Tesoro metal detectors?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Tesoro made a machine with a screen and VDI numbers and advertised it as a great feature.

Wow! I can not believe I never realized that before. If screens and multi-tone detectors are a gimmick, why would Tesoro sell them?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Im in all metal, I dig everything. In disc mode I usually only dig certain signals. Gold is indeed found in a large range, but thats just the quality of the gold and what its mixed with. There is some new tech now available in a mod Im going to upgrade to. I think the days of digging any junk is over. But I wasnt digging much junk anyway. VDI is part of the program, it can assist, but I would never hunt by vdi alone.

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I can not believe I never realized that before. If screens and multi-tone detectors are a gimmick, why would Tesoro sell them?

The average Joe never even heard of a Tesoro. There are hardly any Tesoro dealers anymore. Sad to see an American company going down the tubes. I guess the lifetime warranty don't mean didley squat anymore

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The average Joe never even heard of a Tesoro. There are hardly any Tesoro dealers anymore. Sad to see an American company going down the tubes. I guess the lifetime warranty don't mean didley squat anymore
The average Joe has never heard of any metal detector brand......

Kellyco carries Tesoro and they are the largest distributor in America and ship a lot of detectors to other countries....

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's technology and technology. Tesoro went the light with a small control box which was a bad move if you want to have high end machines. Others stayed heavier with bigger control boxes which enabled them to incorporate many more features.

I've detected 28 countries and had to be weighed down with equipment. Now there's a range of machines which will tackle various conditions with no need for a backups to be able to tackle more extreme ground, wet salt beaches etc. Are they more expensive ? Not really if you need two or three detectors of another brand to match out can now be put in one package.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The average Joe has never heard of any metal detector brand......

Kellyco carries Tesoro and they are the largest distributor in America and ship a lot of detectors to other countries....

Thats true, as the average joe is not a detectorist. Not only have I heard of Tesoro, I researched them and bought 2! I just never thought about the fact that Terry touts how screens/multi-tones are useless, yet his own faithful brand sells them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had Tesoro Conquistador, it was a good detector. I don't really have anything bad to say about them.... They are good detectors for people looking for an easy to use mid price range detector...

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had Tesoro Conquistador, it was a good detector. I don't really have anything bad to say about them.... They are good detectors for people looking for an easy to use mid price range detector...

Simple, effective, and reasonably priced. That's a good combination and it works well for me.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you research the line, you will find what you need in a Tesoro. I have seen Terrys finds, that speaks for itself. If you take the time to learn why VDI is so impressive now, you would understand Terrys comment. He prefers sound alone, and I still think sound is more accurate than VDI numbers. But I have the option to just drop to a two tone, disc and notch in and out what I want. VDI can be backlit. It can help in a quick adjustment also. I also detune my machine to miss the first 3 inches of dirt some days. Depends on the hunt. In town I am limited by the sensitivity to a handful of settings, emi. I almost purchased a Tesoro, cant count them out. Will always be the need for a well built light machine.

Moise

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2013
Ridgecrest, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always heard that the Tesoro ST is actually a very capable and an extremely easy unit to get up and running..... pretty much less buttons but the same results as other high end VLF machines. This alone holds great ground for any detector especially those that are just beginning the hobby. I tend to think they look a little oldschool but if they work then who cares about the aesthetics just as long as it works well and is light; which the Tesoro ST is.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I am surprised to see a thread that never ends. Tesoro detectors can be good or bad depending on the user and on the ground condition. Now I am not a tesoro fan since I have had 3 or 4 and none worked with my hunting conditions, and personal preferences. Also if finds speak for a detector in being good or bad... Well don't make me laugh, if one detectorist goes out every day for a whole year in the right spots well he will find a lot of stuff even with a radio shack detector. Let's see the trash to goodies ratio and we can talk.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Norbyx ! Trouble is saying to a newby that Tesoro is the most advanced technology, the deepest detecting and has the fastest recovery speed (as T.S.'s banner always use to say) when its just not true just leads to disappointment which is why so many have left or said " I am never going to post on this forum again !"

People should look less at the brand and more at who designed each model and what they have said when they produced their follow-up designs for other companies most of which have the option of being used as "beep/dig" or with tones, or with a meter or even running whatever combination suits the end user best.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Norbyx ! Trouble is saying to a newby that Tesoro is the most advanced technology, the deepest detecting and has the fastest recovery speed (as T.S.'s banner always use to say) when its just not true just leads to disappointment which is why so many have left or said " I am never going to post on this forum again !"

People should look less at the brand and more at who designed each model and what they have said when they produced their follow-up designs for other companies most of which have the option of being used as "beep/dig" or with tones, or with a meter or even running whatever combination suits the end user best.
I highly doubt anyone left forum because someone recommended a Tesoro and they were disappointed.

Buying a detector is no different than buying any other electronics like TV, stereo, computer or even a car... The more research you do for yourself, the happier you will be with the choices you make....If you rely on someone else to tell you what you will be most happy with you usually end up disappointed....

noble

Sep 21, 2010
gloucester
Detector(s) used
tesoro and lazers
talking of pinpointing i find with all my tesoros with the polo coil you dont need to pinpoint as the target is always in the centre of the coil also i dont need a separate pinpointer as i find it quicker to just grab a handful of dirt an d hold it under the coil which i have done for a fair few years now h.h everybody whatever machine you use

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing I use the screen read out for is finding old tree locations. I trust my ears.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I have an old Tesoro an at pro and a F-75se The tesoro recovers quicker on a target with fast swings going beep beep to pinpoint. It is way faster than the at pro and pin points better to me. But the at pro will discriminate better and deeper and has found things the tesoro missed just as the f-75 has found things the at pro missed. I carry the old tesoro in my back seat in case I come across a spot to check. It I am getting good targets I return with the at pro or f-75. There has been a lot of places cleaned out of civil war relics in the south with Tesoro"s. I have no idea how old mine is but it still works great and runs all day long on one battery.
I would not hesitate starting out as a newbie with a Tesoro or as a seasoned hunter having one in your arsenal. Like anything it is what you learn to use the best.
I let guest use my Tesoro when they want to try the hobby. I am a little nervous because I know the machine I gave them is good haha!

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my view as well. Been metal detecting for 35 years but I would like to try one out to see how it does in places I have hunted hard just for kicks. I have an XP Pro and and a CTX 3030.

Replied to wrong message.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have about 400+ hours on my CTX 3030. When my display shows a fairly consistent 12-13 its a nickle 97% of the time, the other 3 its a tab, I dig all 12-12 to 12-13 VID ranges and NEVER miss a nickel and rarely dig a tab.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread