Tesoro Tiger Shark or Garrett Sea Hunter

B

Big1011Guy

Someone recommended a Tesoro Tiger Shark as a good Underwater machine. I am a Newbie and I live Approx 40 Miles from Galveston. I have an Ace 250 and It works great in the dry sand, but i am considering getting a Waterproof machine. I was considering the Garrett Sea Hunter II but someone suggested the Tesoro Tiger Shark. They are priced about the same. Galveston has the Black Sand Base from what I have seen. I have never heard of the Tesoro Tiger Shark Brand, probably because the dealer in my area is a Garrett and Whites Retailer. Thanks in Advance for any insight that you may give me.
Big1011Guy

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
From everything I have read the Tiger Shark seems to be better suited for fresh water, the Sand Shark more so for saltwater. I am looking at the Sand Shark or Garrett Mark II..

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Big1011Guy said:
Someone recommended a Tesoro Tiger Shark as a good Underwater machine. I am a Newbie and I live Approx 40 Miles from Galveston. I have an Ace 250 and It works great in the dry sand, but i am considering getting a Waterproof machine. I was considering the Garrett Sea Hunter II but someone suggested the Tesoro Tiger Shark. They are priced about the same. Galveston has the Black Sand Base from what I have seen. I have never heard of the Tesoro Tiger Shark Brand, probably because the dealer in my area is a Garrett and Whites Retailer. Thanks in Advance for any insight that you may give me.
Big1011Guy

i go with the Sand Shark if you hunting on a beach.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Tesoro "Tiger Shark" will not cope well with black sand or high mineralisation. The Tesoro "Sand Shark and the Garrett Seahunter" are both Pulse Induction detectors and will handle black sand quite well. Neither of these detectors have good discrimination but both work very well in saltwater conditions. The Tiger Shark does have discrimination. Also consider the Minelab Excalibur, this machine is waterproof, has discrimination and is designed for saltwater metal detecting.
Adrian.

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
Adrian SS said:
The Tesoro "Tiger Shark" will not cope well with black sand or high mineralisation. The Tesoro "Sand Shark and the Garrett Seahunter" are both Pulse Induction detectors and will handle black sand quite well. Neither of these detectors have good discrimination but both work very well in saltwater conditions. The Tiger Shark does have discrimination. Also consider the Minelab Excalibur, this machine is waterproof, has discrimination and is designed for saltwater metal detecting.
Adrian.

How do you like the Minelab Excalibur in the saltwater?????

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you have ever used an Sovereign XS or one of the Minelab Explorer series machines the Excalibur is as good as those in and out of the saltwater. These detectors run beautifully on saltwater beaches and can tolerate moderately high iron mineralisation. If you have not used any of these machines then you will have to get used to the discrimination tones. If you get an old Sov then try to find one with the targe ID numbers meter (not the bar graph type) What I like about the Sov is that it will track from the wet sand to the water without a murmer and when fitted with the 15inch WOT coil it is almost unbeatable for depth when in the disc mode.
The Garrett Seahunter does have a discrete discrimination mode and is one of the few detectors that can out perform the Sov for depth on saltwater beaches, this is a great beach machine for those who are Dig Every Target Operators and want a waterproof detector. The Garrett Infinium is also a great beach machine but if you do not intend going into the gold fields then the Sea Hunter may be a better choice.
Adrian

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Adrian SS said:
If you have ever used an Sovereign XS or one of the Minelab Explorer series machines the Excalibur is as good as those in and out of the saltwater. These detectors run beautifully on saltwater beaches and can tolerate moderately high iron mineralisation. If you have not used any of these machines then you will have to get used to the discrimination tones. If you get an old Sov then try to find one with the targe ID numbers meter (not the bar graph type) What I like about the Sov is that it will track from the wet sand to the water without a murmer and when fitted with the 15inch WOT coil it is almost unbeatable for depth when in the disc mode.
The Garrett Seahunter does have a discrete discrimination mode and is one of the few detectors that can out perform the Sov for depth on saltwater beaches, this is a great beach machine for those who are Dig Every Target Operators and want a waterproof detector. The Garrett Infinium is also a great beach machine but if you do not intend going into the gold fields then the Sea Hunter may be a better choice.
Adrian

Thanks Adrian for your response. I am leaning towards the Sea Hunter. I had considered upgrading even further to the Infinium LS but I will be searching the majority of time in the Salt Water of Galveston, Texas and I have the Ace250 for Dry Land Organized Hunts. The Owner of the MD store I deal with will be back from his own MDing Vacation on Thursday. I am ordering the Sea Hunter on Thursday. I don't do very well at waiting, it's killing me (Figuratively Speaking)
Thanks Again,Guy

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
How does the 8 inch coil compare to the 10.5 inch coil in finding the small stuff on the sand shark.
Thinking about get a sand shark or sea hunter.

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Well I Did It. I just bought a Lightly Used Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and a Long Handled Stainless Sand Scoop. Alexanders Enterprises Did Me Right On Deal. I am Very Very Happy and Anxious to hit Galveston for Low Tide This Weekend.
Big1011Guy

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Big1011Guy said:
Well I Did It. I just bought a Lightly Used Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and a Long Handled Stainless Sand Scoop. Alexanders Enterprises Did Me Right On Deal. I am Very Very Happy and Anxious to hit Galveston for Low Tide This Weekend.
Big1011Guy

Tell us how you did!
i like to hear how much gold you find. LOL

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

geckokid said:
Big1011Guy said:
Big1011Guy

Tell us how you did!

Oh, You Can count on me posting my finds, no matter what they may be. Galveston is having a good session of Low Tides at nite until Thursday 7/23 and I am planning on going as many nites as possible, except Saturday (Going to MDr's Party).
Big1011Guy

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Big1011Guy said:
geckokid said:
Big1011Guy said:
Big1011Guy

Tell us how you did!

Oh, You Can count on me posting my finds, no matter what they may be. Galveston is having a good session of Low Tides at nite until Thursday 7/23 and I am planning on going as many nites as possible, except Saturday (Going to MDr's Party).
Big1011Guy

You are going to need a wheelbarrow to haul in all those gold rings you find!!!!!

Robbie

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Dimeman said:
Big1011Guy said:
geckokid said:
Big1011Guy said:
Big1011Guy

Tell us how you did!

Big1011Guy

You are going to need a wheelbarrow to haul in all those gold rings you find!!!!!

Robbie

How about if I Buy a Harley and a trailer or even a HORSE and Buggy. LOL
Guy

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I know it is a moot point as you have already ordered your Sea Hunter, but I love my Sea Hunter II. Look into mounting the battery console on a belt. It can be quite heavy to swing otherwise. You'll get used to it in time. Also, it has tremendous depth. I've hit targets that have been over 2' deep. It also has some limited capability to discriminate. I have mine tuned to nearly eliminate bottle caps. A bottle cap at the surface will ring very faint and muffled. At depth, it doesn't even register. Yet buried zincolns ring loud and clear.

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Diver_Down said:
I know it is a moot point as you have already ordered your Sea Hunter, but I love my Sea Hunter II. Look into mounting the battery console on a belt. It can be quite heavy to swing otherwise. You'll get used to it in time. Also, it has tremendous depth. I've hit targets that have been over 2' deep. It also has some limited capability to discriminate. I have mine tuned to nearly eliminate bottle caps. A bottle cap at the surface will ring very faint and muffled. At depth, it doesn't even register. Yet buried zincolns ring loud and clear.

Thanks, Diver_Down For your input i am trying it out this weekend and will be posting my finds ASAP.
Big1011Guy

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Ok! It's been 10m days and not seen how you did! How did the Sea Hunter work out for you? I'm also leaning towards getting a Sea Hunter. Thanks

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

LX Kid said:
Ok! It's been 10m days and not seen how you did! How did the Sea Hunter work out for you? I'm also leaning towards getting a Sea Hunter. Thanks

I am extremely happy with my Sea Hunter. No rings ,yet -- Check out my finds in TODAY'S FINDS Post - Under Big1011Guy -- on Home Page.
Guy

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
I just got the Tiger Shark. May not be exactly what I needed but if not I'll go with the Garrett Sea Hunter II or the Sand Shark. I'll be giveing it a try in about a week or so when it gets here. In the mean time I'm reading and re-reading the manual to get a jump start on it's use. Ground balanceing seems to be the biggest consideration.

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Still haven't had a chance to try out my Tiger Shark or my Stingray II. My son took the Stingray II out for a spin and found a few coins. It was his first time metal detecting and I'm sure he went thru a few learning curves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread