Think I can make money off this?

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have a idea to start making scented candles. In all it will cost around $200 to start making them this will make around 400 candles if I can sell for $5 each it make $2000 if all is sold which would be a profit of around $1800. I could also sell for $3 and make $1200 resulting in a $1000 profit. I live by some flea markets which will give me alot of potential customers I could also sell online shipping wouldnt be a problem because I live right next to a post office. Please give me your insight..

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has been looking into this. We have been thinking of buying dairy goats and making candles from them. It sounds like a good deal, I would do it and I will buy some. HH

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has been looking into this. We have been thinking of buying dairy goats and making candles from them. It sounds like a good deal, I would do it and I will buy some. HH

Thanks for your insight!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So I have a idea to start making scented candles. In all it will cost around $200 to start making them this will make around 400 candles if I can sell for $5 each it make $2000 if all is sold which would be a profit of around $1800. I could also sell for $3 and make $1200 resulting in a $1000 profit. I live by some flea markets which will give me alot of potential customers I could also sell online shipping wouldnt be a problem because I live right next to a post office. Please give me your insight..

What about overhead costs? Taxes? ODC's? How much are you going to "pay yourself per hour"? Opportunity cost (your time potentially working at a retail store earning $10 per hour)?

Does the market really support a need for more scented candles? Who is your target audience (who is going to buy them)? Is it sustainable or will your market dry up once they all purchased 1 candle?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you do something very special- different- nobody else is doing it- you are the only one making this patented very special candle...

Scented candles are available everywhere. You would have to have a good marketing hook to go along with it like a portion of the profits go to one arm clinically depressed bald midgets.

If not, I'll buy a cheap one from the grocery store, where there are hundreds on the shelf to choose from.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We have been thinking of buying dairy goats and making candles from them.

A goat ear candle with an eyeball. I might buy one of them for my mother in law.

I'm not sure about the burning hair scent tho...

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are twisted G.I.B............ I like it!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Don't ask us; just go do it and see what happens. If it fails, you got Christmas presents for everybody for quite a while. Good advice given. You need to have a hook that makes your product stand out, and arnofarrell might be on to somethin there, if marketed right. jerseyben brought up the legal aspect, so I guess you could get organized and use your candle business as a tax write-off. In the retail world, candles are considered a 'consumable product'. They're in the same category as light bulbs, toilet paper, aluminum foil, etc., but they're also a specialty consumable, as they're not considered a basic need, so they need to have a certain appeal. You could put some 'Gluten free' and 'Organic' stickers on them as that's big right now. And if you could somehow get some 'As Seen on TV' stickers on them, you will get people's attention on them. I can't stand the smell of them, but that sticker would make rednecks like me stop and take a second look anyway. Seriously, if you like makin candles, go for it. If it's a 'how to make money' thing, try somethin else.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't think Goat scented candles will sell well... maybe at the state fair if you get like an FFA or 4H affiliate?

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you should make treasure candles and put a silver dime in the bottom of each candle, raise each candle price up by 3.00 to cover the cost and fuel of the silver

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HavokSouls,
did you try your candle making yet? Just curious if anything came of it.
tlowery04s' idea was pretty cool too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread