Texas Info

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
I will be visiting the Denton and Houston area for a week at the end of this month. I,m not asking where to go just wondering if there are restrictions on detecting city, county or state parks. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you. PJ

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Scan through some of these threads and you will learn a lot about where you can hunt. State parks are out as well as many parks.

I have learned a lot about where you can hunt, I always hunted old private sites until I got back into MDing and used the parks for a bit of practice. I probably hunted MANY sites I should not have.

Good Luck!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
PJ in WI said:
I will be visiting the Denton and Houston area for a week at the end of this month. I,m not asking where to go just wondering if there are restrictions on detecting city, county or state parks. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you. PJ

State Parks are off limits and so is Harris County Precinct 4 County parks. Most Houston city parks are ok to detect. Check the rules sign at the park to make sure ...if the sign says Precinct 4---it is off limits.

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Shaw and Dimeman. Thanks for the info. I will surely be looking for #4. Thanks PJ

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
I have hunted parks in Denton before with no problems...Parks are ok to detect...Good luck
HH
Baggins

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Harris County Precinct 4 County parks are on the north side of Houston if I'm not mistaken. Stay away from that side. HH John

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re the Pct 4 parks. Are there any signs up saying metal detecting is prohibited? If there are no signs I really dont think the constables can arrest you! For an activity to be 'illegal' to result in an arrest, there has to be a law or rule! I have researched the Harris County Commissioners courts rulings and I could not find any rules about metal detecting except for the sites near Jesse Jones park near Humble. If no sign, there is no law or rule.

But, if you want to metal detect, try Old Town Spring. The parking lots to the south are pretty good. I have found lots of clad and even an 1854 dime. An old general store used to stand at the nw corner of Bammel Road and Hardy. Was moved in the early 70's. There are lots of areas in the downtown area that are under construction. If no fence is up try it. Found a 1799 Mex 1/2 Reale (bout the size of a dime) at the old Bland Cadillac place about 15 yrs ago. And the beachs are always good for clad, and sometimes a ring or two.

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Baggins, Texasdigger1 and jas415. Thanks for your replies. I've been to Denton before but never to Houston. Your info will steer me in the right direction. Thanks again. PJ

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
PJ, in Houston, you might give Memorial Park a try. Old WW1 training camp and still giving up old stuff! I love going there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread