The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
Eagle,

You never cease to amaze me with your insightful ideas on how to find "new" areas for gold! Fantastic tips--and I sure hope people appreciate the wealth of hard-earned knowledge that you're freely giving them.

All the best my friend,

Lanny

Halito Lanny,

I certainly hope so too! And, if not, it's not because I'm not trying. :laughing7:

Personally, in retrospect, I'm able to see many mistakes I've made over many years. Things I saw and didn't pay attention to. Then there were the signs that I noticed, but didn't take the time to study.
And, my all time favorite: I saw it, but didn't realise what I saw until many years later. (Take note of my "Old Spanish Mine"). :headbang: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Unfortunately, my "all time favorite" has happened more times than I'd like to admit. But, I try to take it all with a sense of humor, otherwise, I'd become so depressed I would be no good to myself, much less anyone else.

So, my hope is that through this thread, I am able to help others to keep from making some of the same mistakes I made.

Is it working?? I guess only time will tell.

Eagle

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm most certain that it is working very well, and that many people simply "lurk" and never post a thanks for all that you're doing. I'm sure some may think they'd be plugging up your thread with all of their thanks; however, it's those thanks that make the writer's world go 'round, and ultimately keep the writers writing! (It's the inspiring benefit that arrives as a reward for all of those countless hours of organizing and transcribing.)

So, a big thanks to you Eagle for all of your incredible tips and solid-gold secrets!! (Much better freely shared than lost forever.)

All the best,

Lanny

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anybody else notice that this thread has been trimmed?

It used to be 6 pages, now only 3.

Have we lost these early writings? Can the pruning be undone?

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got_4by4 said:

I noticed that this morning. I have no idea why, but if it's like my online site, (walkingeaglesolutions.com), it probably gets pretty expensive to keep so many pages. I had to drop
4 of my pages lately, just to be able to maintain the site. :BangHead:
Unfortunately, that eliminated the dealer (bulk price) pages.

I know that most members don't realise how much it costs. That's why I took a Charter membership.
I figured it would help Mark keep Tnet going.

I'll pm jeff of pa and see if I can find out what's up.

Thanks for noticing!!

Eagle

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle and Lanny,

Thank you so much for your efforts. It is truly appreciated by me and I'm sure many others. Regardless of a persons experience you guys writings are exciting and extremely informative. You folks not only provide knowledge to better understand new circumstances encountered in the field but for me you often provide better understanding of how to re-evaluate past places I've prospected.

Thanks guys, I hope you and all the rest of the prospecting amd MD community have a fine Christmas and a great new year.

Mike

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got_4by4 said:

Halito got_4x4,

I guess we could have figured it out if we had gone to the first page. :headbang: :laughing9:

I recieved a quick reply from Jeff:

LOL Your the third one to ask
on different threads.

No Posts are Missing.
The Server apparently Compacted things
adding more posts to each page

Threads that were 2 Pages are now 1 Page

Etc.

Not sure if Temporary or Perminant

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got_4by4 said:

All posts are here yet

the Server either Expanded allowing more posts per page,
Or compressed everything at TreasureNet causing
More posts to fit in each page.

Simply put, what was on 2 Pages
is now on One Etc. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Got_4by4 said:

All posts are here yet

the Server either Expanded allowing more posts per page,
Or compressed everything at TreasureNet causing
More posts to fit in each page.

Simply put, what was on 2 Pages
is now on One Etc. :icon_thumright:

YOU'RE THE MAN!!!

Thanks Jeff!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
delnorter said:
Eagle and Lanny,

Thank you so much for your efforts. It is truly appreciated by me and I'm sure many others. Regardless of a persons experience you guys writings are exciting and extremely informative. You folks not only provide knowledge to better understand new circumstances encountered in the field but for me you often provide better understanding of how to re-evaluate past places I've prospected.

Thanks guys, I hope you and all the rest of the prospecting amd MD community have a fine Christmas and a great new year.

Mike

Halito Mike,

Thank you for your post!! Quite honestly, it's the posts like this (and previous posts), that keeps me writing. I have to admit that there are occasions when I wonder why I even bother. Especially when
I've posted a couple of times and don't know whether anyone is even reading them. :laughing7:
Then, someone will come in and say how much they appreciate it, and I'm off and running again.

I would also like to say, that if any of my readers have anything they would like to post, they're
welcome to do so. Anything that might add to the knowledge of this thread would be most welcome.

Of course, humorous little stories would be appreciated also. As a matter of fact, I'll start by telling one
of my first big strike.

From Rags to Riches.........Oops, back to Rags!
(Glad I didn't throw the rags away!)​

Once upon a time long ago, in a land far away, there was a newcomer to the land. And he was welcomed
by the denizens of this land. Well, at least by his Sister and Brother-in-law. (Actually, they little choice in the matter, as they were the ones who brought him to the land of Bishop, CA. :laughing7:

Now this young man, who had just barely seen his 18th birthday, had read some accounts of gold mining in California, and as young men will, he figured that he knew just about everything there was to know about gold mining. Little did he know, that there was one thing that the books couldn't teach...........But, we'll get to that later!! :read2: :dontknow:

So, one bright sunny day in the early Summer, he picked up his tools and ventured into the foot-hills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains to seek his fortune. He decided that the most worthwhile area to find his fortune would be up a road that the local villagers called "ButterMilk Road".

A little segue here: They called it ButterMilk Rd., because it was said that if you put a jug of milk on the floor board, by the time you reached the end of the road, you would have a jug of butter AND milk. :laughing7:

Well, as luck would have it, he reached a point where it was a toss-up as to who would give up first......
him, or the truck. When he parked and got out of the truck, he had to sit on a boulder for a few minutes, until he stopped vibrating. When he finally stood up to go try his luck in a nearby stream, he felt better, because he noticed that the truck was still vibrating. :laughing7:

He walked over to the stream, scooped up some sand and gravel and sat down on the edge of the stream to pan it down. Nope, no gold there. So, he started down the stream, panning here and there for about a half mile. By now, he was getting hungry, so he opened his pack and took out a sumptious........
peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. Oh yeah!! Heavenly repast.

While sitting there eating his lunch, his eyes looked up the granite hill on the other side of the stream and low and behold, there, about 40 feet up, he spotted a vein of quartz. And the way the sun was hitting it, he was sure that he saw a flash of golden light. O.K., forget the lunch, it's time to get rich!

Now, this was a little tricky, since the slope of the granite was about 45 degrees and he soon found out that cowboy boots didn't give the best of traction on a solid rock slope. :help: But he persevered, and after much sliding and slipping, eventually found himself within reach of the quartz vein. It was then that he KNEW he would return to the village as a hero Nay, a God!!! For more than half of the quartz vein was........GOLD!!!

Now, he found himself in a quandry. :icon_scratch: Even if his levis weren't too tight to put the gold in his pockets, he couldn't let go of the little crevasse his fingers were in, to put it in his pocket. The big question was; how do I get it out, without losing any of it. Finally, good sense won out over greed. He had one free hand, so he would just pry it out with his little pick and let it fall down the hill to, and into the stream. (Don't worry, the stream was only about 6 inches deep). ::)

So, using the pointed end of his rock pick, he started prying pieces of quartz and gold out of the vein. When he figured he had enough to fill his shirt, he started back down the hill. And not a moment too soon for the only thing giving him enough strength to hang up there was the sheer excitement of knowing that he would soon be a wealthy man. (Well, in a few years he'd be a man). :laughing7:

It didn't take him long to reach the ground, but it did cost him the knees of his levis. (Good thing it was too steep for him to turn around and slide down on his butt). :laughing7:

Well, he hadn't expected to hit it this big so soon, so he didn't bring a bag to put his gold in. :BangHead:
His only option was to take his shirt off and use it as a bag. Once he had all of it in his shirt, he tied it up into a bundle and put it on the seat of his truck and started the rough trip back down to the village of Bishop. Luckily, the vibration wasn't as bad going down hill as it was coming up. :laughing7:

When he reached the village, he headed straight for the Government Assayer's office. When he stepped inside, Mr. Hogel (the assayer) met him at the counter and asked what he could do for him. Whereupon, the young lad placed his make-shift bundle on the counter and unwrapped his gold. :icon_sunny:
And was immediately mortified by Mr. Hogel's laughter. "Well", said Mr. Hogel, (between guffaws) "Those are some real nice specimens of.........IRON PYRITES"!!??????

You see? The one thing the books couldn't show the young lad, "was what real gold looks like". But, it turned out alright, Mr. Hogel took the time to show the lad what REAL gold looks and feels like.

And to this day, he's never mistaken anything else for gold. :headbang: :laughing7:

Eagle

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hey Eagle :blob7:

Thanks for the great reminder of my past, learning to look for the good stuff. As my father taught me.
I cant remember how many times i would ask my father, Is this GOLD!!! NO!!! Bursting my bubble :'(
But he did tell me "you will know it when you see it in your pan" the good stuff. And he was right.
Was hooked, lined, and sinker ever since. Thanks again Eagle. :blob7:

Hefty

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle, to sacrifice a pair of genuine Levis 'back then' was quite an investment. I remember my first pair- an expensive $4.23.

Was your last trip to Briceburg productive?

regards-
C-dad

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito C-dad,

Well now, that all depends on your determination of productive. :dontknow:

I guess the fact that I realised that I still don't know how to operate this @&%(##
MXT properly could be considered "productive". :laughing7: :laughing7:

Other than that, I did manage to re-gather some photos, and downloaded them
without losing them again. :headbang: :laughing7:

You're right, a small fortune. In 1962 or 63, I bought them on sale in Montgomery
Ward for less than $4.00 a pair. (Real Levis).

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty1 said:
Hey Eagle :blob7:

Thanks for the great reminder of my past, learning to look for the good stuff. As my father taught me.
I cant remember how many times i would ask my father, Is this GOLD!!! NO!!! Bursting my bubble :'(
But he did tell me "you will know it when you see it in your pan" the good stuff. And he was right.
Was hooked, lined, and sinker ever since. Thanks again Eagle. :blob7:
Hefty

You're very welcome My Friend!!!

When I remind you of your past, I'm also remembering my past. (Not germain to anything really,
it just sounds so philosophical I couldn't resist). :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty1 said:
Eagle :hello:

Just dropped in to wish you Merry Christmas and a joyful New Year :hello2:
Thank you my Friend!!!

And the same to you, and all of my many readers.

May ALL of you, and yours, be Blessed throughout this coming NEW YEAR!!

Love and Respect,

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokay, you've found your first little nugget (or flake) of gold. How can you tell that it's
really gold??

One easy way would be to hold it in the palm of one hand, and using the other hand
for shade, move the "gold" in and out of the shade. Mica will lose almost all gold color
and will appear as a small sliver of glassy substance while in the shade. Pyrite will also
change in appearance while in shade. At the least, it will appear to be more dull, without
the gold like "glow".

But, gold will retain its' golden luster whether in direct light or in the shade.

I put mica in here because of all the so called gold I've been shown by tourists, mica
is the one most collected and mistaken for gold. I've always had a hard time understanding
how someone could spend hours picking little specks of the stuff off of the top of sand,
put it in a vial of water and while watching it float around in the water, proclaim it to be gold!! :dontknow:

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
Hi Eagle and Lanny. i read both of your threads and have them on my favorites. Thank you both for the interesting stories and wonderful information. I wish you both a very merry Christmas and God
bless you both. Thanks, Dave :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leenie said:
Hi Eagle and Lanny. i read both of your threads and have them on my favorites. Thank you both for the interesting stories and wonderful information. I wish you both a very merry Christmas and God

Halito Dave,

Thanks for your post! You're quite welcome. I'm sure that Lanny gets as much pleasure out of
sharing his knowledge, as I do.

Also, thank you for your well wishes! I wish you and yours a very happy New Year!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
leenie said:

Dave,

Your generous comments are the kind that keep us writing--you stoke the fires!

Thanks again, and all the best in the New Year,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread