The Gilded Couple (The Gilded Lens) - A golden journey.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! Put fools gold in one and real gold in the other. It could be like a prospector's test.

Kevin, I ended up doing that. I quiz my customers at work when they realize I'm wearing gold pans. Surprising amount of people get it wrong. When I ask why they though the real gold was the pyrite they say that it just looked too perfect!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin, I ended up doing that. I quiz my customers at work when they realize I'm wearing gold pans. Surprising amount of people get it wrong. When I ask why they though the real gold was the pyrite they say that it just looked too perfect!

Great gold!! :icon_thumright: I must ask...Wearing gold pans?:icon_scratch:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well done to all. Prospecting with goldenmojo and Co is on my bucket list for sure. If you haven't done it yet...after you dry your gold out...transfer it from paper plate to a piece of printer paper and rejoice in hearing each and every speck make noise upon impact. :love4:

Caution: Has been found to be habit forming.:tongue1:

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always a pleasure to get out with Mojo! Glad you had a great time!

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great gold!! :icon_thumright: I must ask...Wearing gold pans?:icon_scratch:

LOL, sorry, gold pan EARRINGS. They're pictured a couple pages back.
attachment.php

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GL It was a fantastic day out with you and Mr. Gilded getting the gold. Both of you are exceptional people and made it very enjoyable. Thanks for taking me to your secret spot, showing up exactly at 8 am as promised and toughing out being wet and the cold rain all morning with no complaints at all. When my outside temp gauge on the truck dropped to 34 on the drive up I was thinking its going to be nippy when it starts raining and it was. We will have to get out again soon and you are always welcome to prospect with me in my neck of the woods. A special thanks for the mini pan pin you gave me. You really should think about selling your creations to all the miners on TNET. Please thank Mr. Gilded also for can do attitude.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GL It was a fantastic day out with you and Mr. Gilded getting the gold. Both of you are exceptional people and made it very enjoyable. Thanks for taking me to your secret spot, showing up exactly at 8 am as promised and toughing out being wet and the cold rain all morning with no complaints at all. When my outside temp gauge on the truck dropped to 34 on the drive up I was thinking its going to be nippy when it starts raining and it was. We will have to get out again soon and you are always welcome to prospect with me in my neck of the woods. A special thanks for the mini pan pin you gave me. You really should think about selling your creations to all the miners on TNET. Please thank Mr. Gilded also for can do attitude.

:occasion14:You're welcome! We had a great time and it was awesome to meet you in person! Can't beat the smell of rain in a gorgeous river canyon, eh? :O Was it really 34F. ? Or was that how cold it was when you headed up? I wonder how cold it was on the river. We headed over to Taco Smell to get some quick food, got home and jumped into a hot shower to wash away the cold. Already itching to get out again.

Have you done your clean-up yet? I wanna see those chunky flakes you were getting out of that bedrock that was trying to swallow you whole. :P

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear you didn't have to drive 40 miles for a burger.....After it hit the 34 degree mark in the cold area it started warming up. I think it was about 40 at 8 am at the parking lot. As others can tell you the cons are going to get dumped into a pan that sits on the counter and gets cleaned up and vialed at some future point. I will see if I can get a pan shot before that happens. You did really well in that one area and there is a lot of ground for you to cover at your spot. Hope to see many more of your panshots here.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447097612.334856.jpg
GM it just so happens we have driven far and wide to the land of palms and animal style. Had to drive someone down to the flat lands for a test.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
great chocolate shakes...flatlanders indeed

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well done to all. Prospecting with goldenmojo and Co is on my bucket list for sure. If you haven't done it yet...after you dry your gold out...transfer it from paper plate to a piece of printer paper and rejoice in hearing each and every speck make noise upon impact. :love4:

Caution: Has been found to be habit forming.:tongue1:

Jeff you have an open prospecting invite here that's good until forever or until cal crumbles into the pacific.... or the roads crumble so bad as to be impassable due to neglect from arrogant mishandling of funds...don't get me started........

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a small nail spill today. Guess I gotta start somewhere. Getting good at finding iron. Thing is definitely sensitive the lead shot was down deep in a hole.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447286379.073612.jpg
Not sure what that thing is on the bottom right. Maybe part of a fence.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447286439.704482.jpg
The hole the mystery thing and lead shot came out of. It's in the brook basin from my early posts.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447286562.489848.jpg
The old GM2. Ignore the settings, I bumped a dial on accident and need to reset the thing. Plus, I'm still learning about it.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really, really need to find a copy of "Zip,Zip, Mastering your nugget detector" by Larry Sallee. He wrote that book using the GM2 and the V-Sat. One of the best books on tuning and using those old Goldmasters ever published. I had my V-sat purring in no time after reading it.
Those old GM's hit on the smallest of targets.
Cool stuff you are finding!
Steve

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GL- I believe the thingy in your picture is a grill support from a vintage cast iron hibatchi.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GL- I believe the thingy in your picture is a grill support from a vintage cast iron hibatchi.

Ohhhhhh! I think you're right! Thanks! Dang made its way about 10 inches under the bottom of the little brook in the yard.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the basic start/set up settings and cheat sheet that I have taped to the bottom of my vsat- should get ya in the ballpark.

Settings
G.E.B.- 5
G.E.B. fine-12 o'clock
Iron ID- set to center
switch set to right on SAT
VSAT switch (bottom of detector) set to off
Threshold - full counterclockwise

Start up
1. Turn GAIN up to 10 while holding detector in air
2. Turn up THRESHOLD approx. 4-5 turns until a soft hum is heard (think mosquito)
3. Lower coil to ground if no squeal -ok, if squeal turn down gain until squeal goes away
4. Ground balance- hold coil detector close to ground, pumping detector up and down (slowly), starting with G.E.B. coarse dial; if sound gets louder on the lift- turn to right. If sounds get louder on the drop- turn to left. Use G.E.B. fine to dial to fine tune.

If I adjust anything I re-ground balance, same goes for changing soil types (dirt to bedrock, or sand or red dirt to brown dirt- you get the idea). These are the very basics of set ups for the detector, I'm sure others have many different settings and approaches and mine may be totally wrong who knows, but for me these were the simpleist and provided good results. Good luck, the vsat is an awesome machine and will find anything a several thousand dollar machine can once you get the ear for it. Learn to trust it. The first time you dig down 4-5 inches and think there is nothing there but end up finding a sliver of a steel bristle brush you can't hardly see or a tiny boot tack you'll become a believer, it don't lie. The Biggest nugget found on our claim so far has come from a VSAT (unfortunately it wasn't mine, lol). The different White's goldmasters have also found more gold than any other brand detector on our claim and we have had some very spendy detectors and very experienced detectorists up there. Could be our soil type lends itself to the White's IDK. One last thing which I'm sure you have already heard - dig it all, ignore the iron id and just dig, some of the bigtgest nuggets ever found have registered as iron or trash. Last thing- a vile of gold will sound different than a nuggie, but your digging it all so that won't matter, right? You can tape or glue nice picker to a poker chip and practise with that to learn the sound.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the basic start/set up settings and cheat sheet that I have taped to the bottom of my vsat- should get ya in the ballpark.

Settings
G.E.B.- 5
G.E.B. fine-12 o'clock
Iron ID- set to center
switch set to right on SAT
VSAT switch (bottom of detector) set to off
Threshold - full counterclockwise

Start up
1. Turn GAIN up to 10 while holding detector in air
2. Turn up THRESHOLD approx. 4-5 turns until a soft hum is heard (think mosquito)
3. Lower coil to ground if no squeal -ok, if squeal turn down gain until squeal goes away
4. Ground balance- hold coil detector close to ground, pumping detector up and down (slowly), starting with G.E.B. coarse dial; if sound gets louder on the lift- turn to right. If sounds get louder on the drop- turn to left. Use G.E.B. fine to dial to fine tune.

If I adjust anything I re-ground balance, same goes for changing soil types (dirt to bedrock, or sand or red dirt to brown dirt- you get the idea). These are the very basics of set ups for the detector, I'm sure others have many different settings and approaches and mine may be totally wrong who knows, but for me these were the simpleist and provided good results. Good luck, the vsat is an awesome machine and will find anything a several thousand dollar machine can once you get the ear for it. Learn to trust it. The first time you dig down 4-5 inches and think there is nothing there but end up finding a sliver of a steel bristle brush you can't hardly see or a tiny boot tack you'll become a believer, it don't lie. The Biggest nugget found on our claim so far has come from a VSAT (unfortunately it wasn't mine, lol). The different White's goldmasters have also found more gold than any other brand detector on our claim and we have had some very spendy detectors and very experienced detectorists up there. Could be our soil type lends itself to the White's IDK. One last thing which I'm sure you have already heard - dig it all, ignore the iron id and just dig, some of the bigtgest nuggets ever found have registered as iron or trash. Last thing- a vile of gold will sound different than a nuggie, but your digging it all so that won't matter, right? You can tape or glue nice picker to a poker chip and practise with that to learn the sound.

Thanks! I downloaded the pdf manual but this is way better!

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went back into the yard for some detecting practice. Took Mr. Gilded out and he got to find some junk too. :)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447636768.648892.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread