The Lost Adams Diggings location - N.M.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK , here is my story. I have heard that the Adams Diggings have been found, but I don't know if that is true or a putoff to others.
In 1996 I started working on this story. I took all the info from 3 versions of this story. One thing is it was SE of Ft Wingate. There were 2 Ft Wingates, 1- 1862-1868, 2-1860-1912. I narrowed it down to the one at the headwaters of Rio Puerco on the site of old Ft Lyon. They crossed a "dry farming area" where there were cantaloupes growing. This area would be to the NW of the Patil Mts. There was a spring that formed a waterfalls in the Adams canyon. This would be the spring that feeds the headwaters of the Rio Saldo river. Follow that river west, taking the left fork and it should lead to the Adams canyon. There is only a narrow winding opening to the canyon. I went out there to look , but I wasn't prepaired for that rough terrain and the long hike in. If I was younger I might try again but as things stand I will just let you in on the info. Good luck, Frank

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Lord Love a Duck ! That is an exclamation , not a facetious comment ;D
Doesn't it suck that by the time we are patient enough to do adequate research we are too infirm to follow many of the results .
It's gracious of you to share some of what you have with those who may be more able to persue the leads . :icon_thumright:
Jim

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't a gonna happen to ME! :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :headbang:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Randy, you know in your avatar there is only one block that is not used ?

In the comment in the opening I was referring to what is required to go for it again. It is a long haul over rough terrain. Horses might have improved my chances, or a Rokon with full tyres, or that smelly mule, but I don't know if I could take the blanket at night, lol Frank

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't win for losing! Knees hurt like the dickens if ya hike across the desert, knees & ankles ache if ya ride the ATV..... Whats us old farts spozed to do :icon_scratch: We just can't catch a break.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
boogeyman said:
Can't win for losing! Knees hurt like the dickens if ya hike across the desert, knees & ankles ache if ya ride the ATV..... Whats us old farts spozed to do :icon_scratch: We just can't catch a break.
Rest on our 'laurels' and visit on TNet :dontknow:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
And there you are Boogey. What do I do? Come the 28th, I will be 62 and could retire at a lesser % of SS, or I could wait to 66 and get 100% and still make all I can on the side. At this time my health is good and gold is pushing $1600.00. In four years my health may or may not be the same and gold could be back down to $600.00. I really doubt it will be that low however. The problem is compounded by the fact that I am making more salary now than ever but my stash is not quite where I need it to be. I do know that I would love to be on a claim in the high country in the Summers and then on a claim in the desert during the Winters. That I enjoy, work here is strictly for the income, which I cannot complain about. It just is not where my heart is. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Gray Cloud, bail out early ! You get less SS but it's like buying freedom. It cost much less to live after you retire. Your time becomes your own and as you said, your health is good now but who knows what the future holds ?
I took the early retirement out and never regretted it. I have now done everything in life that I set out to do. I am now enjoying the icing on the cake. I am soon to be 74 and still can detect the beaches for 4 hours straight at 90*. I can still hop in my Motor Home and drive for 600 mi in a day cross country. Of course my wife has passed and my 5 kids are grown so my time is my own. If everything is paid for you got it made. Frank

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Frankn, That is about what we are thinking of doing. We have not decided between a motorhome or do the fifthwheel. I know going down the road in a motorhome would be more comfortable and it would be a better selfcontained unit when services are not available. The big question is, can I dig out enough gold to offset the loss wages on the SS checks. I have no illusion of offsetting my present salary on an upper hobby claim. Want to stay below the commercial status to offset the EPA and other government issues. But I do have a couple of prime caches (Investigation, Verification Cleared) that I am working on. Time will tell, as the present job will play out in about 14 months. :icon_scratch:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow your heart if you feel you can make it on the less SS income. You're in good health now, but sitting at the job yearning is gonna stress you which grinds on your health. It's a scary thing bailing early but you'll find things will come to you when you have the time to spend. You'll have more time to come up with things to do to make extra bucks. Believe me if you have any mechanical aptitude you'll probably be busier than you'd expect.

As far as the debate between a fifth wheeler/trailer & motor home. My lowley input is go for the trailer or fifth wheeler. Works out better. Don't have to pack up camp to drive to town or going to explore the place 5 miles down the road. Less fuel (a little) dragging a trailer. Don't have to drag a second vehicle for trips to town etc. Plus in my experience, you'll more than likely find a ton of interesting things when you pull off that you probably would've missed.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Gray Cloud, The money situation is something you have to decide on. There is a group called Workcamper. They publish a bimonthly listing of jobs. If you run short you can pick up a partime job in an area where you want to hunt a cache. The jobs vary from Ranch sitting to campground jobs to short jobs like working show booths.
As for the vehicle, there are two types of usage groupes. Campers and travelers. Campers to to a location and stay a while. Travelers move around more and are more likely to take long trips. I am a traveler so I have a 22' motorhome. I can park it on a parking lot with no problems. Traveling cross country I stay in rest areas overnight saving me a lot of money. I can alter location and destination and time of arrival at any time I please, that is no reservations required. I don't have to go back someplace to pick up the trailer. Being small I can get it into almost any place and not have to worry about getting stuck. My motorhome handles like a car on the road and with 4WD and 305HP it has hussled down jeep trails in many states. Sure it is wider and higher and I have to keep this in mind. Now if you are planning on camping, a trailer and truck might be a better selection. With my motorhome, I am good for app. 2 weeks at a location. Frank

Attachments

• 500MH.jpg
    500MH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,729
  • 500MH.jpg
    500MH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,623

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Frankn, we will be just about full timing most the year, so more than likely we will end up with a 40' plus motorhome and tag the truck behind. Then I have to worry about where to put a small trummel and the rest of the gear. A pull truck and a 40' toy hauler would not have the comfort features of a motorhome but it will have room for all the gear. Just have to get to that point and make a decision, wrong or right. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
GrayCloud said:
....What do I do? Come the 28th, I will be 62 and could retire at a lesser % of SS, or I could wait to 66 and get 100% and still make all I can on the side.....

Get it while you can. Even if you keep working and get penalized, the Social Security Administration will continuously re-calculate your payments to take into account your ongoing earned income (and additional SS taxes). At 66, you might well discover that you've come out ahead.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
GrayCloud said:
....What do I do? Come the 28th, I will be 62 and could retire at a lesser % of SS, or I could wait to 66 and get 100% and still make all I can on the side.....

Get it while you can. Even if you keep working and get penalized, the Social Security Administration will continuously re-calculate your payments to take into account your ongoing earned income (and additional SS taxes). At 66, you might well discover that you've come out ahead.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :hello2: :hello2:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
That very well may be the best option, if they continue to calculate my earnings to 66. Then they can no longer stop the SS payments due to my earnings. :icon_scratch: Crap, now I done gone and confused myself. :dontknow:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI cloud, my friend, which ever way you decide, never regret it, just enjoy life. I pulled it at 55, and am now 87 so I am definitely ahead. It left me plenty of time to do many things that I would never have done.

Don Jose de La Mancha

K

Kentucky Kache

Maybe it's best to get it while you can, because who knows how long it will be there.

Sonoita-Bob

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2007
Southern Arizona
A little imput for all you guys.
I took early SS retirement 17 years ago - Springfield was right - SS Adm will recalculate if you work even part-time. Take it now while you can still get it- new requirements coming maybe even means testing.

I'm 79 and still going strong physically, but, all of my long time T-Hunting buddies have either passed on or are disabled. Now mostly shooting or hiking with my wife and family either in WY each summer or around open land in Southern AZ.

Class "A"motorhome or 5th wheel. I've had both for years. For 4 years now have a 07 Cougar 5th wheel. I can't be more pleased. No tow-car to contend with, same comfortable interior via slides and the stability on the road is unsurpassed to class "A"s or pull trailers. 40MPH cross winds @ 65MPH aren't even felt.

Gray Cloud, my Cougar, as others also have, a rear pullout platform between the spare tire and the rear unit body which can hold up to a motorcycle size and weight for your mining equipment. Also, your pull truck if 4WD would be more accessable to more difficult areas.

Congrats Frankn! take life where you can get it.

Springfield: Only in Wy 7 weeks - got back early this year. Have to be back in WY in Nov. for #2 grandson"s wedding. Planning a late Oct trip to NM in the 5th wheel for a week, basing in Isleta Indian RV park S. of Albq. Hoping, hoping to stop by Pinos Altos coming or going, if possible.

Regards to all, Sonoita Bob

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Thanks to all for the advise. Sonoita-Bob, sounds like you figured it out and capitalized on it. That is my biggest fear of waiting, I have seen too many work to 65+, just to find themselves no longer physically able to enjoy life. This present job has me committed for another 12 to 14 months and that will put me past 63. Plus we just don't know how high they will raise the bar, if we do not clean house in Washington.

I have a 2009 3/4ton Chevy diesel truck already and a fifthwheel does make a lot of sense, not to mention more economical than a diesel pusher. I just need it to be as self contain as possible, as services will not always be available in the desert or high country. If I am fortunate enough to buy a fair producing claim, I will also be looking at a trailer mounted trommel. But that will not be something to drag all up and down every year.
Again thanks to all. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread