What's new

Texas buckle (I never thought Id say that)

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

My day started and almost ended the same as always. Hitting the same dried up Confederate camp, only pocketing some melted lead and a coin I couldn't date. The holes in this spot are everywhere. I always fill, but depressions develop and some days I wish I wore ankle braces. After 7 hours avoiding injury, I decided to call it a day. The deal to myself was to dig one last signal and, wow, I'm glad I did.

Dug was this tongue to a Texas buckle, or plate 315 for those who own Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates." At the time I had no idea what it was or how rare it would prove to be. The red clay where I hunt is brutal and the object could have passed for a brick. After a surprisingly high pitched shout and mild collapse, I readied for another pass thinking my luck is not near good enough to find the wreath. But again, another high brass signal. The ground was soft but I still spent the next 20 or so minutes digging a crater to prevent any damage. Shotgun shell!

My disappointment didn't last long. After all, here was a find that I'm certain will remain the find of my life plus I got permission from the wife to hunt til I find that wreath!
 

Attachments

  • texas-frontLR.webp
    texas-frontLR.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,756
  • texas-backLR.webp
    texas-backLR.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 3,747
Upvote 2
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Holy crap! Absolutely a find of a lifetime. Congrats big time!!!!!!!!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Excellent find,
I have seen only one other dug in 25 yrs of Detecting.

:thumbsup:, Nova Treasure
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Sweet and congrats!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Just want to thank everyone again for all the kind words, pleasant PM's and most of all the daily inspiration this site provides. Effort wise, I was pushed to the brink just before finding this. The summer was absolutely brutal as a lot of you know. My time investment averaged about 35 hours a week in a heat wave that pushed 100 nearly every day for two months. My body is littered with bite scars, I stepped on a snake, was attacked by a racoon, and contracted Lyme's disease (a two-week setback). On my most fruitless days, I'd come home, check this site and get instantly re-inspired. TreasureNet is truly something special and will remain my motivation for at least another 10,000 shotgun shells. Thanks again. :notworthy:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

kyphote said:
Just want to thank everyone again for all the kind words, pleasant PM's and most of all the daily inspiration this site provides. Effort wise, I was pushed to the brink just before finding this. The summer was absolutely brutal as a lot of you know. My time investment averaged about 35 hours a week in a heat wave that pushed 100 nearly every day for two months. My body is littered with bite scars, I stepped on a snake, was attacked by a racoon, and contracted Lyme's disease (a two-week setback). On my most fruitless days, I'd come home, check this site and get instantly re-inspired. TreasureNet is truly something special and will remain my motivation for at least another 10,000 shotgun shells. Thanks again. :notworthy:

I thought I was beaten up, makes my pains feel better already :D
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

My God, I looked at your post twice, that sir is the best CW relic I have seen in a very very long time. Huge Congrats to you :thumbsup:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Pretty neat. I would love to find an old buckle like that, I don't think there would be many in my area though
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Great find and worth the effort. Is it from the same site you found your CS shield? Congratulations on your find and hope the wreath shows under your coil.
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Congrats on the banner!!!!! Cant wait to see if you find the other half!!!!!!!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Congratulations on a well deserved BANNER FIND!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Great Banner Find!
An awesome peice of History!
Thanks for sharing this. More great digs to You!! Herbie.
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Bump :thumbsup:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

You show Virginia as your locale, can you document the Texas Brigade at this campsite? I don' think many other Texas troops were in the eastern theatre, except in the Army of the Tennessee.
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

WOW! I don't think I would be able to stand after finding something like that!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Great Find! Congrats on the Banner! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Congradulations on the rare piece. As I understand it, few of them were made, as Texas didn't have as big a part in the CW conflict, as did the states further eastward. For whatever reason, few were made, and few are found.

A buddy of mine found one here in CA at a site that dated in the 1860s-ish, but his was one of those flimsy kind. Ie.: the type you can practically bend and break with your fingers. Not the heavy-cast type like yours. Still though, I recall he had offers into the multiple hundreds, and was told it was very rare. So I can only imagine what yours would fetch!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Tom_in_CA said:
Congradulations on the rare piece. As I understand it, few of them were made, as Texas didn't have as big a part in the CW conflict, as did the states further eastward. For whatever reason, few were made, and few are found.

A buddy of mine found one here in CA at a site that dated in the 1860s-ish, but his was one of those flimsy kind. Ie.: the type you can practically bend and break with your fingers. Not the heavy-cast type like yours. Still though, I recall he had offers into the multiple hundreds, and was told it was very rare. So I can only imagine what yours would fetch!

Too bad your buddy didnt take those offers Tom,as has been said before the one he dug(we have dug many)were no affiliation to Texas or Mississippi.The one above is a tried true real deal.Also the flimsy ones you speak of were used in a utilitarian capacity and were the more common
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Kuger, Ah ......... you flushed that out, that the flimsy construction ones (despite what may have been depicted on them) are not the same military issue sought-after ones as the heavy cast ones. Ok, in that case, I'll offer it to you for a mere $100! ;D
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Tom_in_CA said:
Kuger, Ah ......... you flushed that out, that the flimsy construction ones (despite what may have been depicted on them) are not the same military issue sought-after ones as the heavy cast ones. Ok, in that case, I'll offer it to you for a mere $100! ;D


Right,they were not affiliated with the Military in any capacity but were manufactured specifically for the Gold Rush,and were actually quite hardy(we have found them worn smooth from use,and you know how rough daily life was back then)There was cast ones also that had nothing to do with any military (the one above is a totally different style and was military)I tell ya what......I will trade ya one of my "Flimsy",Stars for your Eureka Tongue ;D :thumbsup:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

I missed this post as I was getting a new computer but Dixiedigger told me about it. That's a rare and LIFETIME find. Congrats on the well deserved banner and good luck finding the wreath portion. HH, Quindy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom