The lost treasure of David Marteen

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the dawn of Connecticut’s history a story emerged of a pirate setting up camp in Windsor for a brief period of time. David Marteen was his name and he had just experienced an incredible streak of good fortune. Successfully plundering a number of unsuspecting cities in Spanish controlled territories, Marteen has amassed quite the collection of riches. His fortune got even better when Marteen intercepted a Spanish galleon named “the Neptune”. The Neptune was carrying 20 million dollars worth of gold (approximately 300,000,000 today.) Marteen overtook the exceptionally slow sailing Neptune and killed the officers on board. With 20 million in stolen Spanish gold marteen was riddeled with paranoia, and desperately in need to find a safe hiding place for his newly acquired loot. The story goes that Marteen sailed up the coast of the colonies and encountered a storm off the coast of New Jersey. Taking shelter from the storm in the Long Island sound, Marteen found the Connecticut river. In favorable winds he sailed up to Windsor and buried his treasure inland in what is now known as East Granby. (As you all know) (at least that’s what I’ve gathered, please correct me if I am wrong)

I hadn’t heard of this until recently and haven’t stopped thinking of it since. Imagining these buccaneers on the banks of the same river I grew up crossing is enchanting. The story of how he even happened upon the ct river itself is interesting. And a good place to hide your loot from other pirates it seems indeed. Until recently I would never of thought stories of pirate lore could have made it this far north. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start digging up some information pertaining to this legend? What ever happened to the guy Ruches who claimed to have found the stones carved by Caldwell? Does anyone know the approximate location of where these stones were found? And what areas have extensive searches already taken place? has anything from these ships ever been recovered?

I know not many people are going to want to share years of their hard work, but if you’ve hit a dead end maybe some fresh eyes and new state of mind can bring the study back to life. If you’ve been studying this case I’d love to hear any information that you’re willing to share. Would even consider signing a document to ensure you’re entitled to a reward for sharing information if anything were to be found.

I am looking for information on the history of the search for this gold. I agree that the most fun part of this entire thing is doing the research yourself, pouring over old maps and theorizing about what may have been. I’m asking if any of the veterans on this site could point me in the right direction. I read that there is documents in the Boston library pertaining to Marteen. I was going to start with the Windsor historical society.

I grew up in the area of the story’s mentioned “old Newgate prison”, which ironically was a drinking hangout in high school. The prison has long been a Museum which is seemingly never open. The prison held Torres during the revolutionary war and seemed like an absolutely miserable place to be held. The jail cells were underground in an old copper mine, very damp and cold place. In high school we would sit on the back wall and overlook the valley below. Always with a mysterious sense of history in the air. Little did I know a legend of buried pirates treasure was only a stones throw away.

Any information or stories of people’s searches in the past, rumors, hearsay etc would be exciting. At this point I just want to learn as much as I can on the subject, and most importantly the history of the search for his treasure, given that it occurred practically in my backyard. The finding of the stones with the markings on them is fascinating. Does anyone know what happened the man who found them? Where they ended up etc?

Thanks in advance, hope I didn’t ramble too much.

Let’s work together and uncover history not just for us but for the history of the state of Connecticut.

OP
OP
M

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side note, I know that Hartford became the capital of Connecticut because that was as far as large trading ships could travel up river. Sloops and smaller ships would then proceed to Springfield. Marteen would have needed to have had a sloop or something small enough to make it to Windsor. Then he must’ve used salmon brook as a trail as to not lose bearing.

Thoughts?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
M.Brian: Consider the possibility that this could be nothing more than a camp-fire legend ghost story telephone game. Just sayin' ......

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M.Brian: Consider the possibility that this could be nothing more than a camp-fire legend ghost story telephone game. Just sayin' ......
Consider the possibility that this could be a true story. Just saying. I live in Connecticut and Tom does not. Good hunting and good luck.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What!...The Spanish Did Use English Names...On Their Ships!

I am Intrigued with your quest for Treasure, and wish you the Best Of Luck with your Search.

You are Wise to seek out help from Forum Members as some may have researched this theory.

Back in February 2015, Forum Member...Eldo, posted on my Thread about a Vault he had located in Vermont.

Vermont Vault.jpg

I thought that any treasure located there may have come from The Green Mountain Boy's American Revolution finds.

I may have been...Wrong!

Maybe this is where David Marteen ended up with his Treasure?

I believe the Connecticut River flows up to this location.

Marteen was "Dutch" and this is the location of many Dutch Villages.

"Four separate Puritan-led groups also settled the fertile Connecticut River Valley, and they founded the two large cities that continue to dominate the Valley today: Hartford (est. 1635) and Springfield (est. 1636). The first group of pioneers left the Plymouth Colony in 1632 and ultimately founded the village of Matianuck (which became Windsor, Connecticut) several miles north of the Dutch fort. A group left the Massachusetts Bay Colony from Watertown, seeking a site where they could practice their religion more freely. With this in mind, they founded Wethersfield, Connecticut in 1633, several miles south of the Dutch fort at Hartford."

The Spanish Galleon with the name Neptune threw me as the latter day Spanish ships with this name were called Neptuno.

It was with this video, I observed that a Replica Ship...Galleon Neptune...was created after the Real 17th Century...Spanish Galleon...named...Galleon Neptune!

https://youtu.be/OE3X6074XBI

Neptune Galleon.jpg

What Still...Intrigues Me...Is how did Marteen's sloop take a massively Gunned Spanish Galleon?

BRAVO...TO...HIM!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow excellent information, thank you for the detailed response. David Marteen’s privateering / Pirate career took place roughly between 1663 and 1665. The story goes that in 1665 he came across the Spanish galleon named The Neptune. His more maneuverable and faster ships were able to overtake the slower floating fortress galleon. The coins on board were Spanish minted gold coins dated 1655.

It very well may be a campfire tale but unlike the other treasure stories this one has never been debunked. There is evidence that David Marteen did camp in Connecticut. And he did successfully plunder Spanish settlements throughout his career. In the 1980s a fellow hunter found stones in the area with carvings on them, indicating location markers. The carvings on the stones have been verified to have been carved by Robert Coldwell, a man in Marteens crew. The loot is rumored to be buried very deep, rendering typical metal detecting equipment useless.

One question I have that remains is most articles you read say that Marteen buried his treasure on the east branch of the salmon brook river near Newgate prison. However Newgate prison is miles away from salmon brook. Unless these other smaller tributaries were known as salmon brook back then and they had the names changed over the years? Or did him and his men really Trek that far inland.

OP
OP
M

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regard to his sloop taking out a galleon. I believe from what I’ve read Marteen got lucky and took out The Neptune’s main mast on one of his first cannon fire exchanges. Rendering the galleon severely handicapped. As I understand Marteen and his men boarded the ship and engaged in hand to hand combat. After a brutal fight the galleon crew eventually surrendered and the remaining officers were shot. Then they proceeded to loot the ship of everything she had. Next up, finding a place to hide.

Far up the Connecticut river makes sense if you’re paranoid Spain is after you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Consider the possibility that this could be a true story....

Sure. Which is exactly what they did at Oak Island. Eh ? Because, most certainly, they couldn't consider the "more plausible explanations". Lest that make them a "party pooper". You can only consider the "maybe it's true" side of the equation. Lest you risk being "left out". And ... alas .... Look at all the treasure they've found there at Oak Island and the other such legends. Looks like a great use of time to me :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....David Marteen’s privateering / Pirate career took place roughly between 1663 and 1665. The story goes that in 1665 he came across the Spanish galleon named The Neptune. His more maneuverable and faster ships were able to overtake the slower floating fortress galleon. The coins on board were Spanish minted gold coins dated 1655. ....

Ah yes. We have all the components of a real treasure legend. No good treasure legend would complete without a variety of un-disputable facts (names, dates, events), around which the story is spun.

....this one has never been debunked. ....

None of them can be "debunked". This is not logical. I can't "debunk" that leprechauns existence either. Any evidence I give to their lack of existence, you could explain away with some remote contingency ("they're hiding in Antarctica, and hide when photographers try to snap pictures, etc..."). So does someone's lack of ability to "debunk" , therefore prove leprechauns DO exist ? No.

... In the 1980s a fellow hunter found stones in the area with carvings on them, indicating location markers. The carvings on the stones.....

And no good legend is w/o the carvings or squiggles on rocks (cryptograms, etc..)

....The loot is rumored to be buried very deep, rendering typical metal detecting equipment useless.....

And no good legend isn't insanely deep. And you'll notice that the bigger the treasure, the more deeper it must therefore be. Those clever pirates, 300 yrs. ago, anticipated the invention of metal detectors, so they buried it deep enough to foil the would-be treasure hunters. Eh ?

But ask yourself: How much more "hidden" is an object buried at 2 ft., versus 20 or 200 ft ? Absolutely no difference. If the surface is covered and fluffed up, then no amount of added depth "hides it better". And if you've ever gone bottle digging, or some such manual hole digging, try and see how long it takes you to dig a 10 or 20 ft hole by hand. What sense does deeper make ? Weren't the dudes thinking of coming back some day to retrieve it ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let’s debunk why you are on a treasure hunting forum If you don’t enjoy treasure stories?

The story hasn’t been debunked like other “local” treasure stories have. Stories of lost revolutionary war gold buried near by that research has proven to be false. Leprechauns don’t exist, David Marteen did.

Not one single man would have dug the hole, they had a crew obviously. Assuming one man dug the hole and buried the loot isn’t logical. It could be buried any depth yes, there’s a fine line between wanting to retrieve it and keeping it safe.

We’re talking about lost pirate treasure here. We know the chances of it existing are slim, negativity doesn’t shine any new light on anything.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...why you are on a treasure hunting forum ...

Because I hunt for treasures. And to determine the "most likely spots" and "most likely stories to pursue", I give them a heavy dose of critical scrutiny to test for potential telephone game , to avoid chancing fanciful legends, etc...

.... Leprechauns don’t exist, David Marteen did .....

No doubt David Marteen did. No doubt all the various other components of the story can be true. Eg.: Names, dates, and events. Perhaps 99% of the story can be true. So you'd be thinking: "It's merely a matter of separating fact from fiction". Right ? But stop & think: If the part about the treasure (the 1%) isn't true, then.... what will it matter how much else of the story is true ?

NOT SAYING THAT THEREFORE NO TREASURES ARE NEVER TRUE. But just saying to be aware: Every single treasure story contains truth (which is why they're so believable and fun to read). But notice that the scores of "correct data, dates, names, events, etc...." of themselves, don't automatically make it logically follow that: "hence a treasure exists"

.... and keeping it safe....

Curious how making it deeper, keeps/makes it any more "safe" ? You mean : Safe from being found by someone else ? Ie.: Safer by being more hidden ? Then again I ask you: How is it any more hidden (safe) by going deeper ? If the surface is left with zero trace, then ..... It's equally hidden.

Heck, if anything: The deeper and bigger you make a hole, then the HARDER it becomes to return the surface to a natural undisturbed appearance.

... negativity doesn’t shine any new light on anything.

Uh, yes it most certainly does. Depending on what you mean by "negativity". If you meant scrutinizing stories for flaws, points at which it was susceptible to telephone game, and points at which more plausible explanations exist, then a scrutinous eye most DEFINITELY "sheds light" on things. It allows you to pursue those locations which are more likely. And spend less time at the sites that are less likely.

For example: I travel the entire west USA searching out old defunct resorts, stage stops, trading posts, etc... Believe you me: My buddy and I are applying the most kill-joy standards we can, before we decide which ones to pursue. If we find reasons to suspect it's been hammered already, or wasn't trafficked enough for our standards, or is covered by modern influence, or is a mistake in the history books, then we save our time. And in doing so, tend to have a lot less "dry holes". Thus, yes: Sometimes applying a critical eye cuts down on time, allowing you to get to spots more likely to have the goods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya, it’s far too early in my research to consider this one a wash. There are bits of truth and it only takes one fabrication in history to make for a good campfire story I hear ya. Given where I live this is the only legendary buried treasure story I have. Do I think there are better options to pursue to find coins and relics? Absolutely. However this legend is so close to me I have a duty almost to discover more on it.

I am trying to use this forum to uncover as much information as possible, From as many members as possible, in order to paint the clearest picture. I have been enjoying reading material on this subject and uncovering new bits.

I do appreciate the response, I just want to get some likeminded people together to answer some of the questions I’ve raised. What happened to Ruches? Where did he find the stones with markings?

Constructive criticism is excellent I agree, but I’m not ready to give up and say welp it doesn’t exist just because you have doubt. Yes I am aware this is a tall tale but it’s fun to talk about and pursue. Every treasure has doubt surrounding it till it’s found. What ways do you suggest I approach this research to paint a clearer picture?

Out of curiosity what has been your favorite hunt you’ve been on? Found anything really old?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live in Connecticut and Tom does not and he knowns nothing about the great state of Connecticut buried treasures. Good hunting and good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....Out of curiosity what has been your favorite hunt you’ve been on? Found anything really old?

Do you mean as to the current topic: caches ? Or fumble-fingers too ? Found tons of old coins . Oldest is 1740s & 1750s, which is OLD for CA . And thousands of silver coins, 15 gold coins, etc.. But those are all fumble fingers individual coins. From stage stops, parks, beach-storm erosion, old town demolitions, etc...

If you meant caches: I've found several "tame" ones (commissioned by next of kins). And been a part of one where jars containing about 1000 silver coins had been broken open by a tractor/plow, and scattered over an acre or two.

But as for the legend-caliber of caches: Nope, never found a legend one. Nor has anyone else to my knowledge.

There's occasional caches found in the Today's find section and on banner. But then consider the entire subsection of T'net, where all the legend ones are listed. And go down that list and ask yourself "how many of them have been found?". If they're so true, then ........ you eventually have to ask yourself: Where's the goods ? Why are md'rs so eager for show & tell here (sometimes very valuable finds), why is one that resulted from a legend never appearing ?

If you really want to find a cache, just get a 2-box unit (like a TM-808), and hit ghost towns, cellar holes, etc... They only find objects soda-can sized and larger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions