The good and the bad

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If its not homeless people squatting on your land then its dope growing cartelys camping in our mining areas.
I headed out Saturday morning early as planned and had boot to the ground by 7. After hiking and swimming through some narly brush i located the old wagon trail and mining trails branching this way and that. Took some pics and made some notes on good looking spots lower in the drainage as i worked higher and higher. After hiking a few hours i could see the head waters of the stream opening up on the hill slope above. Locating were the old timers had began drifting up the hill chasing the gold out of the creek i switched on the detector and scanned a little before walking around a slight bend in the trail smack dab into a resupply camp for a grow somewhere near by. There were two garbage middens at the mouth of an old drift and a big pile of plastic hose and sleeping bags all covered by camo tarps and wood as to help camo more. Two more piles under near by brush and many bags and tarps suspended in the trees. Pissed at my not being able to get any detecting in and not being armed i high tailed it out of the area very frustrated. I did recon some good info far down in the drainage but wont likely return soon because i like to mine far of the beatn path. Pot choppers was flying afew days latter but unlikely it mattered.

My wife felt bad i never got to detect on Saturday so i hooked up with my mining partner on Sunday afternoon and he brought me to a place he had mined years ago and did well and then hadn't been back due to new owners of the adjacent private property. He had returned three days before and gotten permission to mine. He detected a 1.5 dwt peace and cleaned up a few more dwt of small pickers in a nearby runner the first day and had found another peace around a dwt the day after. We hit the spot around noon and had a great time exploring the area and putting together a good plan for how to cover it in the best way. "sophisticated mining" is what my mining buddy say's always makes me chuckle the way he say's it. I agree though. Its the only way to cream a spot to the last drop. I was able to detect one small picker that led to a few more nearby. Nothing deep but all in crevasses. The gold only weighed .5 dwt but the place looks very promising and there is allot of area to work.

May return this weekend but the weathers still not to hot and i have some places i want to recon before it gets latter in summer.

Go get some Gold!
AjR

Attachments

• wldct2015.jpg
    wldct2015.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
Good job buddy!

Hate to hear about you running into the growers el cartel. We have run into the same deal in trinitys around deer season. Used to be that the only thing you had to worry about in the wilds was a pissed off mother bear, cougar or rattlesnakes. Now there is worse. And some places they use elaborate bobby traps even to protect their cash crops. Hope your safe out there and once again good job on the nice gold!

Thanks Buddy. I've found many grows over the years but they used to just be hippies now that its cartels its allot more dangerous. As i turned and got out of their i was thankful that i hadnt walked into a booby trap since i had found them previously. Afew yrs back i found a spike type drop snare along a main trail. It likely wouldn't have killed someone but would halved maimed them bad - BS. Bunch of us locals have discussed hitn the areas and running them out ourselves since the cops seem inept but then we'd likly be in jail since we work and pay our taxes.

Until next time - Go get some gold!
AjR

I took CalGold to my spot and friggn' homeless/cartels scum also. Never ending mess. I hate the fish hooks on fishing line as the worst as extremely hard to see at all level heights. Had to warm CG/crew about the area found before on our outing. Be careful out there you all and nice shooting AjR-John

Booby Traps of any type would make an unhappy camper out of me but fish hooks, that one would require some serious investigation!..............................63bkpkr

AjR,

I enjoy your tales of your gold hunting adventures. It's great to tag along with you as you write about your nugget hunting experiences. As well, it's nice to pick up some tips too!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Ran into an old grow off swayze in the BLM area.
Lots of plastic jugs and what appeared to be tuna cans.
With the counties banning outdoor grows, hopefully will make it easier for cops to run cartels out of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that sounds terrible and hazardous with all those booby traps, it is a shame, and the garbage, makes me sick about todays attitudes

Ran into an old grow off swayze in the BLM area.
Lots of plastic jugs and what appeared to be tuna cans.
With the counties banning outdoor grows, hopefully will make it easier for cops to run cartels out of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Counties are banning outdoor grows on private land owned by people with a legal state scripts...how on earth is that gonna stop illegal grows on federal land?

The feds don't need any thing to make it easier to get the grows out of our forest.... they just need to actually do it!!!!! They have every mandate to do so already.

the problem is it costs them more to enforce and prosecute then going after the easy targets like miners...who are actually citizens of the local area...vs. ghosts in the forest....not to mention as long as there people in the forest that are " HARD" to catch...there is justification for budget proposals to chase such people that are" hard" to catch and prosecute.

As long as they remain " hard" to catch you can keep asking for money to attempt to catch them...and even if you don't they are still there to need catching so you need more money to keep trying...kind of a stupid cycle isn't it.

Last edited:
If your a bush busting prospector, running into pot plots and degenerate homeless camps is just part of the game these days. I prospect like I deer hunt; full camo, armed to the teeth and hike in very quietly. I won't make any noise dig'n and moving rocks until I know for sure what is or isn't around me. Best to be quiet & slow than take a bullet in the back leading to a shallow grave. If I start seeing junk food wrappers and empty soda or water bottles were there probably shouldn't be.....I really slow down and make sure there's one in the pipe.

Good story AjR! Congratulations on the gold and not getting shot!
I think Hard Prospector said it best. Great and safe technique!

What has become of our country when you have to congratulate a miner for going out and NOT getting shot to death??? OR hauled off to jail on some made up bs charges.... sic sic sic -John

Outdoorsmen used to be looked upon with respect in the community and our ways recognized favorably even by the government. Prospecting, trapping, hunting and fishing was considered not just "manly" but American be it recreation or way of life. It all began to change with the Hippie movement in the 1960's and has gotten worse with no end in sight.........It all just sucks plain and simple.

Thanks for all the comments.
Seems to be a sad fact that if your homeless or an illegal you get to do as you please and if caught get a slap around if that.

Go get some gold!
AjR

Slap , down here they give them an award I think for being bad. Or the law tells them they can stay on private prop. Instead of leaving for instance on hosers prop. They said they can stay. Then later made them leave after a few days. Without picking up their garbage. So nice ole hoser made the officers pick it up. Haha. Thats great. All I worry about now is getting mauled by a hobo, instead of a bear.
Atleast with the cartel they are all gone after harvest, then all winter you got the woods to yourself again.
Take care my friend
Good luck

HP..... CalGold is the original Manzanita Mangler so you can forget bush buster as he graduated waaaaaaaaaay beyond that. Fun to watch the pair as they detect and the brush flies in all directions, You do NOT get in their way....and it's cool too as such uncommon dedication is amazing-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back