What's new

Texas buckle (I never thought Id say that)

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

My day started and almost ended the same as always. Hitting the same dried up Confederate camp, only pocketing some melted lead and a coin I couldn't date. The holes in this spot are everywhere. I always fill, but depressions develop and some days I wish I wore ankle braces. After 7 hours avoiding injury, I decided to call it a day. The deal to myself was to dig one last signal and, wow, I'm glad I did.

Dug was this tongue to a Texas buckle, or plate 315 for those who own Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates." At the time I had no idea what it was or how rare it would prove to be. The red clay where I hunt is brutal and the object could have passed for a brick. After a surprisingly high pitched shout and mild collapse, I readied for another pass thinking my luck is not near good enough to find the wreath. But again, another high brass signal. The ground was soft but I still spent the next 20 or so minutes digging a crater to prevent any damage. Shotgun shell!

My disappointment didn't last long. After all, here was a find that I'm certain will remain the find of my life plus I got permission from the wife to hunt til I find that wreath!
 

Attachments

  • texas-frontLR.webp
    texas-frontLR.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,756
  • texas-backLR.webp
    texas-backLR.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 3,747
Upvote 2
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

What's the big deal. Looks pretty poor to me. A piece of old junk that this guy spent his day digging up. Now he's all worked up about the "wreath." Give me a break. :dontknow:

kyphote said:
My day started and almost ended the same as always. Hitting the same dried up Confederate camp, only pocketing some melted lead and a coin I couldn't date. The holes in this spot are everywhere. I always fill, but depressions develop and some days I wish I wore ankle braces. After 7 hours avoiding injury, I decided to call it a day. The deal to myself was to dig one last signal and, wow, I'm glad I did.

Dug was this tongue to a Texas buckle, or plate 315 for those who own Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates." At the time I had no idea what it was or how rare it would prove to be. The red clay where I hunt is brutal and the object could have passed for a brick. After a surprisingly high pitched shout and mild collapse, I readied for another pass thinking my luck is not near good enough to find the wreath. But again, another high brass signal. The ground was soft but I still spent the next 20 or so minutes digging a crater to prevent any damage. Shotgun shell!

My disappointment didn't last long. After all, here was a find that I'm certain will remain the find of my life plus I got permission from the wife to hunt til I find that wreath!
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

quantsystems said:
What's the big deal. Looks pretty poor to me. A piece of old junk that this guy spent his day digging up. Now he's all worked up about the "wreath." Give me a break. :dontknow:

kyphote said:
My day started and almost ended the same as always. Hitting the same dried up Confederate camp, only pocketing some melted lead and a coin I couldn't date. The holes in this spot are everywhere. I always fill, but depressions develop and some days I wish I wore ankle braces. After 7 hours avoiding injury, I decided to call it a day. The deal to myself was to dig one last signal and, wow, I'm glad I did.

Dug was this tongue to a Texas buckle, or plate 315 for those who own Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates." At the time I had no idea what it was or how rare it would prove to be. The red clay where I hunt is brutal and the object could have passed for a brick. After a surprisingly high pitched shout and mild collapse, I readied for another pass thinking my luck is not near good enough to find the wreath. But again, another high brass signal. The ground was soft but I still spent the next 20 or so minutes digging a crater to prevent any damage. Shotgun shell!

My disappointment didn't last long. After all, here was a find that I'm certain will remain the find of my life plus I got permission from the wife to hunt til I find that wreath!


strong first post there chief......hopefully you won't have a second one
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

quantsystems said:
What's the big deal. Looks pretty poor to me. A piece of old junk that this guy spent his day digging up. Now he's all worked up about the "wreath." Give me a break. :dontknow:

What is the basis for your seemingly rude post, "quanty" .. Are you an expert on these? Love to hear your rational. Thanks
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Apologies for the totally inappropriate post. It's just my own frustration mixed with some serious envy. I wrote it at the end of a long fruitless hunt, and after coming home and looking at my own poor collection I began questioning the nature of the way I'm spending my time and the value in doing what we do.

There's no doubt the Texas Buckle is a brilliant find. I only wish it had been mind. Best of luck to Kyphote who's clearly got what it takes

My chief interest and area of expertise is in CW field medical apparatus. I am an MD myself and find inspiration in the medical innovations that the War, horrible as it was, brought forth at an incredible rate. These doctors were literally pioneering medical science on a daily basis, developing tools overnight. I have a particular interest in spinal treatments.

creskol said:
quantsystems said:
What's the big deal. Looks pretty poor to me. A piece of old junk that this guy spent his day digging up. Now he's all worked up about the "wreath." Give me a break. :dontknow:

What is the basis for your seemingly rude post, "quanty" .. Are you an expert on these? Love to hear your rational. Thanks
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Talk about wishy washy. I guess I'm more confused than I am insulted. An MD? Really?? This could be as far as I plan to take this one.
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

quantsystems said:
Apologies for the totally inappropriate post. It's just my own frustration mixed with some serious envy. I wrote it at the end of a long fruitless hunt, and after coming home and looking at my own poor collection I began questioning the nature of the way I'm spending my time and the value in doing what we do.

There's no doubt the Texas Buckle is a brilliant find. I only wish it had been mind. Best of luck to Kyphote who's clearly got what it takes

My chief interest and area of expertise is in CW field medical apparatus. I am an MD myself and find inspiration in the medical innovations that the War, horrible as it was, brought forth at an incredible rate. These doctors were literally pioneering medical science on a daily basis, developing tools overnight. I have a particular interest in spinal treatments.

creskol said:
quantsystems said:
What's the big deal. Looks pretty poor to me. A piece of old junk that this guy spent his day digging up. Now he's all worked up about the "wreath." Give me a break. :dontknow:

What is the basis for your seemingly rude post, "quanty" .. Are you an expert on these? Love to hear your rational. Thanks


Well,it was big of you to clear that up,your original reply instantly raised my hackles....I hate that!All I can say is hang in there,it is obvious you do not know what you are looking at,not that I would expect everybody to be an expert,but one should know what they are talking about before bashing like that.If I may offer a tip Research!!!With your finds will improve :thumbsup:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Nice buckle :icon_thumleft:
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

:icon_scratch: $554

I hope you are selling it for "good", reasons and not because you have to?
One of the finest finds I have seen on here :thumbsup:
 
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

kyphote said:
Aquila said:

Thanks for noticing. I'm ok with it not meeting my reserve but I wish I knew what the highest bid was. I'm learning that ebay doesn't reveal the highest bid until it exceeds the reserve price. So I'm still in the dark as to what someone might pay.


Yes, but not a good sign if only one guy is willing to go higher than that. I almost bid $600 just for fun (seriously I almost did) because I didn't think i'd have any chance to win. Don't these usually go for much more? If so, you have to ask yourself why your auction was so dead.... and if the bidding was only a small % of what it should bring then you're very lucky you had a reserve because it probably means the bidders are a little suspect of the buckle and will not risk the money. You really have to rethink this, because it doesn't really make sense... at least to me. Also the holidays is a very bad time to sell something like this, but I think there's more to it.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Iron Patch said:
kyphote said:
Aquila said:

Thanks for noticing. I'm ok with it not meeting my reserve but I wish I knew what the highest bid was. I'm learning that ebay doesn't reveal the highest bid until it exceeds the reserve price. So I'm still in the dark as to what someone might pay.


Yes, but not a good sign if only one guy is willing to go higher than that. I almost bid $600 just for fun (but seriously I almost did) because I didn't think i'd have any chance to win. Don't these usually go for much more? If so, you have to ask yourself why your auction was so dead.... and if the bidding was only a small % of what it should bring then you're very lucky you had a reserve because it probably means the bidders are a little suspect of the buckle and will not risk the money. You really have to rethink this, because it doesn't really make sense... at least to me. Also the holidays is a very bad time to sell something like this, but I think there's more to it.

The market is really goofy right now,#1 the economy but here lately a common type of buckle for us has had several go through with prices ranging from $100 to $150,to some not even bid on yet there is one exact example on right now that is already over $200...there is no rhyme or reason
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Iron Patch said:
kyphote said:
Aquila said:

Thanks for noticing. I'm ok with it not meeting my reserve but I wish I knew what the highest bid was. I'm learning that ebay doesn't reveal the highest bid until it exceeds the reserve price. So I'm still in the dark as to what someone might pay.


Yes, but not a good sign if only one guy is willing to go higher than that. I almost bid $600 just for fun (but seriously I almost did) because I didn't think i'd have any chance to win. Don't these usually go for much more? If so, you have to ask yourself why your auction was so dead.... and if the bidding was only a small % of what it should bring then you're very lucky you had a reserve because it probably means the bidders are a little suspect of the buckle and will not risk the money. You really have to rethink this, because it doesn't really make sense... at least to me. Also the holidays is a very bad time to sell something like this, but I think there's more to it.

I'm thinking risk factor, as well. Confederate stuff is forged so often, I assume a lot of buyers want to see it in person and have it further authenticated. Certainly understandable and why I placed the reserve.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

kyphote said:
Iron Patch said:
kyphote said:
Aquila said:

Thanks for noticing. I'm ok with it not meeting my reserve but I wish I knew what the highest bid was. I'm learning that ebay doesn't reveal the highest bid until it exceeds the reserve price. So I'm still in the dark as to what someone might pay.


Yes, but not a good sign if only one guy is willing to go higher than that. I almost bid $600 just for fun (but seriously I almost did) because I didn't think i'd have any chance to win. Don't these usually go for much more? If so, you have to ask yourself why your auction was so dead.... and if the bidding was only a small % of what it should bring then you're very lucky you had a reserve because it probably means the bidders are a little suspect of the buckle and will not risk the money. You really have to rethink this, because it doesn't really make sense... at least to me. Also the holidays is a very bad time to sell something like this, but I think there's more to it.

I'm thinking risk factor, as well. Confederate stuff is forged so often, I assume a lot of buyers want to see it in person and have it further authenticated. Certainly understandable and why I placed the reserve.


Reserve auctions can flop, seen it many times.

If you are sure about the value, and the figure you'd be happy with... add 20% to that total and put it on at a fixed price with best offer. When you do that there is no rush, also no risk, and it will get the conversation going with the people who are serious.

PS: just seen the high bidder only has a feedback of 5 so that tends to say even more so the interest really wasn't there.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Iron Patch said:
kyphote said:
Iron Patch said:
kyphote said:
Aquila said:

Thanks for noticing. I'm ok with it not meeting my reserve but I wish I knew what the highest bid was. I'm learning that ebay doesn't reveal the highest bid until it exceeds the reserve price. So I'm still in the dark as to what someone might pay.


Yes, but not a good sign if only one guy is willing to go higher than that. I almost bid $600 just for fun (but seriously I almost did) because I didn't think i'd have any chance to win. Don't these usually go for much more? If so, you have to ask yourself why your auction was so dead.... and if the bidding was only a small % of what it should bring then you're very lucky you had a reserve because it probably means the bidders are a little suspect of the buckle and will not risk the money. You really have to rethink this, because it doesn't really make sense... at least to me. Also the holidays is a very bad time to sell something like this, but I think there's more to it.

I'm thinking risk factor, as well. Confederate stuff is forged so often, I assume a lot of buyers want to see it in person and have it further authenticated. Certainly understandable and why I placed the reserve.


Reserve auctions can flop, seen it many times.

If you are sure about the value, and the figure you'd be happy with... add 20% to that total and put it on at a fixed price with best offer. When you do that there is no rush, also no risk, and it will get the conversation going with the people who are serious.

PS: just seen the high bidder only has a feedback of 5 so that tends to say even more so the interest really wasn't there.

I agree reserve auctions tend to be a deterrent (they are for me anyway) but I didn't want to chance it. The fixed price route may be best moving forward. Or just approaching buyers in person. Good lesson learned for me and probably others. Thanks, IP.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

kyphote said:
Iron Patch said:
kyphote said:
Iron Patch said:
kyphote said:
Aquila said:

Thanks for noticing. I'm ok with it not meeting my reserve but I wish I knew what the highest bid was. I'm learning that ebay doesn't reveal the highest bid until it exceeds the reserve price. So I'm still in the dark as to what someone might pay.


Yes, but not a good sign if only one guy is willing to go higher than that. I almost bid $600 just for fun (but seriously I almost did) because I didn't think i'd have any chance to win. Don't these usually go for much more? If so, you have to ask yourself why your auction was so dead.... and if the bidding was only a small % of what it should bring then you're very lucky you had a reserve because it probably means the bidders are a little suspect of the buckle and will not risk the money. You really have to rethink this, because it doesn't really make sense... at least to me. Also the holidays is a very bad time to sell something like this, but I think there's more to it.

I'm thinking risk factor, as well. Confederate stuff is forged so often, I assume a lot of buyers want to see it in person and have it further authenticated. Certainly understandable and why I placed the reserve.


Reserve auctions can flop, seen it many times.

If you are sure about the value, and the figure you'd be happy with... add 20% to that total and put it on at a fixed price with best offer. When you do that there is no rush, also no risk, and it will get the conversation going with the people who are serious.

PS: just seen the high bidder only has a feedback of 5 so that tends to say even more so the interest really wasn't there.

I agree reserve auctions tend to be a deterrent (they are for me anyway) but I didn't want to chance it. The fixed price route may be best moving forward. Or just approaching buyers in person. Good lesson learned for me and probably others. Thanks, IP.


You should contact some of the bigger dealers and see what they have to say.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom