✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,797
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,902
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,913

crapo87

Nov 7, 2008
What games go to 15? Badminton? Do they play badminton in Alaska?

Some kind of counter for a game maybe? What games go to 15? Badminton? Do they play badminton in Alaska?

Upvote 0

Fracture

Nov 7, 2008
Argh! Why is everyone failing to notice two key features?!

1. The tab stops the wheel from turning past position 7 (or so).
2. The "fingers" have bulges on them of increasing thickness.

I think it's a spark plug gauge, or something very similar.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fracture said:
Argh! Why is everyone failing to notice two key features?!

1. The tab stops the wheel from turning past position 7 (or so).
2. The "fingers" have bulges on them of increasing thickness.

I think it's a spark plug gauge, or something very similar.
The tab stops it at 14 if you are going by the pointer. Its on 7 or so now in the pic..

The fingers look the same to me. :icon_scratch: Maybe a bit of an illusion, only musclecar can answer that.

btw welcome to TN.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wonder if you cross bred the pigg nuts and the counter thingy -- what would happen? :icon_scratch:

hey he asked for it -- he wants pigg nuts --ok let em have em.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
JG_in_NC said:
Now what the heck is a pigg nut and where do I find that thread????
JG
ivan salis said:
wonder if you cross bred the pigg nuts and the counter thingy -- what would happen? :icon_scratch:

hey he asked for it -- he wants pigg nuts --ok let em have em.
Imo the piggnuts are solved but we have no confirmation.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
like a sniper's score or a pilots --the kill was not verified --(so most likely but not "for sure" ) :stop:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
JG_in_NC said:
I agree on a temperature control device but you are confusing the sprockets.
It isn't electric but mechanical. The sprockets move another gear. The adjustment part is the "stop tab".
Like someone showed earlier there would have been a face plate but the tab would penetrate through as well. There would have been enough friction to keep it from free spinning but loose enough to use the tab.
Your fingers would use the tab to adjust the setting and the sprockets (hidden from view) would adjust another gear below. I know I have adjusted something similar and hurt my finger on the tab when the dial would get tighter. I had to use a coin to move it. If I get a moment I will photoshop my thought.
I used to repair fridges and I think I see what you mean. Its seems awful thin metal for a sprocket gear but I think its possible that the arms on the sprocket could match with another wheel that resembles a miniature paddlewheel. This mechanical device may adjust the airflow to the bottom fresh food area. Is this what you mean?

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Big Cy, I see your reference to the pignuts, but I am not even going to touch it with a 10 foot pole....NGE (T)

Upvote 0

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
bigcypresshunter said:
JG_in_NC said:
I agree on a temperature control device but you are confusing the sprockets.
It isn't electric but mechanical. The sprockets move another gear. The adjustment part is the "stop tab".
Like someone showed earlier there would have been a face plate but the tab would penetrate through as well. There would have been enough friction to keep it from free spinning but loose enough to use the tab.
Your fingers would use the tab to adjust the setting and the sprockets (hidden from view) would adjust another gear below. I know I have adjusted something similar and hurt my finger on the tab when the dial would get tighter. I had to use a coin to move it. If I get a moment I will photoshop my thought.
I used to repair fridges and I think I see what you mean. Its seems awful thin metal for a sprocket gear but I think its possible that the arms on the sprocket could match with another wheel that resembles a miniature paddlewheel. This mechanical device may adjust the airflow to the bottom fresh food area. Is this what you mean?

Yes something along those lines. Not heavy duty at all.
My wife thinks I am crazy, but I keep all of the parts from old appliances. Motors, fans, switches and such.
I have 2 boxes of parts just in case I need to build a robot. I love to tear (mechanical) things apart once they are dead to see how they worked. I emphasize once they are dead, cause when I try and put them back together I always have parts left over....

I do remember seeing the pigg nuts now. But I didn't get wrapped up in that one.

Upvote 0

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
It fits inside a game and controls the spins. :smileinbox: ;D

Upvote 0
M

missyx

I think I know what it is. But gosh, after all this time and mystery - do you REALLY want to know?

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
missyx said:
I think I know what it is. But gosh, after all this time and mystery - do you REALLY want to know?

You wasted your first post on this ::)

Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can we add another link under 'Nominate For Banner' that reads 'Nominate For Removal'? The fact this post keeps finding its way back to the top keeps me up at night.

NJ

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread