monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'm still pumped up so I hope I don't make mistakes on this post. I went back to my poverty point site because the farmer told me he had burned and disk the field and I could do what ever I wanted to in his fields. So I got my shovel, bucket and screen and hit it at dawn. I have been finding things on one little rise, so that's where I dug at. First thing I found I didn't know what it was till I washed it off. I think it is a pottery game piece that did not get finished. pp finds 9-15-13 013.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 014.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 017.JPG You can see that it is concave on both sides and they ground on the edges trying to make it round. Then I found some other items pp finds 9-15-13 005.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 006.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 029.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 021.JPG I was getting tired by now I was only going 1ft to 1 1/2ft deep but I had done dug a 6x6 area and sifted it all. Then I found this. pp finds 9-15-13 018.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 019.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 033.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 035.JPG It's just a crinoid stem fossil, but I have never seen one of this color in this area, most are just brown chert. This gave me a little more juice to hunt some more, I was ready to stop and I thought just one more scoop, and then this showed up on the screen. pp finds 9-15-13 003.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 004.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 009.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 010.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 011.JPG I thought I was going to faint and wet my pants at the same time. This has been my Holy grail, my number 1 on my bucket list, I could not get my breath. I was in shock for 15 min. I still can't get over it and may not for a long time. Here are some pics of it cleaned. pp finds 9-15-13 037.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 038.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 039.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 040.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 041.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 042.JPG pp finds 9-15-13 045.JPG I have only seen ones like this one in a museum. I am still in shock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey M R are you going to put it on a cord or in a frame?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Holy Smokes that is an awesome piece. I guess maybe I should sift all the time! Wow and congrats on the well deserved Banner!!! jgas

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey M R are you going to put it on a cord or in a frame?

I want to find a case that it could be set on something kinda like in my photos, and be lit up by one small spot light. I'm talking with a guy on making me one out of plexa glass on 4 sides an a mirror in the bottom or 3 sides plastic mirror in back and bottom.:dontknow:

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes that is an awesome piece. I guess maybe I should sift all the time! Wow and congrats on the well deserved Banner!!! jgas

To tell the truth the only reason I sifted, was the ground had been disked and we have had no rain, an I had localized my hunting area and I never have any luck on disk ground with out some rain on it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt think you would put it on a cord. I was joking of course.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that unique and amazing save. :hello2: Beauty of a N.A. artifact. WTG on the Banner, too. :thumbsup:

HH

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little info I have discovered about my site, The gaming piece is not of the time line of poverty point, so I have multi occupation site. The dark colored pottery is poverty point time line, I showed my find to a couple of friends that work for the state, the crinoid is for sure a bead, it has been polished by man and they are the ones that informed me about the two types of pottery, and they want to go to the site, but as the land owner told me he does not want anyone with the state on his land. So now they ask if I would grid it off and document everything the correct way, my response was no way , that is very slow digging. I will take photos and draw a pic of how thing where laid out and share that info with them. They even offered to trade some info on other sites in my area, but I think I may have something more to be found than what they can offer. Who knows there my not be another item there, I sure hope not.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope the state guys don't pull some funny stuff.
I'm all for documentation ..but..I would be very hesitant about that.
One photo..of one bone animal or not could be enough to argue possible burial it seems.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope the state guys don't pull some funny stuff.
I'm all for documentation ..but..I would be very hesitant about that.
One photo..of one bone animal or not could be enough to argue possible burial it seems.

I'm not worried about the state guys I know to much dirt on them and Have know them a long long time:binkybaby:, and the site is in another state from them. They don't wont to go there for the state, they wont to go there for their on personal collecting:evil4:, that's how I know some dirt on them:evil5:, I have pics of past digs and they know it, what are good friends for.:laughing7:>:D

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow look at that thing..so cool

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
That's unbelievable! This is the first time I remember reading about them. Beautiful bead. It's funny that it looks like an owl from the front and a hawk from the side. I googled some others and there was one that was similar in a different stone but none so nice as this one. Wow!

Gfrrt

Sep 23, 2013
Monroe
Detector(s) used
White's cm pro and Discovery 1100 with garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thought you might like to see these 002.JPG

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is truly neat looking. I could see myself putting some hemp rope through it and making the coolest necklace ever but that is but a sweet nothing as it is your awesome piece. Great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread