Thirty One Years OF Detecting and I got One !! US Gold Coin

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Thirty One years of Detecting over 300,000 holes dug and I finely dug my first Gold Coin. Found on 3-28-09. It is a 1878 US Five Dollar Gold coin found with my new E-Trac detector. It was like all other signals when digging old foundations, you get a good signal you dig it... But this one was different, NO junk, No shell casing, No Copper, No Lead but a wedge of soil with this gold edge sticking out the side. I could see the gold but in the past I have been fooled by heavy Gilt golden Buttons. I could see the reeding on the edge of the item. I knew now it was a gold coin. As I removed the dirt I was hoping it was a $10.00 gold coin, then I was hoping it was a 1700 gold coin, I then so carefully removed the dirt but I did not scrap the dirt off I picked it off not wanting to cause damage to the surface. I did manage to hit it slightly on the edge with a shovel but you can only tell when holding the coin in the light you can see the new scrapes. Wow 31 years , thousands of holes and when you least expect it .. A Gold 1878 $5.00 coin appears in a hole that should have been just another target ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You never know... !!! Bucky

Attachments

• 0011 1064.jpg
    0011 1064.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6,295
  • 0011 1063.jpg
    0011 1063.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 6,286
Upvote 4
Congrat's on the great find, it's what dreams are made of. :thumbsup:

Just to think ::) I only have 29 years, 11 months to find my first gold......man I hope it comes sooner. Congratulations!!!!!!! Hope you find another one this weekend. Good Luck, beautiful coin.

I have been detecting for over thirty one years and I am still waiting to find a gold coin, I have found a half-dime. a III cent 1866 but no gold coin. I would have hade to have a new pair of pants if I found a coin like that. I envy you. I went out to day and found some clad but nothing gold.

Attachments

• III.JPG
    III.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 186
  • III.JPG
    III.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 198
steviewhite said:
Hello, I have also been hunting 30 years or so and still no gold coins. I did, however find a 2008 NYG Super Bowl Ring last year in June. It had a worth of $25,000. Gave it back to the player who lost it. My best find so far. Received no reward, but enjoyed showing it to everybody. Your coin is awesome. Hope to find some gold soon. Many gold rings, but no gold coins. Good Luck, Keep Hunting, More Gold to Come !! Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV
UH EXCUSE ME FOR SAYING SO......u got ripped off. it is because of treatment like this that i no longer attempt to return anything

Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah Banner Vote Here ..............................................................................All The Way..........I have been killing silver with my E-Trac......
..............I can't imagine finding a Gold Coin.............What kind of reading was it on ET????.......12/22 ?................Just Curious.............Thanks & Congrats

Thanks Again for all the comments. I never looked at the readout on my E-trac but dug the Gold Coin based on the sound of the object. No reason to look at the numbers for the target ID because of the area I was detecting, around old foundations. So I can't tell you what it read.

I hope all of you will find that Gold Coin you are searching for. It will happen when you least expect it.

Bucky

CONGRATS. COME BY THE HOUSE AND HIDE IN MY FRONT YARD AND SEE IF I CAN FIND IT. ;D ;D

Whooooowhooooo! Way to go ! Gee I hope I dont have to wait that long but I'm gaing on it! ;D

Attachments

• congrats6.jpg
    congrats6.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 178
Sorry...I keep coming over to your post to see the GOLD !!!!!
Congratulations Sir.
TnMountains

Beautiful can't wait to find one!

Congrats on the Gold Coin! Having detected since 1979, I have yet to find the Holy Grail of coins, but I will keep trying..........

you've just confirmed the fact that i will always suck...................lol..........congratulations bud

Amazing, just Amazing.
I would have stood there flabergasted and excited all at the same time.
Nice find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back