What's new

Texas buckle (I never thought Id say that)

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

My day started and almost ended the same as always. Hitting the same dried up Confederate camp, only pocketing some melted lead and a coin I couldn't date. The holes in this spot are everywhere. I always fill, but depressions develop and some days I wish I wore ankle braces. After 7 hours avoiding injury, I decided to call it a day. The deal to myself was to dig one last signal and, wow, I'm glad I did.

Dug was this tongue to a Texas buckle, or plate 315 for those who own Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates." At the time I had no idea what it was or how rare it would prove to be. The red clay where I hunt is brutal and the object could have passed for a brick. After a surprisingly high pitched shout and mild collapse, I readied for another pass thinking my luck is not near good enough to find the wreath. But again, another high brass signal. The ground was soft but I still spent the next 20 or so minutes digging a crater to prevent any damage. Shotgun shell!

My disappointment didn't last long. After all, here was a find that I'm certain will remain the find of my life plus I got permission from the wife to hunt til I find that wreath!
 

Attachments

  • texas-frontLR.webp
    texas-frontLR.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,756
  • texas-backLR.webp
    texas-backLR.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 3,747
Upvote 2
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

congrats on the buckle and making Banner
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Lone Star plate is a mind boggling discovery :o :o :o Congrats on the Banner and hope you get the wreath ! ;D when you search for the wreath try humming the melody , The eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the live long day. :icon_thumleft: d a w g
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Find of a life time , huge congrats and nice save!! :notworthy: :headbang:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Congrats on the banner my friend!!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Great find :notworthy: congrats on the Banner rare find for sure , i had no idea how rare that plate is until i read about it before or what a complete plate looked like , find that wreath !!
:thumbsup: Jim
http://hanoverbrass.com/siteindex.htm
 

Attachments

  • T107.webp
    T107.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 3,286
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Congratulations on the BANNER!!
REB
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Well done on the banner, now surprise me & tell me the possible sale price? :o
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

WOW, already? I'm not worthy!!!! Thanks for all your votes and comments. Nothing beats this community! :notworthy:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Well Done.Great find!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

CRUSADER said:
Well done on the banner, now surprise me & tell me the possible sale price? :o
A dealer friend sold one 10 years ago with a mis-matched wreath for $9,600. That's the only ballpark I've received. Not thinking much about the money right now, though. Just want that wreath. Thanks again to all!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Love those "one last dig"s Sweet find. Congrats
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

:hello:
How in the world did I miss this post? It's one of the better ones that I have seen in a while!
Congratulations! What a nice display piece. :hello2:
Mike
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Congrats on the plate and banner find. :thumbsup: Good luck with finding the other part.
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

That is a Dandy!!Huge congrats!!!!I hate to be a nay sayer but the wreath may never be found.By chance do you know if the site has ever been hunted?If so any way you could find out by whom?
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Well done on the banner :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

kuger said:
That is a Dandy!!Huge congrats!!!!I hate to be a nay sayer but the wreath may never be found.By chance do you know if the site has ever been hunted?If so any way you could find out by whom?
I let a friend hunt the site a decade ago. He made some good finds. One of those finds was a wreath he never found the tongue to. I drove to his house, prayed for a fit, but alas, no Cinderella story.

Trust me, Kuger, my hopes aren't all that high about finding the wreath, but it's good motivation. Just the white whale I needed for a place I had almost given up on.
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

OMG !! Yep you got my banner vote.. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

kyphote said:
kuger said:
That is a Dandy!!Huge congrats!!!!I hate to be a nay sayer but the wreath may never be found.By chance do you know if the site has ever been hunted?If so any way you could find out by whom?
I let a friend hunt the site a decade ago. He made some good finds. One of those finds was a wreath he never found the tongue to. I drove to his house, prayed for a fit, but alas, no Cinderella story.

Trust me, Kuger, my hopes aren't all that high about finding the wreath, but it's good motivation. Just the white whale I needed for a place I had almost given up on.

Well heck that means there is another tongue there!!Never give up on a good site,too many times I have been surprised in the same way!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Awsome find GL on finding the wreath.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom