The Lost Doc Thorne Mine - was it the same mine of Jacob Waltz?

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All,

From what I recall, Waltz wanted a drywasher because they were losing too much gold from the mine they were working.

It wouldn't be wise to tell anybody, even a friend, where he was mining. Sending everyone to the Iron Mountain area would be the smart thing to do. Some are still heading that way. :laughing7:

If Waltz was really a prospector, he of all people would know that a miner would never find his mine, meaning it's not in a known mineralized area.

Homar

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Is anyone on here looking for this and think they will find it or evidence of it?

I can assure you that a good number of the members here are looking or have looked for the mine, and some evidence has been found over the years. Things like arrastras, caches of sandals, camp sites, a cast iron frying pan with a hole through it (punched by a pick, by an angry Indian warrior to "kill" it and make it useless) among other things. I am confident that yet more evidence will be found, and that some day someone will find the mine that Jacob Waltz got his gold from.

I will go even farther out on a limb here (and I know plenty will disagree with me on this too but it is my opinion) but I believe that at least one person actually found the mine of Jacob Waltz - namely Walt Gassler. Gassler tried to get his friends Bob Corbin and Tom Kollenborn to go with him to see the mine as he told them he had finally figured it out and found it, but they were unable to accompany him. Gassler had his wife drop him off at the trail head, telling her that he would be out in three days time, and when the 3 days had elapsed, he did not show up. He was found dead on the trail near Charlebois spring, of natural causes. Later, a man claiming to be Walt Gassler's son turned up asking for Gassler's papers, and showed a piece of ore to Tom Kollenborn that Tom said looked very much like it was a match for Dutchman ore, and also said that he got it from his father's backpack. The backpack was listed among the items found with Gassler's body, but vanished. I believe that Walt Gassler found the Lost Dutchman mine, and died before he could tell anyone where it was.

On the drywasher - I too think that Waltz used it to trace back the gold to find the source lode, and not so much for mining, yet who really knows? We were not there with him so can't say for sure.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Roy,

At least one of the well known clues tells me that the Lost Doc Thorne Mine is not the LDM. "No cowboy will ever find my mine". I believe this means you can't get to the mine on horseback. If the Apache took Doc Thorne blindfolded to the gold, it is clearly a different mine.

Homar

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Roy,

I forgot to mention that one of the other more popular clues left by Waltz says, "no miner will ever find my mine". This is telling me that he did not find the mine by prospecting, ruling out the drywasher. :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Homar

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Roy,

At least one of the well known clues tells me that the Lost Doc Thorne Mine is not the LDM. "No cowboy will ever find my mine". I believe this means you can't get to the mine on horseback. If the Apache took Doc Thorne blindfolded to the gold, it is clearly a different mine.

Homar

Homar

This clue maybe means how the mine is not in a pasture region .

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone on here looking for this and think they will find it or evidence of it?

Heck, everyone here is a treasure hunter to some degree, so I suspect some are looking for it, some think they'll find it, and some hope to do research and find evidence of it :)

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Heck, everyone here is a treasure hunter to some degree, so I suspect some are looking for it, some think they'll find it, and some hope to do research and find evidence of it :)

And some find other things while looking. Old Jake may have had more than one spot. All prospectors do. Some spots are better than others. I know one thing. Witnesses screw things up. Seen it many times in court cases. 5 people will hear a statement and the all remember it in different ways. You are relying on hearsay with the Dutchman clues. They are not written in stone. It is a big mistake to think that they are. Reminds me of a old guy I know who found a couple gold bars. When you talked to him he would make statements like Jakes. Clouded truth , they can't help themselves. Keep you on the hook. What else does a old dying man have to keep a good thing going. It is my opinion to this point the clues are just that clouded truth.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
And some find other things while looking. Old Jake may have had more than one spot. All prospectors do. Some spots are better than others. I know one thing. Witnesses screw things up. Seen it many times in court cases. 5 people will hear a statement and the all remember it in different ways. You are relying on hearsay with the Dutchman clues. They are not written in stone. It is a big mistake to think that they are. Reminds me of a old guy I know who found a couple gold bars. When you talked to him he would make statements like Jakes. Clouded truth , they can't help themselves. Keep you on the hook. What else does a old dying man have to keep a good thing going. It is my opinion to this point the clues are just that clouded truth.

If all treasure hunters would think like cops, they would learn human nature above all else. Next comes logic. Then details.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
It's lesson don't believe everything you hear. It can send you off on the wrong path. It's a common Thunter error. I've seen it. One site all the stories put a site on a mountain. Guys searched it for years. The true site was the next mountain over. I worked that area and found artifacts from the incident. A friend found some gold.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can assure you that a good number of the members here are looking or have looked for the mine, and some evidence has been found over the years. Things like arrastras, caches of sandals, camp sites, a cast iron frying pan with a hole through it (punched by a pick, by an angry Indian warrior to "kill" it and make it useless) among other things. I am confident that yet more evidence will be found, and that some day someone will find the mine that Jacob Waltz got his gold from.

I will go even farther out on a limb here (and I know plenty will disagree with me on this too but it is my opinion) but I believe that at least one person actually found the mine of Jacob Waltz - namely Walt Gassler. Gassler tried to get his friends Bob Corbin and Tom Kollenborn to go with him to see the mine as he told them he had finally figured it out and found it, but they were unable to accompany him. Gassler had his wife drop him off at the trail head, telling her that he would be out in three days time, and when the 3 days had elapsed, he did not show up. He was found dead on the trail near Charlebois spring, of natural causes. Later, a man claiming to be Walt Gassler's son turned up asking for Gassler's papers, and showed a piece of ore to Tom Kollenborn that Tom said looked very much like it was a match for Dutchman ore, and also said that he got it from his father's backpack. The backpack was listed among the items found with Gassler's body, but vanished. I believe that Walt Gassler found the Lost Dutchman mine, and died before he could tell anyone where it was.

On the drywasher - I too think that Waltz used it to trace back the gold to find the source lode, and not so much for mining, yet who really knows? We were not there with him so can't say for sure.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Well I hunt many treasures also including gold but killed skillets and piles of sandals? I hope that members that live close enough or hunt for it find it and other members do not distract from the facts, Many people vanish and die doing what they like and it is not uncommon for the un prepared to end up in serious trouble and die from their efforts.
Be safe .

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy

I believe Ruth and Gassler were very close to LDM but they didn't find it . I believe Gassler went to another mine , in Black Mountain ( p1 in the below map ) . Maybe he have used the clue which says how from above the mine you can see the Miners Needle . Of course from this mine could seen Four Peaks and from above the Weaver's Needle too . This mine incidentally fit with my stone tablets theory . To refresh your memory about my stone tablets theory , is how in the horse stone map , the right horse's ear is Hieroglyphic Canyon and in the five dots , the LDM is very close to the middle ( p2 in the map below ) of the three continuous dots . This five dots are mines . But the three continuous dots ( p1 , p2 and p3 )are used too in the the stone trail map ( the Xs ) like gold cache caves with the the end of the trail to represent the big gold cache cave ( Someo Montana mine ). I believe how the cache caves ( the Xs ) are not in the mines but somewhere very close to them .
In the map below I show the dots location like in my theory , and with the red dot where the Gassler's body was found and with the Bright blue where the Ruth's body was found . With dark blue is the place where the Ruth's head was found .
I believe Ruth have located the LDM region with the help of Perfil map , but remained to find it .
I believe Ruth and Gassler were both in the heart of the gold placers , ever IMO .
Somebody said ( Joe ? ) how he saw a map which shows how the gold placers run NW to SE in Arizona and in the Superstitions . This statement fit with the course of the dots in my theory . This could seen better if I had put the location of Wagoner mine which is in the same direction NW to SW with the middle dots .

M6.jpg

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sandals distract from the facts?
there are few verifiable FACTS associated with the Dutchman...

a stash of sandals will tell an experienced person who was in the area..."KILLED" skillets would be the one proof that Jacob wasn't pushing a myth on people.

pots and other goods, were "killed"... one hole in a perfect piece, to follow the owner into the next world...that means that the apache had some respect for Jacobs partner, if not for him...

meaningless? not hardly.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius, I will take issue with your post-->the gold placers run NW to SE in Arizona and in the Superstitions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortuntely placers are formed by water courses, so they can run any direction in the supers, and do..

However we now know that the mine is at the base of a cliff facing west.

Don Jose de La Mancha.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PiPiWP. g'd afternoon. I agree they can be most imformative, Many do destroy a vessel to release it's spirit.

For some reson I cannot post a "like" on your post ?? but consider it done.

Don Jose de La Mancha

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose

My apologise . In my previous post , I wanted to say gold lodes and not gold placers .

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Don Jose

My apologise . In my previous post , I wanted to say gold lodes and not gold placers .

Marius I think your point about the locations of the gold placers in Arizona being in a "belt" that runs NW to SE is valid, which was what I got from your post, not that each individual placer must be running literally that direction. Likewise for the gold lodes, with few exceptions for either type. What is curious is the apparent "gap" in the gold belt of Arizona, right where the Superstitions Wilderness Area sits.

Oroblanco

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Marius I think your point about the locations of the gold placers in Arizona being in a "belt" that runs NW to SE is valid, which was what I got from your post, not that each individual placer must be running literally that direction. Likewise for the gold lodes, with few exceptions for either type. What is curious is the apparent "gap" in the gold belt of Arizona, right where the Superstitions Wilderness Area sits.

Oroblanco

Yes I was curious so I did 5 minutes of research. No gold!

http://mines.az.gov/DigitalLibrary/usbm_mla/USBM_MLA_136-82.pdf

It also appears by the report it is the thousands of people tearing up the wilderness looking for the LDM that is the cause of such heavy regulation that absolutely forbids mining in the Federal Wilderness areas such as the area where the bogus Waltz map and story lead people to, the Superstitions!

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
sandals distract from the facts?
there are few verifiable FACTS associated with the Dutchman...

a stash of sandals will tell an experienced person who was in the area..."KILLED" skillets would be the one proof that Jacob wasn't pushing a myth on people.

pots and other goods, were "killed"... one hole in a perfect piece, to follow the owner into the next world...that means that the apache had some respect for Jacobs partner, if not for him...

meaningless? not hardly.

Donald,

Good post.:icon_thumright: You are quite correct about the Apache reasons for destroying something as simple as a frying pan, or a basket.

On the other hand, the story of the frying pan is just........a story. I doubt it has a single strand of authenticity.:dontknow:

I also doubt that anyone would be so foolish as to ban you for that post.

Take care my friend,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread