Thirty One Years OF Detecting and I got One !! US Gold Coin

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Thirty One years of Detecting over 300,000 holes dug and I finely dug my first Gold Coin. Found on 3-28-09. It is a 1878 US Five Dollar Gold coin found with my new E-Trac detector. It was like all other signals when digging old foundations, you get a good signal you dig it... But this one was different, NO junk, No shell casing, No Copper, No Lead but a wedge of soil with this gold edge sticking out the side. I could see the gold but in the past I have been fooled by heavy Gilt golden Buttons. I could see the reeding on the edge of the item. I knew now it was a gold coin. As I removed the dirt I was hoping it was a $10.00 gold coin, then I was hoping it was a 1700 gold coin, I then so carefully removed the dirt but I did not scrap the dirt off I picked it off not wanting to cause damage to the surface. I did manage to hit it slightly on the edge with a shovel but you can only tell when holding the coin in the light you can see the new scrapes. Wow 31 years , thousands of holes and when you least expect it .. A Gold 1878 $5.00 coin appears in a hole that should have been just another target ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You never know... !!! Bucky

Attachments

• 0011 1064.jpg
    0011 1064.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6,295
  • 0011 1063.jpg
    0011 1063.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 6,286
Upvote 4
that is one beautiful coin. I think I've still got about 250,000 more holes to dig LOL

Truly fantastic. I had to keep reading to make sure it wasn't an "April Fool's" posting. You were hoping for an eagle or a 1700's gold coin but I'd say a half-eagle is certainly something to gloat about! Hope you find another, and another!

Mojo

AWESOME!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

That is friggin' SWEET! I know the feeling! I dug a 1868 & 1910 $10 gold coins in 2007! SO EXCITING!!!

Congratulations on an awesome coin. You deserve the GOLD especially after John stole your first one.

NJ

I can only imagine the deep satisfaction you feel after such a find, the find of a lifetime. Congrats doesn't quite cover it, but hey, congratulations anyway.

way to go :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I just nominated this for a banner find.
What settings did you have your etrac on?
That sure helps pay some of the new machine.
Way to go!!!
HH
Dan

That is a GREAT FIND! I'm fifteen years in and not one yet. I'm still diggin.CONGRATS. HH.

Absolutely fantastic!! Big congrats to you!! Now go get that second one!! HH dan

Congrats!!!!!! I am very happy for you, that coin looks great!! I am going on 40 plus years and hope to find one some day. I don't even want to or don't think I could know how many holes I've dug over the years. :) HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back