The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been thinking of Eagle a lot lately. I read all of his emails this afternoon.
Lost of "shoulda" going through my mind.
I live up in Nevada County, a couple hundred miles north of his neck of the woods. He and I talked many times about him coming up here to go out detecting and prospecting. I have access to a claim on the south fork of the Yuba, and some very interesting history on my own property. He gave me some tips about some things I need to do here at home, and he seemed pretty excited for me about what I might find.
(Doing what he told me to do is now priority #1 come spring.)
At the time he was fighting with his Explorer and didn't trust it for the trip, but wanted to get it fixed or replaced and head up here. He hadn't been in this area in a long time and told me he remembered some good ground he wanted to take another look at.
He wanted me to come down and spend a weekend. I had, at the time, a truck and cabover camper, and we talked about me coming south picking him up and then heading east into the hills for a few days. I was trying to get out of running "Poppa Daycare"... and we just didn't get it done.
Then my knee went sideways and I lost another summer (it still is...gonna hafta have surgery probably)

Lord how I wish we had done one or the other. Hindsight is 20-20, but if there ever was a lesson to git off yer behind and git goin', this is it.
I hear ya, old friend, you are right over my shoulder chuckling as I type this.
For those of you reading this after Eagle's passing, and who never shared a trip or a few phone calls or emails know this...he was just a real as real gets. Decent and friendly and wise.
His wisdom was the kind all of us in our 50's are old enough to recognize when we heard it, and all wished we didn't have to wait til we were his age to earn. Most folks younger than 50 probably knew they were in the company of someone special, but just were not able to grasp what that meant.
Eagle's wisdom was 100% earned. Genuine.
I recall reading here someone is working on his book, I want to get on the list, right now, for a first edition.
I am in possession of a first edition of "Death Valley in '49" by William Lewis Manly". Any edition is hard to find, but a first is very, very rare. Published in 1879 when Mr. Manley was near the end of his time here.
Read it if you can.
I think "Eagle's gift" could be just as special. He was that kind of guy.
He always opened his emails with,
"Hailto Sam"
I will miss those.

One more time...
Hailto You Eagle.
You lived a full life, but left those who met you far down the trail wishing we'd been there sooner, longer, and more often. Your words were full of wisdom, and your spirit was unquenchable.
I'll always be watching, listening, and hoping for a sign from you. I'll be quiet and let the earth speak to me.
When we are 100 miles from anywhere out on a ghost town chase out in Nevada and the wind blows across the high desert, I will smile, and think of you.
Until then...
My God grant you the peace and joy you deserve. May the sun warm your soul, and the breezes fill your wings with lift, and may your eyes always be watchful for the friends, admirers and fellow seekers you touched with your gentle spirit.

jg

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
You clearly knew this man the way we have come to know him; as genuine as they come. Thank you for sharing your experience with Eagle and it echoes what every other person who knew him has expressed. We are honored and blessed to have crossed his path. -Luke

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Oakview2 what a great story...ha ha. I could only imagine your eyes got real big for a moment! I was over looking at Pete's old grapes growing when my son called out to me. He had found some burnt full cans from his burnt down cabin. They had rusted out a bit but it was obvious there was no gold or food contents in them anymore. His eyes got big for a moment too!

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
BurntBear (Luke) you are welcome! It was my pleasure to post these pics. I felt a nudging from the Lord to do so. Yes we were "honored and blessed to have crossed his path." So true! My thoughts often turn towards him and the knowledge he would freely give. He was quite a giver! Dale

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sam 8 what a touching and timely post! I so agree with your thoughts about hindsight and wishing this or wishing that. We've all been there to so degree or another. We causally say hi to someone when we see them thinking we will say more the next time we get together, but then that time never comes.
Yep. "git off yer behind and git goin'" is good advice. Great thoughts Sam 8. Thank you.... My son and I are going to the river sometime in the next couple of weekends or so I hope. Will post something! Dale

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
Loved the North American Palcer video. It is amazing to see so many large nuggets in a short time of mining. I would love to get one sluice box of gold like that once in my life! NOT.....I'd like many full sluices!
Thanks for posting!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Loved the North American Palcer video. It is amazing to see so many large nuggets in a short time of mining. I would love to get one sluice box of gold like that once in my life! NOT.....I'd like many full sluices!
Thanks for posting!

Many thanks.

The two pound, 4.5 ounce baseball nugget at the end is a fantastic piece of gold too.

All the best,

Lanny

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle would be grinning ear to ear. You are right, the find of a lifetime.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Eagle is surely missed... You always want to read just one more of his stories. I had messaged him right after his first episode (to my knowledge) and he messaged back what he was going though. He was wondering how to explain it to folks. I think he was more worried about letting people down, than he was for himself. Eagle will live long in the hearts and minds of all who had contact through his stories. I would have loved to have met him. Greatly missed.

I had requested a signed edition if possible at the time. Now, any collection of Eagle's stories would be very valuable collectible treasure in itself. If anyone does get his book out, please let me know.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle is surely missed... You always want to read just one more of his stories. I had messaged him right after his first episode (to my knowledge) and he messaged back what he was going though. He was wondering how to explain it to folks. I think he was more worried about letting people down, than he was for himself. Eagle will live long in the hearts and minds of all who had contact through his stories. I would have loved to have met him. Greatly missed.

I had requested a signed edition if possible at the time. Now, any collection of Eagle's stories would be very valuable collectible treasure in itself. If anyone does get his book out, please let me know.

I agree with you 100%! He is greatly missed. And you're right; the last thing he wanted to do was to let anyone down.

I had him ready to send me a copy as soon as it was ready as well, and I'm sad it never happened.

Now, I'm not sure if publishing his book will ever happen or not, but I remain hopeful that it will. And, I'm with you. I'd love to know if and when it's to be published.

All the best,

Lanny

My main thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been thinking of Eagle a lot lately. I read all of his emails this afternoon.
Lost of "shoulda" going through my mind.
I live up in Nevada County, a couple hundred miles north of his neck of the woods. He and I talked many times about him coming up here to go out detecting and prospecting. I have access to a claim on the south fork of the Yuba, and some very interesting history on my own property. He gave me some tips about some things I need to do here at home, and he seemed pretty excited for me about what I might find.
(Doing what he told me to do is now priority #1 come spring.)
At the time he was fighting with his Explorer and didn't trust it for the trip, but wanted to get it fixed or replaced and head up here. He hadn't been in this area in a long time and told me he remembered some good ground he wanted to take another look at.
He wanted me to come down and spend a weekend. I had, at the time, a truck and cabover camper, and we talked about me coming south picking him up and then heading east into the hills for a few days. I was trying to get out of running "Poppa Daycare"... and we just didn't get it done.
Then my knee went sideways and I lost another summer (it still is...gonna hafta have surgery probably)

Lord how I wish we had done one or the other. Hindsight is 20-20, but if there ever was a lesson to git off yer behind and git goin', this is it.
I hear ya, old friend, you are right over my shoulder chuckling as I type this.
For those of you reading this after Eagle's passing, and who never shared a trip or a few phone calls or emails know this...he was just a real as real gets. Decent and friendly and wise.
His wisdom was the kind all of us in our 50's are old enough to recognize when we heard it, and all wished we didn't have to wait til we were his age to earn. Most folks younger than 50 probably knew they were in the company of someone special, but just were not able to grasp what that meant.
Eagle's wisdom was 100% earned. Genuine.
I recall reading here someone is working on his book, I want to get on the list, right now, for a first edition.
I am in possession of a first edition of "Death Valley in '49" by William Lewis Manly". Any edition is hard to find, but a first is very, very rare. Published in 1879 when Mr. Manley was near the end of his time here.
Read it if you can.
I think "Eagle's gift" could be just as special. He was that kind of guy.
He always opened his emails with,
"Hailto Sam"
I will miss those.

One more time...
Hailto You Eagle.
You lived a full life, but left those who met you far down the trail wishing we'd been there sooner, longer, and more often. Your words were full of wisdom, and your spirit was unquenchable.
I'll always be watching, listening, and hoping for a sign from you. I'll be quiet and let the earth speak to me.
When we are 100 miles from anywhere out on a ghost town chase out in Nevada and the wind blows across the high desert, I will smile, and think of you.
Until then...
My God grant you the peace and joy you deserve. May the sun warm your soul, and the breezes fill your wings with lift, and may your eyes always be watchful for the friends, admirers and fellow seekers you touched with your gentle spirit.

jg

What a great post! Wonderfully done and so nicely said!!

All the best,

Lanny

jpdriver1

Sep 8, 2011
orange county, ca
I agree with you 100%! He is greatly missed. And you're right; the last thing he wanted to do was to let anyone down.

I had him ready to send me a copy as soon as it was ready as well, and I'm sad it never happened.

Now, I'm not sure if publishing his book will ever happen or not, but I remain hopeful that it will. And, I'm with you. I'd love to know if and when it's to be published.

All the best,

Lanny

My main thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Maybe we could contribute and then have it self publish it. I could edit it prior to publishing if needed. I've done 7 books for a friend.

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we could contribute and then have it self publish it. I could edit it prior to publishing if needed. I've done 7 books for a friend.

anything we can do to get it published would be great. to whoever took possesion of his work to try to publish it, if you cant get it done why not let us take a crack at it?

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, sorry for my absence here on the thread...

For the record, Eagles book will without a doubt be finished here at some point. I'm in the middle of getting it all formatted. I'm making sure not to change a damn thing in his writings as I believe it should be exactly as he wrote it. When its available I will let everyone know. Thanks to everyone who has offered help, don't worry about it....it will be done the right way. I'm actually pretty close to finishing it up, but give it atleast a couple of months...I'm not going to rush it and put something half ass out there. Eagle before he passed told me to do what I wanted with the book, well I want it to be done RIGHT...so be patient. Eagle was one of my closest friends, and I would never let him down. So hold tight everyone...

As far as his memorial is concerned. At this point I don't know if they buried him or cremated him. I know they were planning on taking him the a VA cemetery. I suggest that if any of you would like to get together in his name, one of you should organize a time down at the merced river. I since had to move back up to Seattle and wouldn't be able to organize such an event. Though I really wish I could.

I'll let everyone know when the book gets closer to completion.

PEACE !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread