anything and if I can get someone not to use UPS Im happy. They still owe me for a $200 camera they smashed and refused to pay on. They said I didn't pack it well enough. Also, I've had to ship back just about every coil I ordered and received via UPS. As soon as the replacement came back via USPS everything was fine. And, I agree completely with your statement about using a dealer and buying it from them. After they spend their time helping you, its the least you can do. I purchased this Tejon through a guy in E. Tennessee that is all about customer service and if I need another one he'll be the first person I talk to. I couldn't be happier with the Tejon I got from him.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with your shipping statements is that they are shipped by truck carrier to the local dealer. I agree if you can buy it from a local dealer the better because you can try it out.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Tejon for about five months and its my primary detector when I relic or coin hunt. I have used other detectors with visual I.D and multi tone I.D.s also. Over the years I have realized that I basically dig most targets and I do not spend the time looking at the screen to see if its this or that. I do use the disc. mode on the Tejon at times when I am running out of time and just want to scan for good targets. The Tejon is a great machine and it goes deep, especially when its properly ground balanced and conditions are good. Although I have noticed that at times the Tejon goes ballistic unstable and gives false signals, threshold goes wild. I can't explain why it happens but it takes me another 15 minutes or so to try to stabilize it and get it working again properly, this is very frustrating as it makes no sense.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Tejon is a kick a$$ machine when it's run in all metal mode. I'm not very impressed with it when I run in disc mode. But in all metal it will find everything in the ground. If you have a fairly clean site and are looking for relics then run it in all metal. It will find the very small and the deep.

-Swartzie

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter1 said:
I have had my Tejon for about five months and its my primary detector when I relic or coin hunt. I have used other detectors with visual I.D and multi tone I.D.s also. Over the years I have realized that I basically dig most targets and I do not spend the time looking at the screen to see if its this or that. I do use the disc. mode on the Tejon at times when I am running out of time and just want to scan for good targets. The Tejon is a great machine and it goes deep, especially when its properly ground balanced and conditions are good. Although I have noticed that at times the Tejon goes ballistic unstable and gives false signals, threshold goes wild. I can't explain why it happens but it takes me another 15 minutes or so to try to stabilize it and get it working again properly, this is very frustrating as it makes no sense.

I had a similar problem and after posting about it on here Sandman mentioned removing the coil cover and cleaning everything good after each use due to the sensitivity of the machine...never had an issue again.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hosensack said:
Relichunter1 said:

I had a similar problem and after posting about it on here Sandman mentioned removing the coil cover and cleaning everything good after each use due to the sensitivity of the machine...never had an issue again.

The Tejon is also very sensitive to changes in temperature. I have noticed that I will have to set my threshold at a different place depending on the current temperature. (Keep in mind that I am hunting in all metal.) Warm days I have to have it turned up and cold days I have to turn it down to get the same hum. Even going from a shaded spot to a sunny spot will change the threshold. At least on mine this is true. Also, you have to allow the machine time to adjust to the outside temperature before you start running it. You can't take it from a 70 degree house outside to 40 degree temps and expect it to be stable. Let it adjust for about a half an hour. Now that it's cold outside I will transport my Tejon in the trunk of my car to my hunting site so it doesn't get warmed up inside my car. Then I have a 20 minute walk to my site and she's stable and ready to hunt.

-Swartzie

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
DirtAngler said:
The only problem with your shipping statements is that they are shipped by truck carrier to the local dealer. I agree if you can buy it from a local dealer the better because you can try it out.
Yes and 9 times out of 10 it is a UPS truck...............

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
If anything is a bit fragile I'll ask as politely as possible if they will mail it USPS and sometimes they will. I've had 1 damaged parcel from USPS and about 17 from UPS. I've "heard" my parcel arrive with a BANG on my front porch and they're already driving away...hate UPS!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir is this question about the Tejon or about UPS...... I am confused here .... :laughing1: :offtheair:

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started the thread about the Tejon, but I think it morphed into comments about UPS because of how many of us have had damaged equipment delivered by the guys in the big brown trucks. In fact, I've started wondering if a couple machines that I was turned off on were due to damage in transit to either the machine itself or a coil. I don't have any dealers in my area that I can just go to, to try out a machine or anyone that can give me an idea, based on experience, if the machine is working correctly. I like the Tejon I have now because it works as advertised and was wondering why I don't see many comments on stuff found with one. I haven't tried it out coinhunting with a small coil yet, but I think it should be able to bring home the goodies as I know I'll be digging more than I usually do with a TID machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you go to the treasurenet page on top there is a ..SEARCH box just put in,.. Tejon and about every thing that has been on tnet about the tejon will come up....................... I am not sure but i think you have to be a charter member for the search box to work for you... But then i could be wrong ...Give it a try...

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today to a local school and did a little detecting with the kids. I basically assisted my youngest with her treasure hunting by doing the labor end "digging". We found a few modern coins and plenty of hair pins and aluminum foil. After about 2 hours and a few bucks in change we went to a local coffee shop and spent it on a fruit smoothie and a donut. Went back home and I was still restles...s as I did not have a find myself, so I took my Tesoro Tejon and hit the property for a few hours. One thing I was pretty sure of was that I pretty much cleaned it up in the last 8 years and did not expect too much. But I just added the Tejon to my arsenal of detectors and you know, "you just never know". One thing I have to say is this Tejon performs like a champ! Properly ground balanced, gain set at 9-10, slight threshold this machine was nailing the smallest targets inches below the ground that my previous detector missed! After about an hour of searching and being completly amazed at the performance, the Tejon SCREAMED loud telling me to "Dig," only 2 to 3 inches under the soil comes out this cool black powder pistol ! The handle all gone after 160 years in the ground and trigger guard rusted out, but still a find of the day for me. Yes I am convinced the Tejon goes DEEP ! I love this detector for relics and coins :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Thanksgiving, detecting, 2011 057.jpg
    Thanksgiving, detecting, 2011 057.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 595
  • Thanksgiving, detecting, 2011 010.jpg
    Thanksgiving, detecting, 2011 010.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 598
  • Thanksgiving, detecting, 2011 057.jpg
    Thanksgiving, detecting, 2011 057.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 593
OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YES, now that is a very nice find Relichunter1. I hope you have an electrolysis setup or access to one as that fantastic find deserves to be preserved. Just be sure to note somewhere exactly where you found it. Its more valuable to the future if there's context. I'm glad for you, as that is not an everyday find. :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freaking Awesome! :notworthy:

Relichunter1 said:
Went out today to a local school and did a little detecting with the kids. I basically assisted my youngest with her treasure hunting by doing the labor end "digging". We found a few modern coins and plenty of hair pins and aluminum foil. After about 2 hours and a few bucks in change we went to a local coffee shop and spent it on a fruit smoothie and a donut. Went back home and I was still restles...s as I did not have a find myself, so I took my Tesoro Tejon and hit the property for a few hours. One thing I was pretty sure of was that I pretty much cleaned it up in the last 8 years and did not expect too much. But I just added the Tejon to my arsenal of detectors and you know, "you just never know". One thing I have to say is this Tejon performs like a champ! Properly ground balanced, gain set at 9-10, slight threshold this machine was nailing the smallest targets inches below the ground that my previous detector missed! After about an hour of searching and being completly amazed at the performance, the Tejon SCREAMED loud telling me to "Dig," only 2 to 3 inches under the soil comes out this cool black powder pistol ! The handle all gone after 160 years in the ground and trigger guard rusted out, but still a find of the day for me. Yes I am convinced the Tejon goes DEEP ! I love this detector for relics and coins :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread