The "Curse of Oak Island" Team... A+

E

enochsea7

I'd just like to go ahead and make a prediction for the record. This is an absolutely stellar team working on the Oak Island mystery. Everyone from Gary Drayton (the metal detecting expert) to Doug Crowell (the researcher) has been producing truly impressive results. These guys are going to find something that could perhaps change the world of treasure hunting forever. Get ready for a flood of competition guys!!!

That cross found at Smith's Cove is AMAZING. Congratulations on a once in a lifetime find.

:occasion14:

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL you MUST be young

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When I read the title of the thread I predicted you just signed up.

Nice selection of equipment you have though.

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geee... you sure are enthusiastic ...:icon_thumright: Their show continuity troubles me .....finding the cross only a week after returning from France, (Im glad they took the castle gift shop price tag off it before putting it on TV:laughing7:) , The previous day the entire crew was wearing fall /heavy coats yet just a day later the dynamic duo were on the beach finding the cross in summer clothes. How anything can be found in situ at Smith's cove is a stretch or a miracle made for TV . The area was excavated well below sea level by the Restalls , then again by Dunfield and Blankenship in the late 60's . Prior to that the area was dynamited randomly in an effort to shut off the flood tunnels. The cross itself was in to pristine condition to have endured hundreds of years of wave action in sand and rocks. , let alone being dug up , and dynamited.
Everyone in this forum could do what Mr. Drayton does. He's experienced but far from an expert.
The ships log skit seems a bit sketchy , no ship name on the log, no captain's name, no dates. ... to many holes to be believable if done by a crack researcher but perhaps a researcher on crack .....
I truly hope you remain as optimistic as Jack is.

OP
OP
E

enochsea7

I mean yeah there's obviously a production going on because they have to make a TV show. No one wants to sit there and watch Gary scan a beach all day, we want to see the moment he makes a find, for example. Those kinds of things are to be expected and go without saying, frankly. But the rest is pretty legit in my opinion. I've been in contact with one of the crew personally for a while now. These guys aren't doing this just to bullsh*t everyone. They're actually going for this. I'd say they all deserve quite a bit of respect for what they've been able to achieve so far. The Oak Island legend has much more merit than a lot of other treasure legends out there. You're reactions don't surprise me though... most people live in a state of utter negativity/skepticism about anything that happens outside of their small bubble of perceived reality. This of course is why 99% of us are scrapping the bottom while the top 1% live like kings. Just the way of the world I guess.

But in terms of treasure hunting, these guys are already waaay above the level of most treasure hunters on here whether they find the vault or not. My hats off to them.

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Always wondered when they go to a site, and there's 4 of them and only one has a detector? Not in a hurry I guess.

OP
OP
E

enochsea7

Always wondered when they go to a site, and there's 4 of them and only one has a detector? Not in a hurry I guess.

It's an organized team. Each member has their role to play. They hired Gary to do the scanning... Jack does the digging... Rick and Marty Lagina are the financiers. The rich guys don't like to get their hands dirty. This is a common set up in any real treasure hunting team... Perhaps most of you have never experienced anything like that. Absolutely the show will attempt to milk every minute of time out of its viewers it possibly can. But obviously the treasure hunters want to find the vault and get mega rich as quickly as possible just like any of us. They probably already have. We're still fortunate to have the opportunity to witness something like this at any rate.

Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's an organized team. Each member has their role to play. They hired Gary to do the scanning... Jack does the digging... Rick and Marty Lagina are the financiers. The rich guys don't like to get their hands dirty. This is a common set up in any real treasure hunting team... Perhaps most of you have never experienced anything like that. Absolutely the show will attempt to milk every minute of time out of its viewers it possibly can. But obviously the treasure hunters want to find the vault and get mega rich as quickly as possible just like any of us. They probably already have. We're still fortunate to have the opportunity to witness something like this at any rate.

I forget what the Canadian treasure trove, archaeological, antiquities department is called up there but they would have to be in on containing the secret as well, since all finds and discoveries of any importance have to be submitted to them and nothing of significance has been reported yet even though the current show took place last summer.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
[URL="http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/123682.html" said:
enochsea7[/URL];5669932]Where does one check if anything has been reported? From my experience here in the Philippines, if anyone finds anything of any significance don't expect to hear doodly squat from the government about it. They will deny that any treasure exists at all, no matter what may have slipped out on social media or elsewhere. One reason is because when people get even the slightest suspicion that there could be treasure in the ground you get everyone and their grand pappy out digging 200 ft holes in the yard. It causes a huge environmental problem (landslides, deaths from cave-ins, drownings etc...). If I had to guess I'd say the Canadian government is probably not too fond of the show. From what I remember in the beginning some in the government tried to even shut it down with new regulations at one point when they started finding those really old coins and it became clear that they could actually be on to something.

Supposedly something would have shown up here:

https://nslegislature.ca/legislative-business/hansard-debates

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if they do find something it won't change much of history. It's a scripted made-for-TV process with no diligence in maintaining the integrity of the site (which, granted, has none because of the dozens of times it has been raked over by past attempts). No one would take it seriously. If they find something of value it will be an interesting footnote because it will be impossible to assign a date of when it was placed on site.

Suppose that the "lost manuscripts" of Gary Larson had been buried in a vault - and they drilled in and hit it with the high pressure water jet. It would then be a bunch of old pulp damaged beyond hope of recovery.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS belongs here...0:09 into video
>>

Last edited:

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geee... you sure are enthusiastic ...:icon_thumright: Their show continuity troubles me .....finding the cross only a week after returning from France, (Im glad they took the castle gift shop price tag off it before putting it on TV:laughing7:) , The previous day the entire crew was wearing fall /heavy coats yet just a day later the dynamic duo were on the beach finding the cross in summer clothes. How anything can be found in situ at Smith's cove is a stretch or a miracle made for TV . The area was excavated well below sea level by the Restalls , then again by Dunfield and Blankenship in the late 60's . Prior to that the area was dynamited randomly in an effort to shut off the flood tunnels. The cross itself was in to pristine condition to have endured hundreds of years of wave action in sand and rocks. , let alone being dug up , and dynamited.
Everyone in this forum could do what Mr. Drayton does. He's experienced but far from an expert.
The ships log skit seems a bit sketchy , no ship name on the log, no captain's name, no dates. ... to many holes to be believable if done by a crack researcher but perhaps a researcher on crack .....
I truly hope you remain as optimistic as Jack is.

All it takes is one the show runners telling one of his guys to drive over the causeway during the night in the winter season, and burying the cross somewhere on the island where it can later be found. Then next season, work in the Templar angle, the visit to Paris, etc. into the script and suggest to Rick and Gary that they try metal detecting near Smith's Cove. Rick may not be in on it, but he's as gullible as hell.

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word is out- While metal detecting- They found a safe 300 feet down in the money pit that belongs to Fred Capone- Al's great great great great Grandfather
The Capone family On Oak Island? How did it get there? What treasures does it hold? Who put it there? Who's going to haul it to the surface?
Rick & Marty are headed to Chicago to do more research.

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Word is out- While metal detecting- They found a safe 300 feet down in the money pit that belongs to Fred Capone- Al's great great great great Grandfather
The Capone family On Oak Island? How did it get there? What treasures does it hold? Who put it there? Who's going to haul it to the surface?
Rick & Marty are headed to Chicago to do more research.

I understand their going to get Geraldo Rivera to open it while they film a special on the event.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I will add is this - I was offered a water hunting show years ago - and on the contract it said if I could not produce the "wow" factor every time
that they would - and I had absolutely no say in the matter - that was the deal breaker for me - that and contract said I would do as I'm told and keep my mouth shut as far as ideas or opinions were concerned - that it was not my show but theirs - didn't like that either

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been interested in Oak Island for 55+ years, just did not have the capital. I have a question:
With all the money they have spent to date in drilling, could they have not invested in some type of ground penetrating radar and maybe find an entrance that way ? Seems like a lot more cost effective and less intrusive. No matter how slow they proceed, once they breach the "vault", if it has not already been done so by Fred Blair in 1893, the contents will be soaked in water and possibly destroyed as a unrecognizable. The skin or parchment may not be so bad, but whatever the writings are/were will be probably destroyed ?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the man made caves/tunnels down there along with some naturally made ones there is no way to detect what is what with a sonar I don't think. The few times they have dropped some kind of sonar down a hole the info it send backs can't be replicated by a diver..

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on whatever they find, absolutely there's a high chance of being able to assign a date range for when it was placed there. Just about as good a chance as any. Of course there is a fear that something priceless such as manuscripts could be damaged in the excavation process. But the methods they've chosen to use to excavate the vault are the least invasive, most intricate methods in existence. They didn't have the option to take years to dig the hole by hand like paleontologists. Should they just leave it buried in the dirt? If the suspicions around who could have buried this treasure and where it could have come from are even remotely accurate then the historical revelations gained from its excavation could be very significant. Not to mention the wealth that could be gained.

So I say by all means, drill away

As they say in Louisiana, “Drill Baby Drill”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread