The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

orcrist

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this thread today, can't believe the sad news, this may be the find of the day, certainly these stories are way more valuable than gold nuggets

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, glad I was able to talk to him. Never met him, I turned 19 this year and was planning to go on a trip and see him. His stories entertained me for months and gave me hope. RIP

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Lanny and Garret..........What can I say, but a resounding THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTS!!!!

I have spent a lifetime on a path of service to others. So, what else is there to do with the knowledge I've garnered along the way? BUT, I do not GIVE IT AWAY! For, as you know Lanny, the rewards are truly enormous! what better balm for the Spirit than the reward of knowing that you have helped as many along your path as you possibly can?

I may not have enough money to repair my vehicle, but Spiritually, my coffers overflow.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

I love this post! -Luke

familyhunter

Oct 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariposa gold bag took Eagles computer and has said he is going to handle it Ive spoken with him a few times and he said he is busy with other things right now so thats where it is at the moment I would be more than happy to take care of it as I had spoken with Eagle about it alot but I dont have the computer so its in limbo until goldbag has time.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
My heart is still very heavy from Eagles passing, I check his thread expecting to see a new post and story. Very sad...I hope is is enjoying his beloved Briceburg ....

Attachments

• Briceburg 004.JPG
    Briceburg 004.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Briceburg 001.JPG
    Briceburg 001.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Briceburg 002.JPG
    Briceburg 002.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 128
  • Briceburg 007.JPG
    Briceburg 007.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Briceburg 009.JPG
    Briceburg 009.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

hardwrkr808

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mbumgua, are you still following this thread?
If so, does your family allow any amateur prospecting on your property?
I'd be more than willing to work out some "terms" if it's at all possible.

Found this thread about a week ago and just now finished all 43 pages. What great stories Eagle! Thanks for sharing with us. I love reading stories about Mariposa as I was born there many years ago and still own property there west of Mariposa on 140. (40 acres left from my Grandfather's purchase of 2500 acres between Agua Fria and Mariposa). Not living in California right now but visit now and then. There are several gold mines on my place and many more on my uncle's adjacent property. My family has been in the area since 1945. My wife's family has been in Mariposa since gold rush days. Don't stop your writings or there will be many disappointed readers!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's great to see that so many fine people continue to check in on Eagle's thread.

It's hard to believe that he's really gone. I picked up my phone the other day and was in the process of pulling up his number when I realized that I can't call him any more. The whole thing just seems too sadly unreal.

To those of you that have read his entire thread, you know as I do of the great stories he wrote, and of the wonderful tips he so willingly shared. There is much to be learned from what he wrote, and in that way, by reading and rereading Eagle's stories, Eagle will continue to live on.

To those of you that have not read his stories, you really should take the time to read of the true treasure of Mariposa. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Metal Detecting For Gold

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too was a big fan of Eagle's. His emails were a great joy to see when they hit my in box. We talked a lot about getting together, either in his neck of the woods or up in mine, a couple hundred miles north.
He was a gentleman of the first order.
He educated me about my property and I am still trying to follow his guide. We talked via the net for a long time. When my emails went unanswered I had a bad feeling he was gone. Came here to see what was up, this wasn't what I wanted to see.
Eagle, my friend, you are free now, your spirit is no longer tied to your tired body.
Fly free, to wherever your heart takes you; perhaps it was your spirit I saw in the sunset tonight that moved me to look in here.
I'd like to see his book when you fellows finish it.
Godspeed, Eagle...
Sam 8

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great to see that so many fine people continue to check in on Eagle's thread.

It's hard to believe that he's really gone. I picked up my phone the other day and was in the process of pulling up his number when I realized that I can't call him any more. The whole thing just seems too sadly unreal.

To those of you that have read his entire thread, you know as I do of the great stories he wrote, and of the wonderful tips he so willingly shared. There is much to be learned from what he wrote, and in that way, by reading and rereading Eagle's stories, Eagle will continue to live on.

To those of you that have not read his stories, you really should take the time to read of the true treasure of Mariposa. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Metal Detecting For Gold

Lanny that's exactly how I tell people how it 'sunk in' that my Dad was gone. I used to call every Sunday- then I couldn't.

regards-

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I found some pictures I took of a trip my son Jason and I took with Eagle to the river at Briceburg on December 15, 2013. I didn't realize this would be my last outing with Eagle. We had a wonderful guided tour of the area with eagle driving his green Explorer ahead of us. He would often stop in the middle of the road and we would get out and learn of the area we were at in that moment. We wound up at Hermit Pete's and eagle did some detecting and my son and I scrambled all over the area detecting and just taking it all in. Flash, Eagle's dog was busy trying to dig out the squirrel holes! This photo of Eagle was taken where he had found a nice nugget a weekend or so before. The artifacts are from Hermit Pete's burned down cabin on his sand bar across the river. You can still see some burned fence posts. One pic is of the Cedar tree Pete planted in 1904? 090.jpg 093.jpg 033.jpg 043.jpg 024.jpg 042.jpg

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
These are some grapes Hermit Pete planted long ago and they are still living. The uploader is stuck so I will try another post to see if it will clear to allow more pics to upload. 027.jpg

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is an apple tree Pete planted long ago and it still lives. I plan to go back and get some cuttings to grow. 025.jpg Some old decorative fencing Pete had. 026.jpg Mystery marker on Hermit Bar. 030.jpg old 49er cabin foundation on Hermit Bar. 051.jpg One of Pete's diggings. 107.jpg the Bridge at Christmas time 2013. 131.jpg

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
From near hermit Pete's place. 022.jpg View of Pete's grapes gone wild. 038.jpg A couple of old spikes in a tree up high on Hermit Bar. 048.jpg Interesting quartz piece on Hermit Bar. 049.jpg Another pic of where Eagle found a nice nugget right where the bank meets the roadway. 097.jpg Little guy scrambled out while we were digging. 118.jpg 017.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions