Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned both the DeLeon and Cortes, so here's my views on both of them:

1. Light and well balanced, easy on batteries, I average about 24 hours of use before they go down half way.

2. Target ID is excellent on both machines, however, Tesoro groups all coins in the 95 range on the target ID...except zinc pennies - (Cortes Only) and they display as 85 /zinc cent on the ID.

3. The Cortes' display is small compared to the DeLeon but the Cortes offers more information about the target.

4. Cortes and DeLeon share the same circuits, however, IMO Cortes gets an inch or so more in depth than the DeLeon in all types of soil I've used them in.

5. Both the Cortes and DeLeon are POWERFUL machines, and I recommend not turning up the sensivtivity past 7 or 8 due to falsing. Only occassionally in very dry condition, in all metal mode, do I use the max boost sensitivity feature.

6. The Sum Mode of the Cortes has became invaluable to my hunting. Nine different tones and 99% accurate with the Sum engaged.

7. Pinpointing with both machines is foolproof, right on the money.

8. Ground balancing the Cortes is too easy. If you have any problems, just follow the directions exactly, then practice in your yard for a while and you'll get the hang of it in no time at all.

9. The backlight feature (low and high) on the Cortes is very handy during low light levels. No backlight feature on the DeLeon.

10. Notch (narrow or wide) works perfectly and you can be sure no "goodies" are being notched out. I have dug far less pull tabs and screw caps using the narrow notch and still picked up a ring.

What I don't like: The battery pack design. A couple times, while going through brush, the battery compartment came open. I use a piece of duct tape to secure them further.

I use the DeLeon for schools and parks (basically, turn it on and go). Cortes is used for everything else.

I have coil covers, but don't use them...I believe they hinder a slight amount of depth, and when I took it off my DeLeon, serious amounts of debris were noticed. Just be careful where you swing and rinse it under the sink when you're done hunting.

Probably not much of a review, but that's my observations.....happy hunting.

Anyways...If you're reading this and planning on purchasing a Tesoro model detector, I very highly recommend either the DeLeon (fantastic piece of work) or the Cortes models. Both will last you a lifetime and find just as much treasure as any other top-of-the-line machine made by other companies...I guarantee that.

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,367
  • Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,294

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the very balanced review. I'm still learning the DeLeon.

I agree, the DeLeon is a great machine and also thanks for the tip on the coil cover. I was wondering if it reduced depth. The coil design just made me think it needed a cover. I was worry about causing damage to the coil.

I've found that my DeLeon reads in the upper 60's to mid 70's on long-time buried Indian/Wheat cents and the bar is strongest on zinc.

All silver coins register as 95 silver.

But, due to frozen ground my experiments are far and few between.

OP
OP
Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zeb, If you own the DeLeon and like it....you will absolutely LOVE the Cortes. I used the DeLeon for a few years then bought the Cortes. It is a fantastic machine, these two machines will do me for the rest of my days I'm sure.

I especially like the Sum feature of the Cortes, somehow, it knows exactly what's in the ground and displays it accurately about 99% of the time.

I like the Narrow Notch the best, it gets rid of pull tabs, screw tops and pieces of aluminimum, but still picks up rings and nickles. When I switch it to Wide Notch, it eliminates rings and nickles. So I go with the narrow for most of my hunting around old houses or estates.

Yeah, I just don't like the coil covers, I have mine hanging on a hook in the garage. I suspect a slight loss of depth with it on, plus when I did use it, I took it off and it was full of dirt...so I hung it up. I just don't swing like I'm using a weed chopper.

Anyways, I highly recommend the Cortes for anyone making a purchase who is looking for a good all around, do everything detector. Some people don't like the Cortes, but hey...I don't like the Explorer II (sold it for 700.00) and I really don't like the MXT, WAY too confusing for me. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes I guess.

It's nice to see another Tesoro user on the forum. Take care and GET THAT CORTES! You will not regret it.

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,227
  • Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,237

Willy

I no longer have a Tesoro and have some issues with them, but one thing I'll say right off the bat: from my experience, they're excellent in any kind of trash. I really regret selling/trading my Toltec II & the Golden uMax. They didn't seem to be any less deep than other detectors that I've used, but could handle the iron nicely. Both the Cortez & DeLeon should be much the same. ...Willy.

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes
Night Stalker - when using Narrow Notch how far over do you turn your discrimination knob?

I was worried using notch and losing a ring... but looks like you're not seeing that.

Any other tips ... I'm still learning my Cortes.

Nail Man Dan

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2006
San Diego Co.
Thanks for the information.
As a newbie to MD'ing and recent owner of a DeLeon I feel better about the readings I'm getting.
I'm amazed at what this thing is detecting, like tiny pieces of foil.
The depth is great, besides the ground here in San Diego is so hard (especially in the sumer) and so full of rocks, anything past 6 inches almost requires a hand pick.
Thanks again.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
well, here's my first post.I figure it's appropriate,cosidering I JUST bought my first real detector-a cortez. I was using a bounty hunter,which actually isn't a bad machine,I just wanted a little upgrade ;)(smileys are fun).So,since I am new to this I will keep reporting on how this thing works for a beginner.

P.S.-much thanx to doug and betty in Wis rapids,great people,super helpful.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soupie, I have used the Cortes and it gets good depth, at least over seven inches on a dime in my test garden easy. You mention all your settings but ground balance. This could be the problem, or your just not running the coil over a deeper silver dime. Air tests aren't the same and only work on checking the display for a reading. GB will effect how it operates in Disc. or All Metal.

HH,
Sandman

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Soupie;
I have a vaquero; and I love it. I think the ground balancing is your problem. You MUST ground balance EVERYWHERE you go. If you go to aunt marthas and detect; and then go to the park to detect; the ground is different. The tesoro web site has a video on how to properly ground balance. It will KILL your success and your machine will act like it is possessed if you don't ground balance properly.
Good luck....!!

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10. Notch (narrow or wide) works perfectly and you can be sure no "goodies" are being notched out. I have dug far less pull tabs and screw caps using the narrow notch and still picked up a ring.
Of course, you know this is adjustable. You can notch out JUST certain pulltabs in the range above nickels, or notch all the way down to beyond nickles.
The narrow notch seems to start at the point below screwcaps and can be widened downward from there to the point I mentioned. The wide notch starts at just above screwcaps.
With either one you have to think of the notch as widening downward from the start point
It turns out that the majority of rings are in the area starting about midway between nickels and screwcaps and going down to just below nickels.
I only say all this because it sounded like nightstalker may not have the notch set up right.

I have coil covers, but don't use them...I believe they hinder a slight amount of depth, and when I took it off my DeLeon, serious amounts of debris were noticed.

I find it hard to believe that the coil cover detracts much from the depth capacity. I mean, as much as your swing can vary in the vertical plane, it's hard to believe that that bit of plastic is gonna make much difference. On the other hand, the covers will fill with sand and fine soil. They should be removved and cleaned out from time to time. Some folks even seal 'em with a thin bead of silicone.

Nice comments. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread