The Gilded Couple (The Gilded Lens) - A golden journey.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Nice Picker! Way to get in there deep. I was going to try to wedge myself further in but did not want to become a permanent fixture on the river. Go back and get more. Congrats to you and Mr. Gilded. Also don't send your picker to Kevin. You know bad the mail service is!

For sure! I was worried that any second I would forget that I'd wedged myself into a rabbit hole and move or try to sit and crack my cranium on that boulder!

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couldn't help myself.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448312192.720476.jpg

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try a few nickels they weigh 5.000 grams

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It may be time to recalibrate it. If you have the destructions for it, it should say what weight to use and how to do it. If your not to picky, you can tape up a group of NIckels that equal the calibrate weight needed. Or you can go to one of the local head shops, they sell the calibrate weights and are scale wizards. Good luck

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another trick for a cheap scale:
1. Put scale in grams mode
2. Drop a nickel on there, make note of the reading
3. Add your gold and see the difference in weight
:)

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another trick for a cheap scale:
1. Put scale in grams mode
2. Drop a nickel on there, make note of the reading
3. Add your gold and see the difference in weight
:)

Ooooh good idea! Not sure if I have the instructions or where they're at for this scale.

Ok I tried it. Have three nickels and they all weigh something different. Between like 4.9 and 5.1 grams. Grabbed the 4.9 and then it weighed an even 5 so I used that one. Then put the picker on top. .1 gram

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448356409.657033.jpg

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ooooh good idea! Not sure if I have the instructions or where they're at for this scale.

Ok I tried it. Have three nickels and they all weigh something different. Between like 4.9 and 5.1 grams. Grabbed the 4.9 and then it weighed an even 5 so I used that one. Then put the picker on top. .1 gram

View attachment 1239330

You need to used a setting that gives 3 decimals, if possible. At 5.1 grams total, your picker could be 0.051 grams up to 0.149 grams. Quite a difference. May it be the heavier one! :)

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, after seeing your recommendation, I read the review by Ginkgo and I bought it. I have Prime shipping, so it was under $20 total. My wife doesn't know she just bought me a Christmas present! :)

Let me know how you like it!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got this one because it will measure up to 16.08 troy ounces. Well actually I got it because it will weigh down to 1/100 of a gram.:laughing7: I guess I'm allowed to dream though. SM-501 Digital Pocket Scale

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need to used a setting that gives 3 decimals, if possible. At 5.1 grams total, your picker could be 0.051 grams up to 0.149 grams. Quite a difference. May it be the heavier one! :)

Sorry, I was only giving the difference; it should read 5.051 g (which rounds to 5.1 grams) up to 5.149 grams which also rounds to 5.1 grams.

The way I wrote it was not correct; sorry.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I will; right now, it is wrapped and under the tree. My wife said since it was a Christmas present, I could not "play" with it until after I opened the present. :)

At least she did not complain about it!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I love the American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G. As the title of it states, it does up to 20 grams (if I get a bigger nugget, well, I guess I'll just have wait to weigh it on another scale). It has milligram or 0.001 grams and the calibration weights that came with it weighed out at 10.000 grams and 9.999 grams. The scale is supposed to be accurate within +/- 0.005 g.
Gemini gold scale.JPG

The pan that is part of the weighing system makes it easy to add gold dust to weigh. The little pan just sits on the weighing pedestal and you can move it off by hand or with the tweezers that came with it.

Scale with pan.JPG

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same nickel gave me 5.1 and 5.2 grams when I placed it and removed it then placed it again.

With my new balance, a nickel gave me 4.996 grams. I am sure I could find others that weigh 5.000 g, but will check later. As far as your weighings go, I doubt the mint EVER makes a nickel 0.1 grams or more overweight. As was mentioned, you need to recalibrate. For instructions, take your name and model number and go look on the internet; I am pretty sure that you can find instructions. Good luck with it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just upgraded to the same Gemini scale as Dave has thanks to my wife's Christmas gifting :)
...very happy to have a more accurate scale!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just upgraded to the same Gemini scale as Dave has thanks to my wife's Christmas gifting :)
...very happy to have a more accurate scale!

I am sure you are going to like it. You get a small amount of placer gold every time you go out, usually less than a gram, so this gives you a pretty accurate weight of your take.

My 3 mm x 3 mm "nuggette" weighed 0.018 grams on this scale. BTW, I cannot find the thread where we tested the AGP sluice and posted pictures; I was going to copy the picture and put it here. It looks like it got deleted. Since my computer with the picture is currently down, I cannot get a photo to post.

Anyone know what happened to that thread (and its pictures)?

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BTW, I cannot find the thread where we tested the AGP sluice and posted pictures; I was going to copy the picture and put it here. It looks like it got deleted. Since my computer with the picture is currently down, I cannot get a photo to post.

Anyone know what happened to that thread (and its pictures)?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread