The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a call from a life insurance representative last night. He said we should all look to the future, and decide what we need to do, to prepare for our final days on earth.

Well, since I just turned 75 a couple of weeks ago, I figured; you know what, he’s right!!

So, here’s the first step in my preparation.

My Epitath:

Eagle
1937 - 20??​

He Tried
He Sighed
He Died

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
EagleDown said:
I received a call from a life insurance representative last night. He said we should all look to the future, and decide what we need to do, to prepare for our final days on earth.

Well, since I just turned 75 a couple of weeks ago, I figured; you know what, he’s right!!

So, here’s the first step in my preparation.

My Epitath:

Eagle
1937 - 20??​

He Tried
He Sighed
He Died

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Attachments

• Stone.jpg
    Stone.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 563
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man of few words

Thanks!! Now I know that someone's reading my meanderings. :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Eagle

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
EagleDown said:
Man of few words

Thanks!! Now I know that someone's reading my meanderings. :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Eagle

Absolutely, Eagle !

The cryptic stone popped into my noggin while reading your post -

Probably should have added the "recycle" symbol at the bottom..........

Diggem'

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall said:
Absolutely, Eagle !

The cryptic stone popped into my noggin while reading your post -

Probably should have added the "recycle" symbol at the bottom..........

Diggem'

Recycle?? I sure hope that I've learned enough that I don't have to "recycle". :headbang: :laughing7:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about this for you Eagle:

He learned.

He found.

He shared.

That right there will make your works immortal.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
How about this for you Eagle:

He learned.

He found.

He shared.

That right there will make your works immortal.

All the best,

Lanny

THEN He died?? :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Lanny, the devil made me do it!! >:D

Well, at least it's not as morbid as mine. :laughing7:

But don't worry, I'm in excellent health and plan on being underfoot for a lot longer. :headbang:

Eagle

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EagleDown said:
Sorry Lanny, the devil made me do it!! >:D

Well, at least it's not as morbid as mine. :laughing7:

But don't worry, I'm in excellent health and plan on being underfoot for a lot longer. :headbang:

Eagle

Then he died happily!

And, others never forgot him. . . . :wink:

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool link Eagle--that's one dedicated panner!

All the best,

Lanny

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Eagledown. I just finished reading your forum from top to bottom and just wanted to thank you for the education. I live out here in Mariposa and would love to meet you next time you come up. I'll stay posted! Thanks again!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that guy in NY has some Class!! Thats about the coolest treasure hunting idea that I have ever heard of. I wonder how many people laugh at him, and he is just busy making money! He's gotta have thick skin to do that.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
Cool link Eagle--that's one dedicated panner!
All the best,
Lanny
goldenprospector said:
Hello Eagledown. I just finished reading your forum from top to bottom and just wanted to thank you for the education. I live out here in Mariposa and would love to meet you next time you come up. I'll stay posted! Thanks again!
maipenrai said:
Hey, that guy in NY has some Class!! Thats about the coolest treasure hunting idea that I have ever heard of. I wonder how many people laugh at him, and he is just busy making money! He's gotta have thick skin to do that.

Thanks Lanny!! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Great goldenprospector. Hopefully, it won't be much longer before I'm back on the river. I expect to be there for at least a week, perhaps two. I'll make sure that I post my plans a day or two ahead of time.

maipenrai; I know just what you're talking about. I've been metal detecting since the mid 60s and
I still feel like people are staring at me when I'm out swinging. :laughing7: :laughing7:
Words to live by: "Treasures are not always where you would expect to find them".

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the days; while I was a city patrolman, I saw a man standing in a big parking lot early one morning. I pulled up to find out what he was up to. He turned out to be a very likable fellow, and
we spent about a half hour talking.
It turned out that he traveled around the U.S. in his motorhome. When he got to a large city, he
would go to big department store parking lots. Always in the early morning. He would stand at the
West end of the lot, and when the sun started hitting the pavement, he would walk back and forth
across the lot, looking to the East, (towards the rising sun). When he saw a bright flash of light from
the pavement, he would keep his eyes on the spot as he walked to it. Sometimes it would be a nice
diamond. I had no reason to doubt him, as he showed me a small container with several diamonds
in it. He explained that; gemstones are clamped in a ring, under pressure. So, when a woman comes
up to her car, perhaps with a couple of packages in her arms, as she reaches out to unlock the door, it's
not unusual for her ring to bump against the door handle. If the ring hits just right, the stone will pop
out of its' mount and fly (sometimes) 20 or 30 feet before it hits the pavement. And of course it will
roll a little further. I had to agree with him that it would be almost impossible for her to find, especially
in a lot full of cars. That is, if she even realises that the stone popped out.

Seeing what he had in that little container makes me wonder how many diamonds have been lost over
the years, just by the ring bumping on something. :dontknow:

Eagle

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time you touch your keyboard, I learn something new. The wife has been after me to get more exercise so I guess I need to go out and stake a claim at the mall. Thanks again for all the great stories.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagle

I have read your thread from top to bottom and would like to thank you for your many experiences and stories. I had the pleasure of doing some prospecting on a club claim about 16 miles north of Coulterville. On our way there, while following a google map ap, we ended up at the Briceburg bridge and took the switchback road the very top of hill. Beautiful country but not a trip for the faint of heart, especially in a Honda Civic. I hope you will continue to keep up your writing and keep us all posted. I have to ask why you have never moved to this area that you have such a love for and have so much knowledge of??? All the best to you and continued good health and good fortune... Oakview2

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oakview2 said:
Eagle

I have read your thread from top to bottom and would like to thank you for your many experiences and stories. I had the pleasure of doing some prospecting on a club claim about 16 miles north of Coulterville. On our way there, while following a google map ap, we ended up at the Briceburg bridge and took the switchback road the very top of hill. Beautiful country but not a trip for the faint of heart, especially in a Honda Civic. I hope you will continue to keep up your writing and keep us all posted. I have to ask why you have never moved to this area that you have such a love for and have so much knowledge of??? All the best to you and continued good health and good fortune... Oakview2

:dontknow: I'm not sure, but I think 'MUSIC' contributed to my lack of roots. :dontknow:

And all of my readers exclaim: "HUH"???? :o :laughing9: :laughing9:

I would explain that, but I'm not sure if any of my readers would care to read my
"Self-Analysis". :dontknow:

You're right about "Burma Road", it definately is NOT for the "faint of heart"! I can't help but wonder
why you didn't come in by way of Jack-ass Meadows? Much more beautiful drive. And, a whole lot
easier. Oops, sorry, it just dawned on me; you were following a Google Map ap. :laughing7:

I do things a little differently. I drive along, and if I see a faint trail (road) leading off into the trees
or desert, if there's no 'No Trespassing' signs around, then, I'm obligated to follow that trail/road
and see where it ends up. You'd be surprised at some of the things I've seen and found by
traveling the "faint trails". :headbang:

Do you remember the old saying; "A rolling stone gathers no moss"? Well, I decided long ago;
I don't need any moss, as long as I keep a full head of hair!! :laughing7:

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
auferret said:
Every time you touch your keyboard, I learn something new. The wife has been after me to get more exercise so I guess I need to go out and stake a claim at the mall. Thanks again for all the great stories.

auferret;
Thanks for the compliment!! It really does mean a lot to me. I did leave a little out of the diamond
post, (accidentally). I asked him how he knew that it was a diamond that was causing the flash. He
replied that once he had found a couple of them, he could tell there was a distinct difference in the
flashes from glass, compared to those of a diamond.

I imagine it's a lot like metal detecting where you finally learn the difference in the sounds of coins
as compared to the "growling" that iron causes. :headbang:

Once again, thanks to all for reading my posts!!

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread