
The ugly one(1993) is the thick coin, I was comparing it to a regular sized one.Newer Condition .
Hasn't been in Circulation Long![]()
Yes not a (dryer penny,) it would be in garbage condition if it was.Interesting about the "dryer penny". I've not hear of this before. I wonder how a disc would remain on its edge as it was tumbled in a dryer drum. I would expect it to be mostly flat against the drum.
The thick-edged penny seems about the same size as the other but has a thicker and wider edge.
I will weigh it and get back eventually, the weight it was caused me to look at the rim.Could be struck on a thick planchet, it happens. It also could just have higher rims which sometimes happens due to striking pressure or die set-up. Weigh it on an accurate scale that weighs to at least two decimal points, if it's heavy then it's struck on a planchet cut from rolled thick stock. Neither issue is of collector interest unless substantially overweight.
I will in the next day or soWell you can check the weight for the "wrong planchet" theory, but it certainly does not appear to made of nickel.
So it’s a mystery? Here’s a picture of the other side. For entertainmentAs is often the case the internet AI response is wrong. It can't be struck on a nickel planchet because a nickel planchet is larger and would not fit in the cent coining chamber. A nickel struck on a cent planchet is possible because the cent planchet is smaller and would fit. The only way a larger planchet could be struck with smaller dies is if it was intentionally done without a collar but if this was the case there would be no raised rim around the coin and it would be larger in diameter than a nickel.
Not really a mystery, as stated it's either a slightly thick planchet or just a raised rim from high striking pressure. If it's a little overweight then it's a thick planchet, if weight is normal then just a high rim. Both are pretty common occurrences.So it’s a mystery? Here’s a picture of the other side. For entertainment