What's new

Theme of the day....irony!

Msbeepbeep

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
15,841
Reaction score
24,153
Golden Thread
0
Location
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bright sunny day, on my way to the park "all" the lights are green. ???
At the trashy park I actually find a clear spot to ground balance the detector. :icon_scratch:
I start finding the usual clad and trash and then there's a golf tee laying on the ground, more digging clad and a set of glowing fangs are laying on top the ground. ???
More clad digging then a plastic silver heart is just laying there. My next penny signal is under the two red cloth hearts, which are next to the purple bottle of bubbles. :icon_scratch:

Nothing old on the clad except the 1940 nickel. It's getting hot, the final signal is bouncing around in the coin range and it's deep, ok, this is coming with me!

Ten minutes later and a foot down I see a rusty metal edge...:icon_scratch: That is NOT a coin!
I dig and pry it up...it looks like a mini rusty flying saucer! ??? ??? :dontknow:
Ok, we've gone from Dark Shadows on the sunny surface finds to Alien Invasion-Gone Wrong on the buried ones! Irony in action, when you're going for the gold, and your trash is more interesting than the finds! :dontknow: :laughing7:
image.webp
Maybe someone knows what the rusty flying saucer is?
image.webp image.webp image.webp
 
Upvote 42
What is that rusty flying saucer? The irony of it all!
Lots of targets dug there!
HH
 
I just HAD to come see this for myself Karen! I'm thinking your errrr... UFO might be the rusty base of something like a basketball goal. Is the white part metal too or concrete? Sometimes those whazzits finds are pretty entertaining. A friend of ours found what he thought was sure a CSA Atlanta Arsenal style buckle like my avatar but it turns out it was a Lucks Bean belt buckle. Who the heck would wear a bean belt buckle?
 
LOL fangs for the Laugh :laughing7:
Many a Time the toy found lying on the Ground was my Best find of the Day :thumbsup:
by the way your flying Saucer looks like a Axle Nut/bolt Cover from a toy Car or wagon

Untitledj.webp
 
Last edited:
When going for the gold one tends to work harder and find less. Ah, but, finding that one special target! After that, nothing else in the day matters.

Just takes time. LOTS of time!!! ;)

You're doing well. It shows that you aren't JUST listening to the ground, you're also seeing! :)

I wonder if they make a plastic detector? Naaaahh! It would NEVER shut up!! ;)

Thanks for sharing!
 
Looks like an old car thermostat.
 
Thank you for posting your quest for gold in a light hearted manner. Although maybe there was a degree of disappointment, but the way you wrote your experience made it look like a fun day out! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the little things in life that make it enjoyable!!!
 
Yup , And then there are those days when you wonder why am I out here doing this ? This is such a crazy pastime , you
should probably go back out to that same park right away - you'll probably score something really good .
 
Why is one can go to the parks and find gold and others just pull tabs and junk? I'm in the group of pull tabs and junk. Keep at it and you will be rewarded....
 
What is that rusty flying saucer? The irony of it all!
Lots of targets dug there!
HH

Thank you!
I'm guessing the little grey guys didn't have AAA road side assistance! :laughing7:
It looks to be a ball and socket disk of some kind. Center ball is hollow and not magnetic.
 
I just HAD to come see this for myself Karen! I'm thinking your errrr... UFO might be the rusty base of something like a basketball goal. Is the white part metal too or concrete? Sometimes those whazzits finds are pretty entertaining. A friend of ours found what he thought was sure a CSA Atlanta Arsenal style buckle like my avatar but it turns out it was a Lucks Bean belt buckle. Who the heck would wear a bean belt buckle?

The bean buckle wearer was probably full of hot air. :laughing7:
The disk is all metal, it reminds me of a giant ball bearing in a socket disk, but the ball part is hollow and non magnet.
Thanks for looking!
 
Last edited:
LOL fangs for the Laugh :laughing7:
Many a Time the toy found lying on the Ground was my Best find of the Day :thumbsup:
by the way your flying Saucer looks like a Axle Nut/bolt Cover from a toy Car or wagon

View attachment 1186872

Lol! You're welcome.
The center part seems to have been a completely round ball at one time, and turns white as it corrodes.
I'm still in awe of all the lights being green, never happened before. Emeralds of another kind I guess. :headbang:
 
When going for the gold one tends to work harder and find less. Ah, but, finding that one special target! After that, nothing else in the day matters.

Just takes time. LOTS of time!!! ;)

You're doing well. It shows that you aren't JUST listening to the ground, you're also seeing! :)

I wonder if they make a plastic detector? Naaaahh! It would NEVER shut up!! ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for looking!
Over this particular piece of ground my detector never stops beeping, that's why I was extremely surprised to hit a patch of "clean" ground! That in it's self is a gift! They used trash furnace clean out as ground fill in a lot of places around here, thus metal debris is every where, and silence is truly "golden" and scarce. :laughing7: and probably why the park is all mine!
 
Scott9050- Could be, I don't know. it's 4 1/4" across and the center part looks like is was a complete hollow sphere at one time.
As long as it doesn't levitate it can stay!
 
Thank you for posting your quest for gold in a light hearted manner. Although maybe there was a degree of disappointment, but the way you wrote your experience made it look like a fun day out! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the little things in life that make it enjoyable!!!

Thank you very much!
In our hobby the thrill is in the hunt and as long as I can hunt, I'm happy!
Besides, I don't want any newbies getting discouraged thinking we all find silver & gold all the time.
 
Yup , And then there are those days when you wonder why am I out here doing this ? This is such a crazy pastime , you
should probably go back out to that same park right away - you'll probably score something really good .

Ya, we all feel that way from time to time, but it's like anything in life you readjust your thinking, clear out the negative that holds you back and try again. As crazy as it sounds I "know" there is a silver or gold ring there some where, I can feel it, I just haven't found it...yet!
Seeing all the great finds being made encourages me to find what's out there.
I know what you mean, I should get back out there right now and make it happen, but time won't let me.
At some point I will come up with that which I seek. Thanks for the encouragement :icon_thumright:
 
Last edited:
Why is one can go to the parks and find gold and others just pull tabs and junk? I'm in the group of pull tabs and junk. Keep at it and you will be rewarded....

Thanks!
I do not know the answer to that, probably be rich if I did!
If pull tab jewelry ever comes into vogue all of us here are going to score BIG! :headbang:
 
Ya, we all feel that way from time to time, but it's like anything in life you readjust your thinking, clear out the negative that holds you back and try again. As crazy as it sounds I "know" there is a silver or gold ring there some where, I can feel it, I just haven't found it...yet!
Seeing all the great finds being made encourages me to find what's out there.
I know what you mean, I should get back out there right now and make it happen, but time won't let me.
At some point I will come up with that which I seek. Thanks for the encouragement :icon_thumright:

It's there already..all you have to do is look for it,I can't even do that..13 days without my M-6..14 to go....


crazy-monkey.webp
 
Last edited:
Oh Chris! My heart felt sympathy! If I had another working detector I'd send it over.
Maybe some strolls thru parking lots, and a little bargain hunting are in order.

I had that same dread two weeks ago when I detected over some kind of underground current making the M6 go crazy. The thought crosses my mind "what am I gonna do if I have to send it in for repair?" Flash backs of winter insanity are scary!

My next hunt, I'll find something for you. That's a long time!
 
MSBB,

I have a feeling that your "Flyin' Saucer" item may have been, at one time, a version of a "Trolley ball caster," or wheel, attached to the bottom of a heavy piece of machinery/table/trolley/furniture for moving it...

trolleycaster.webp
Here is a similar version.

Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom