What's new

The Flaming Kirk!

bmartin0693

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
280
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the "Flaming" Kirk. It glows fire! I'm not real familiar with arrowheads from Florida and I'm not even sure what this material is, chert? It actually, kinda looks like a piece of candy in your hand. I'll have to show some more pictures of it later. It's a nice'n!
 

Attachments

  • 0426130101.webp
    0426130101.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 0426130110.webp
    0426130110.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You will have to post more pictures.
There is translucent Flint and there is also agatized coral here in Florida.
 
Alright, I will. I would really like to know more about this Kirk. I wanted to see if anyone was interested with this first. I'll show ya some more pictures tomorrow. I have some more arrowheads from FL on another thread. Take a look at 'em too, if you don't mind. I know their types, but not the material used. I would really appreciate any help you can offer.
 
You got it. I will help however I can.
 
Here's the extra pics. Sorry I couldnt take a backlit picture, it has been too cloudy. What I really like about this arrowhead is the appearance. When I first bought it, I never knew the material had translucence. I was thinkin it was a type of chert/agate. I am also not real familiar with what arrowheads look like, being found in the FL environment. What is river polishedf? I'm sure you guys can help me out here. I would really enjoy learning more about this piece. Thanks! 8-)
 

Attachments

  • 0427130027.webp
    0427130027.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 0427130050.webp
    0427130050.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 0427130053a.webp
    0427130053a.webp
    106.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 0427130054.webp
    0427130054.webp
    145.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 0427130056.webp
    0427130056.webp
    154.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Ahhh.. we can see it now.
Looks like a quality piece of Florida Flint with some nice translucence.
I think I have some pieces of basically the same material.
Just using a cellphone at the moment..who knows how the photos will look.

ForumRunner_20130427_194105.webp



ForumRunner_20130427_194312.webp



ForumRunner_20130427_194349.webp
 
Last edited:
Nice! That material really flames up in a lot of light. Would you think that this piece is archaic in age? I see some patina but it has a real vitreous luster. You think it's river polished?
 
It looks like river Polish and patina to me. Archaic.. yes..it's a Kirk.
Early Archaic. 6,000-9,000 BP.
Beautiful point. How did you wind up with it? If you don't mind?
 
Last edited:
I like collecting any exotic rocks and materials. My collection consists of various rare lithic materials, rocks & gems. Kirks are one of my favorite arrowheads too. The 1st whole point I found was a thin Kirk. I mainly enjoy collecting the arrowheads only, but if I can find another historic piece, I'll gladly accept it. I ended up buying it on ebay. I saw this piece of eye candy and actually won it. I paid about $35. When I buy arrowheads on ebay, they have to atleast look fine for me to pay $20. I'm really picky. I've ended up winning some real nice pieces. I've never paid over $75 for an arrowhead on ebay, some w/ COAs.
 
Last edited:
very nice point
 
I think that you have a fine looking river point! And although I do not sell artifacts, I think you got it for a good price.
 
I like collecting any exotic rocks and materials. My collection consists of various rare lithic materials, rocks & gems. Kirks are one of my favorite arrowheads too. The 1st whole point I found was a thin Kirk. I mainly enjoy collecting the arrowheads only, but if I can find another historic piece, I'll gladly accept it. I ended up buying it on ebay. I saw this piece of eye candy and actually won it. I paid about $35. When I buy arrowheads on ebay, they have to atleast look fine for me to pay $20. I'm really picky. I've ended up winning some real nice pieces. I've never paid over $75 for an arrowhead on ebay, some w/ COAs.

I just want to say.. I would be careful doing that.
People have got really good at putting modern knapped points in rock tumblers with sand and fine polishing powder to achive a river Polish effect then rub them with an artificial patina.
Getting a point papered alone from anyone credible will cost more than 20 dollars... what money would the seller make?
ebay..at your own risk
 
Last edited:
Now that I have it, I won't be sellin it. This is my favorite arrowhead, besides my NC ones. Thanks for all your compliments!
 
Yea I see what your saying. I am definitely skeptical too. I bought this from a seller with 100% feedback and a rating in the 1000s or more. If I seen something fishy at the begining, I was gonna automatically return it. I don't buy if I can't return it. Can artificial patinas be removed though?
 
I just want to say.. I would be careful doing that.
People have got really good at putting modern knapped points in rock tumblers with sand and fine polishing powder to achive a river Polish effect then rub them with an artificial patina.
Getting a point papered alone from anyone credible will cost more than 20 dollars... what money would the seller make?
ebay..at your own risk


Gator is right about the fakes. I too would stay away from e-bay or any other site that sells artifacts and only buy from people I know & trust. It's only a matter of time with e-bay items until you get burned with a fake. JMO.
 
Ok I agree. I've bought one and returned it immediately before. I can spot a rigid fake or the lack of obvious patina. The arrowheads I do buy are usually from NC. I'm real familiar with environmental changes on NC arrowheads and know the main faked NC types are clovis, dalton & hardaway. I did take a gamble there, I knew I did. As the collector I am, I just really enjoy the material compositions also. Sometimes I'd rather buy a scraper with a material I like on ebay, besides just buying a whole arrowhead.
 
I see where your coming from and you seem on the ball.. just keep those you buy seperate as I'm sure you do.
Having a good hands on knowlage of your local material and patina is a big advantage.
 
that is a nice river point with a Suwannee looking patina....a lot of those river points will be translucent
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom