The Wrong Trend

D

DeepThought

I've been doing this a whopping one year...and enjoyed every minute. But there is that nagging feeling..as if considered a second class citizen...when turned back from park staff for digging in a tot lot with a MD (...a tot lot, for gosh sakes...). And folks who turn down your request to check out that back field, etc. Disturbing...

Erie County considers restricting use of metal detectors - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Upvote 0

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
As much as I hate to say it, the more people that get into this hobby, the more of this you will see. A lot of people in my area have gotten into flying RC planes. There was so many people doing it that the school district has spent money on signs that say "No flying of remote controlled planes on school property".
Now if more people in my area get into detecting, how long will it take to start seeing "no metal detecting" signs?
Not long I'm sure. But I'll always find somewhere to hunt. :o)

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how a hobby like detecting or flying planes are getting the boot but yet they won't focus on real issues..crimes are up everywhere you look, no jobs, now the freedom to smoke pot in some states and growing...why are they focused on is who are just having harmless fun, so what if we kill a blade of grass heck their smoking grass elsewhere.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Scolded/booted for digging in a tot-lot? For pete's sake , a tot lot is like a sandbox, isn't it? How could anyone gripe about that ? Oh well, I've gotten to where I do most all of my park hunting at night . So peaceful. So serene. ;) And yeah, you gotta have a thick skin in this hobby .

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rc airplanes are actually very dangerous. The battery can explode and start fires. If someone crashes through a window then the damage can be extensive. Also with any hobby outside on public land you have to know when to go. If your doing it when school is in then it disturbs the kids and the administrators get mad and that's it no more, signs everywhere. I make sure I hit my spots after everyone leaves and the parks at dark and stay after till they close. You gotta pick your times to do things or get locked outta everywhere.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the popularity of the hobby has exploded. It's kinda trendy right now and I would bet 50% of the guys doing it less than a year will be out of it next year. The sad part is so many newbies don't cover their tracks. Anytime i been questioned I always make sure I point out to anyone how well I cover my tracks so they know I am a responsible detectorist. I been doing it seriously for about 15 months but dabbled in it for about 8 years.

I have one park where i have dug more than 600 targets and was approached by a worker about metal detecting. He said it wasn't illegal but someone had been digging and leaving a mess. I explained to him how careful i was and showed him almost $6 in clad and asked if he could see where i had been and he said no. He told me as long as I continued doing the same thing he was ok with it. I told him i was worried the other person or persons would ruin it for me and he said don't worry we will catch them and when we do they will be banned. I said thanks. I told him i had hunted the park about 10 times and he said yes i know I have seen you here and that's why I approached you to see if you were they guy i been looking for. I told him along with filling my holes neatly and tamping them down I also remove a lot of trash. He said that's good because a few kids have had their feet cut on tabs and bottle caps. I said here let me show you how i dig. He said ok and in about 3' I ran across some trash and dug it then filled in the hole. He said i am fine with the way you do it. I like that park because it is a producer. They have carnivals there each year and after the carnival it's good for about $25 to $30 in clad plus junk rings.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect to these people & Clubs,
Here is what will cause it to happen.

Untitledrr.jpg

Untitled[po.jpg

The uneducated will look at these & say WOW all these people Digging Holes :o

Then they will read this

Then there are some true legendary finds, like the retired electrician in England who discovered a gold cup in what was later declared an early Bronze Age funerary site.

& they will see "funerary site" and think Graves :o

and We need a Law :o

keep your visible Numbers down, & fingers Crossed.

I also noticed
The policy that Schinzel proposes is modeled after the one in Monmouth County, N.J., where he worked before coming here.
Seems this guy Schinzel is a bad apple, working his way up to
Law Maker :(

Last edited:

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should have lived through the Bad Azz Biker sensation of the 90's. We all said the same thing. It is still all over the place. Thank you very much marketing. Just do your own thing and leave no trace.

Mike

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Rc airplanes are actually very dangerous. The battery can explode and start fires. If someone crashes through a window then the damage can be extensive. Also with any hobby outside on public land you have to know when to go. If your doing it when school is in then it disturbs the kids and the administrators get mad and that's it no more, signs everywhere. I make sure I hit my spots after everyone leaves and the parks at dark and stay after till they close. You gotta pick your times to do things or get locked outta everywhere.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Most planes today are electric , so they are quiet and don't bother people. They are less dangerous than driving down the street. Hay and those cars catch fire too, probably more often. Yes it's good to pick the right time. I hit the beach after 6 when they leave for supper after releasing there loot, LOL. I hit the parks week days, it's less crowded, sometimes vacant. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread