Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Pro is at the Garrett hospital for some much-needed warranty repairs. I was having withdrawal symptoms yesterday :sad1: so after work I grabbed the Fisher F2 and headed out to the site where I found the cufflinks. After about an hour or so of digging all signals (including iron) in the heat with little success I decided to check the perimeter of the field. Just inside the woods I hit a very good signal right next to one of my (covered) dig holes from another day. ??? Much to my surprise, about three inches down a complete brass shoe buckle frame popped out!

2016-07-15 09 00 25.jpg

I have found pieces of shoe buckles before, but never a complete frame. The middle part of the iron tongue mechanism is still there but rusted badly.

2016-07-15 08 56 24.jpg

2016-07-15 08 55 18.jpg

2016-07-15 08 58 20.jpg

This has been on my bucket list for a long time and I was thrilled to check it off the list. I guess now I need to do some more exploring in the woods-who knows what might be there!

Upvote 23

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KILLER! That's a heck of a complete frame to dig too. :headbang: Very ornate and seems like it would be more fragile than a solid frame. All of my complete ones are the solid frame type. Loving this site of yours and cant wait until they plow it.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KILLER! That's a heck of a complete frame to dig too. :headbang: Very ornate and seems like it would be more fragile than a solid frame. All of my complete ones are the solid frame type. Loving this site of yours and cant wait until they plow it.

Thanks Brad. I'm not sure what to do about the iron part-can't do electrolysis because of the brass so it will continue to rust. Should I remove it? I think the frame would display better without it.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brad. I'm not sure what to do about the iron part-can't do electrolysis because of the brass so it will continue to rust. Should I remove it? I think the frame would display better without it.

Those mixed material items are always bitter sweet to find as far as preservation goes. ha If it were me, I would probably leave it as it is for now and enjoy it.

Here's why: A couple years ago I dug this knee buckle. It was a nice green, but the iron in the middle I thought was ugly. I decided to try and preserve the iron with electrolysis and not only lost the patina (expected) but the iron also broke in half and fell off. It looked its best before I messed with it.

IMG_20160715_100852.jpg

I have preserved items that were originally in two pieces where the oxidation breaks the continuity of metal. So, there is a chance you could zap the iron and its not conductive to the brass.... but after I ruined that knee buckle, I wouldn't even chance it with a buckle like yours. So I wouldn't do any electrolysis on that shoe buckle iron pin.

I say leave it with the iron for now because it might grow on you and you enjoy seeing where the pin went across the buckle. Once you break it off there is no going back. If you think its ugly down the road then break off the iron and enjoy it!

Once again, sick buckle man :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love shoe buckles,congrats on the site that keeps giving.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great dig Glenn. Congratulations on reducing your bucket list. It came out great after cleaning. I'm glad I could leave it for you to find knowing how you've been wanting to find one. Man you're gonna have to store your boat at your mom's house so you can turn garage into a relic room if you keep this up and this is only the start of that area.I agree with Brad I'd leave it as is.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome I like seeing people find their bucket list items.Garrett is great with service repair and replacements free of charge.Im sure there is more in those woods I know what its like not to have your detector Its kinda like winter here in ?Michigan Great job!!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Those mixed material items are always bitter sweet to find as far as preservation goes. ha If it were me, I would probably leave it as it is for now and enjoy it.

Here's why: A couple years ago I dug this knee buckle. It was a nice green, but the iron in the middle I thought was ugly. I decided to try and preserve the iron with electrolysis and not only lost the patina (expected) but the iron also broke in half and fell off. It looked its best before I messed with it.

View attachment 1336733

I have preserved items that were originally in two pieces where the oxidation breaks the continuity of metal. So, there is a chance you could zap the iron and its not conductive to the brass.... but after I ruined that knee buckle, I wouldn't even chance it with a buckle like yours. So I wouldn't do any electrolysis on that shoe buckle iron pin.

I say leave it with the iron for now because it might grow on you and you enjoy seeing where the pin went across the buckle. Once you break it off there is no going back. If you think its ugly down the road then break off the iron and enjoy it!

Once again, sick buckle man :thumbsup:

Ewww Brad! Lol. And just when you think you've seen it all years later, you see my buckle;)

To the OP- wow, that's an amazing shoe buckle. If it were me I would keep the pin as is and maybe apply several coats of poly with a brush.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW. Very well done DND. That is an extremely nice find.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fabulous Buckle frame, congrats

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the shoe buckle frame. Those open work ones are tough to find intact.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Beautiful buckle

Congrats must have been some wealthy individual living there

HH Jer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one!

You could use some needle nose pliers to trim the rust, and then paint on a coat of clear lacquer to seal it... leaving the buckle as is. Maybe just seal the brass on the bottom that's around the iron.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice frame. Of the 20 complete frames I've dug only 2 are complete openwork frames

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another etched tombac button at the site this evening-another indication that the home owners had money.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest: