What's new

This coin is odd

BBJJBB

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2022
Messages
64
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
I dug this coin that is very degraded. Before I removed the dirt I could tell it was a 1817 or 1827 large cent. What's odd is the perfect star shape raised linear lines. They are perfectly straight and I have never been able to get an answer on what's going on here. I thought maybe it was a restrike or counterfeit. The fact that the lines are in this perfect star pattern I just don't know. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • 20220411_232051~3.webp
    20220411_232051~3.webp
    68.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20220411_235216~3.webp
    20220411_235216~3.webp
    120.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20220411_235232~8.webp
    20220411_235232~8.webp
    103.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I was going to say it might be on the die but I think someone carved the "X" or "star" pattern with a knife.

It looks like the center is incuse (recessed) but slightly raised on either side of the incuse part.

As the knife or tool displaces the metal it can accumulate on either side. Sort of like plowing a field if that makes sense?
 
I was going to say it might be on the die but I think someone carved the "X" or "star" pattern with a knife.

It looks like the center is incuse (recessed) but slightly raised on either side of the incuse part.

As the knife or tool displaces the metal it can accumulate on either side. Sort of like plowing a field if that makes sense?
The star pattern is to perfect to be carved by a knife. I dug this coin years ago and this week I finally did what I had to do so I could see this pattern better. Be gentle with me but, I used my electrolysis tub on it, sorry. The deterioration was to severe so I had to. I am going to repost the thread with updated photos of the cleaned coin this week. It brought the pattern out very well. It is definitely a recessed pattern. It looked opposite that because the deterioration in the lines caused them to look raised instead of recessed. It actually is so perfect that the center is in the exact center, dead on. I have it packed to bring it to work to weigh it. I have a 1827 which I am also going to weigh for comparison. As I stated in my post the date looked like it was 1817. The reason I think it might be counterfeit is because it's noticeably thinner and lighter than my 1827. Also the way it has deteriorated it almost seemed like a lesser quality copper. It almost looks like an outer layer is peeling off. I have many large cents in varying conditions but none have degraded like this one. I've noticed the copper in my KG's all seem to be low grade copper. KG's seem to deteriorate much worse than US coppers. Even on this site people post them in they look terrible but 18th century US coppers hold up much better.
 
It looks like graffiti on an old cent or half debt coin imho

The ‘accuracy’ of the 8 pointed star pattern could have created with a pattern over it.

I have several old coins I have dug with scrapes and scratches I have concluded were done on purpose.
 
I dug this coin that is very degraded. Before I removed the dirt I could tell it was a 1817 or 1827 large cent. What's odd is the perfect star shape raised linear lines. They are perfectly straight and I have never been able to get an answer on what's going on here. I thought maybe it was a restrike or counterfeit. The fact that the lines are in this perfect star pattern I just don't know. Any ideas?
Here are three pictures of the coin cleaned. Well, let's just say different.
 

Attachments

  • 20220501_212951~3.webp
    20220501_212951~3.webp
    232.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220501_212951~2.webp
    20220501_212951~2.webp
    541.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220501_212839~2.webp
    20220501_212839~2.webp
    357.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Here are three pictures of the coin cleaned.
Okay, here are their weights.
The known 1827 weighs in at =
10.054
The one I believe to be 1817 or 1827 weighs in at =
9.252
Just holding them in your hand you can feel the difference.
 
Last edited:
prepping to cut in 1/8's? using hammer & axe head?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom