THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please mind the photo's and quoting with photo's attached.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard this car alarm go off today, then stop, then on/off/on...
So I jumped on the ATV and went down to the dam (One doesn't know if someone is in need)
Well there sat a Cadillac, no driver, and this old person sitting in the passenger seat.
The alarm went off again, so I stopped, and the door opened, the old fellow got out, alarm stopped/ then went off he opened the door and closed it/ alarm went off.

He walked around to the side of the car and stated "I used to live here"
I asked what is the name? (I usually not that bold -but he asked me if I was Andrew, and if I lived in the house up there?) No I'm Jim....(Andrew was 65 in 1985 :laughing7:)

So he said he moved away in 1946-well that was before my time-he smiled.
How old are you? 97
Oh boy! oh boy was I like a kid in the candy store!-walking/talking history!!!
Right there to share, it doesn't get any better I am stoked-to no end.
Well his son walked up finally and he had two imprinted bricks from the mill works.
There went another hour of history with his dad.
Found out:
Had slab lumber piled high along the shore (now rests on the bottom of our bay.
We had docks running the length of the property with 3 boat houses.
Found out where 2 of the 3 original homes sat along the old highway route (now bush)
Found out that he took his brother's .22 rifle and shot groundhogs-then sold them to the American campers. (He showed me where they camped on my property.
Told me about the caves.
The lime kilns were.
The revival camp was were 100-200 church goers showed up at this house. (house no longer there)
They told me of the legend gang of runners of goods that ran stuff to the States.
Where the original cheese factory was, the one not in the history book.
My head is swimming with possibilities of places in my backyard so to speak.
Best one: "You can get a 1936 dime in the pool at the bottom of the dam" ( How do you know that? Heavy smirk on my part)
"I put it there" was the kind reply.
Looked like he was in his early 80's at most, a little forgetful with a few names-90% RIGHT ON THE HISTORY!!!:headbang:

Just wait until I see the local history author.
I'm going do the little cock walk, and tell her I was not a reading the history-but talking with the history. Oh can't wait for that one....:laughing7:
No today was one of the best days-his son said he had a bounty hunter 2200 and was asking my opinion on an upgrade. We traded #'s.
His father wants to come back fishing this summer-and he'll write some more down as it comes to mind.
I get notes-say what!

No sugar plums jumping in this head-detecting old places-oh ya.

"When we were little kids crossing the garden I tripped-looked downand got a Sir Issac Brock Token out of the dirt"
Will show me the next time down

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh how cool! And Pepperj you will have a new detecting partner it sounds like too. Don't you just love old people? I do! You are going to have so much fun! Maybe he will bring you old photos too.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh how cool! And Pepperj you will have a new detecting partner it sounds like too. Don't you just love old people? I do! You are going to have so much fun! Maybe he will bring you old photos too.

He told me to go to the large exposed rock right behind the garage (We had our corn roasts there) Take a pole/hammer bang on the "Hollow rock" you will hear it.
They live about an hour away or so up by Ottawa.
He has photo of the area and will share with me the ones of the mill/pond/dam.
Told me how to wade the pond to the 10ft level.
I was teasing him for breaking the old bottles in the clay pond. He looked a tad sheepish.:laughing7:
I always loved the walking/talking history over any book..

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
GoodEvening everbody..... freeze warning tonight... It sleeted a couple times today...
I think the quail incident was an inside job. First egg tonight.. not really photo worthy and my smartmachine wants more money for more pic space.
Miss Shep you ever got to the knuckle bar? 11-13th. July drink beer..?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good morning Tnet

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning ARC and pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mornin all.

Big city hospital/prosthetics appointment day today.
Yuuck on the thought of the traffic.
I used to handle it just fine. Now it's like learning it all over again.
Guess it's a good thing to not be used to it anymore.

I should get one of these for the truck...

Oh I can relate to the traffic and getting back in the chair of crazy driving. Last Friday I had to do the 401 through Toronto from one end to the other. Going in the late morning on a Friday not bad, coming through in the mid afternoon not the best conditions. Lost part of my food mixture on a slam brake affair, went flying off the lap onto the floor under my feet. Going from 120-20 in a few meters is not nice driving. Though from doing the GTA for 25 yrs it was old school for me, but a tad stressful from the rural nothing to the busiest hwy in NA.

Highway 401 passing through Toronto is not only the busiest highway in North America but also one of the widest and busiest in the world.
So, what makes this freeway so busy? According to a report from the Federal Highway Administration, the annual average daily traffic (AADT) count between Weston Road and Highway 400 in Toronto was estimated at 431,900. On some days, the number exceeds 500,000 vehicles.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning to the RCT gang. Jim sounds like you hit a gold mine meeting that oldtimer, good luck turning some of that info into treasures!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good morning bill

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning to the RCT gang. Jim sounds like you hit a gold mine meeting that oldtimer, good luck turning some of that info into treasures!

Morning Bill

It's one thing to chat with an old timer-but when it's about the backyard history it ramps it up a whole lot.
In the one ref. about the camping spot across from the house I did find a bullet lighter and a Wheatie over there.
Never really gave it a second thought about the penny till last night and I now can link the penny to the campers.
It has some providence now-the lonely wheat penny-now where would it of gone? Probably with the bullet lighter-don't ask....:laughing7:

Frost on the cars this morning again-hope this is the end of this cool/wet weather Bill.
The ground is saturated and it needs a warm/dry up as the 2 week window of the traditional May 24 planting is near.

Was contemplating on using the post hole auger to drill the 120 holes for the blueberry planting-that won't happen with the field conditions right now-it would be one stuck tractor.
The actual raised rows are not too bad it's the 15ft sections between the rows that are of concern. The grass covering hasn't grown back in too much, so bare dirt is soft.
Need to plant ground cover to toughen up the rows.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

Any chance of getting some woodchips to use between the rows? Saves planting ground cover and nourishes the soil also.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
bill
I use sawdust. It works really well. But only in small areas. Never close to the house. Small critters love to knaw on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread