What's new

Things You Walked Past a few times

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
And then realized upon a little more examination it was a pretty nice artifact.

This is a crude, right hand, hand full sized, hand ax. I must have walked past 15 times before I noticed some flakes had been knocked off giving it an edge. It even has a spot knocked off for the thumb to give it an excellent grip. It is crude, but I imagine it was very functional at busting bone.

I've also have a Metate I walked by plenty of times before it struck me what it was.

Lets see any artifacts you folks may have walked by a few times.

DSCN3736.webp

DSCN3738.webp

DSCN3735.webp
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3737.webp
    DSCN3737.webp
    404.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Upvote 0
...:laughing7:...had to laugh cause I've done that a lot, to many times to count and probably would have to post to many things...lol
 
When I walk the desert I carry what we call a scoop. It is a stone scoop made by Estwing for rock hounds to grab agates out of cold Lake Superior. This is about as long as a golf club with a clam like scoop on the end.

Ok I am constantly flipping and pick up rocks with it. I also kick a lot of rocks. While walking up to the truck I kicked a rock that was sticking out of the ground about two inches and it didn't move and my foot came to a stop. I dropped down and using the scoop I dug out a two sided metate that was warn out on one side so they flipped it over and used the other side.

I got to learn this picture posting thing!!!
 
When I walk the desert I carry what we call a scoop. It is a stone scoop made by Estwing for rock hounds to grab agates out of cold Lake Superior. This is about as long as a golf club with a clam like scoop on the end.

Ok I am constantly flipping and pick up rocks with it. I also kick a lot of rocks. While walking up to the truck I kicked a rock that was sticking out of the ground about two inches and it didn't move and my foot came to a stop. I dropped down and using the scoop I dug out a two sided metate that was warn out on one side so they flipped it over and used the other side.

I got to learn this picture posting thing!!!


hey jon

i am offering help to you as far as the picture posting thing goes
feel free to PM to me with your questions so's i can try to help you

larson1951
 
When I walk the desert I carry what we call a scoop. It is a stone scoop made by Estwing for rock hounds to grab agates out of cold Lake Superior. This is about as long as a golf club with a clam like scoop on the end.

Ok I am constantly flipping and pick up rocks with it. I also kick a lot of rocks. While walking up to the truck I kicked a rock that was sticking out of the ground about two inches and it didn't move and my foot came to a stop. I dropped down and using the scoop I dug out a two sided metate that was warn out on one side so they flipped it over and used the other side.

I got to learn this picture posting thing!!!

LOL! No kids in the neighborhood Jon?

Sounds like my methods, flipping, kicking, prying etc. Both of my complete celts were only showing an inch by an inch before I pried them out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom