🥇 BANNER Ten Dollar Gold Piece - I'm still in shock!!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So still in shock here guys, was out detecting an old road looking for a colonial spot we though was close and got a solid 24 on my Equinox 800. Dug down about 5" and saw this laying in the hole. Can't remember much after that but my buddy said I was jumping up and down and yelling "Holy S---" over and over - when I finally calmed down I just said "gold" and opened my hand to show him .... his mouth just dropped

It is HUGE and she is a beaut!!

vp

IMG_6094.jpg IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6087.jpg

Upvote 217
OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not rooting against you! This may be the reason?

"We prefer "Rare to the Banner Finds" not necessarily "Rare according to the Books"

If you see one like yours up there now, it is not rare to the banner"

Even though your find isn't exactly like the existing gold coin that's on the banner, I'm inclined to think that there's already a gold coin on the banner and it's a fairly new post. There have been at least two gold coin finds that didn't make the banner this year, maybe more. A gold coin used to be an automatic banner, much like George Washington Inaugural buttons but, many of those found this year didn't make the banner either.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not rooting against you! This may be the reason?

"We prefer "Rare to the Banner Finds" not necessarily "Rare according to the Books"

If you see one like yours up there now, it is not rare to the banner"

Even though your find isn't exactly like the existing gold coin that's on the banner, I'm inclined to think that there's already a gold coin on the banner and it's a fairly new post. There have been at least two gold coin finds that didn't make the banner this year, maybe more. A gold coin used to be an automatic banner, much like George Washington Inaugural buttons but, many of those found this year didn't make the banner either.

yep no worries 1320 - all good!

I read Jeff's post as well and not sure I totally agree with how they do it but this isn't my site either :) so they can do whatever they want ...
I think communication is always a good thing and prevents confusion, they've attempted to do that with the post but I think in these types of cases if it simply does not meet their criteria when SOOO many members would expect it to be there, clarification should be given as to the reason it failed to make the banner just so everyone is clear - if nothing else it would provide transparency into the process.

again my two cents

vp

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320 , While you and others may find it distasteful to
" campaign" for banner , I would say that to not vigorously support a find of this magnitude , does a real diservice to not only the finder , but the integrity of " banner " finds . The suggestion that another gold
coin that made it , erodes your chance calls into question the legitimacy of "banners" - especially in light of the massive differences in the gold pieces ! As to the visual appearance , obverse and reverse of this 10 dollar gold piece, I don't know how it could be more attractive than the images I've seen ! Please do not lecture me about encouraging members to nominate a find of this caliber, I will continue to enthusiastically push for banner nomination for this find , until I decide
not to !

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Angry faces seem out of place in a thread like this.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find. I have an equinox 800 too. Hoping for some similar results. Cheers.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
" campaign" for banner , I would say that to not vigorously support a find of this magnitude , does a real diservice to not only the finder , but the integrity of " banner " finds . The suggestion that another gold
coin that made it , erodes your chance calls into question the legitimacy of "banners" - especially in light of the massive differences in the gold pieces ! As to the visual appearance , obverse and reverse of this 10 dollar gold piece, I don't know how it could be more attractive than the images I've seen ! Please do not lecture me about encouraging members to nominate a find of this caliber, I will continue to enthusiastically push for banner nomination for this find , until I decide
not to !

well said - thanks for the support

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find. I have an equinox 800 too. Hoping for some similar results. Cheers.

thanks - great machine - Minelab out did themselves

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Angry faces seem out of place in a thread like this.

yep agreed - it's all good banner or not
a coin of a lifetime was saved from the dirt :)

take care
vp

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
not to !

Not sure where you came up with me being "distasteful" and "lecturing" you? I was simply trying to offer up reasons why this one hasn't made the banner yet buy copying and pasting the "rules" of the banner. Those aren't my words, that's why I put them in quotations.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
yep no worries 1320 - all good!

I read Jeff's post as well and not sure I totally agree with how they do it but this isn't my site either :) so they can do whatever they want ...
I think communication is always a good thing and prevents confusion, they've attempted to do that with the post but I think in these types of cases if it simply does not meet their criteria when SOOO many members would expect it to be there, clarification should be given as to the reason it failed to make the banner just so everyone is clear - if nothing else it would provide transparency into the process.

again my two cents

vp

I believe it will eventually make the banner. I've seen some banner finds that have taken more than 30 days to reach the top.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it will eventually make the banner. I've seen some banner finds that have taken more than 30 days to reach the top.

thanks 1320

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
took a look at it again yesterday, still amazes me someone dropped this, just goes to show you these "OMG coins" are out there
couple more pics - enjoy

vp

IMG_6119.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

DavidDigs4Free

May 20, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! What a Gorgeous looking Coin! That is truly an Amazing Find. Congratulations! I hope to live long enough to find a Gold Coin. LOL

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! What a Gorgeous looking Coin! That is truly an Amazing Find. Congratulations! I hope to live long enough to find a Gold Coin. LOL

hopefully yours is right around the corner !

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
So still in shock here guys, was out detecting an old road looking for a colonial spot we though was close and got a solid 24 on my Equinox 800. Dug down about 5" and saw this laying in the hole. Can't remember much after that but my buddy said I was jumping up and down and yelling "Holy S---" over and over - when I finally calmed down I just said "gold" and opened my hand to show him .... his mouth just dropped

It is HUGE and she is a beaut!!

vp

View attachment 1874765 View attachment 1874763

View attachment 1874764

Yup!
And I'm in shock it still hasn't made it up to the banner.....YET!
Congratz

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry this just cracks me up .... LMAO

vp

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that’s a killer find! I imagine that was a shocker for sure! Big congrats on the elusive gold coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread