This girl needs a little advice

Beckorama

Mar 12, 2016
Portland, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,...I am new to the site and to metal detecting. I have some questions, I am hoping someone might be willing to help with. I live in Portland, Oregon. I am going to make a purchase of a metal detector in the next few days. I want to hunt for coins and jewelry. I want a machine with a display and waterproof coils. Something easy to use for a beginner. Something that will be able to detect coins and jewelry well. I plan on using it in parks, at the coast, and around popular summer river spots. I am willing to spend up to $600. I was looking at the Garrett Ace 250, but keep getting mixed reviews. I want a display that I can read, not just tones to listen to. Any suggestions? I have been reading so much info lately that it seems like everyone has an opinion that contradicts other information I have read. Getting a little confused on what I should purchase. Can you guys help a girl out? What should I buy? Thanks guys

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of questions which might help narrow it down somewhat....you mention the coast so I'm figuring salt water beach if so you'll need a machine which can handle salt also whether or not you plan on detecting in the water and if that's the case you'll be needing a waterproof machine.

The Garrett Atpro is waterproof but don't believe it does well in or near salt water.

Regards + HH

Bill

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting partner uses a Tesoro Tiger Shark for both land and sea, and has for several years. I've been pretty impressed with his finds and the capabilities of this detector.

Kellyco has this detector for around $640.

Tesoro Tiger Shark Metal Detectors- Kellyco

And, it has a lifetime warranty with Tesoro.

You can always check prices elsewhere. I do not remember the last time I saw a used one for sale - which speaks a lot about it as well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Garrett AT Pro is your best bet in your price range. Saltwater detectors differ from freshwater machines, and are more expensive. Look in our classified section for some good used machines. I have a Tiger Shark for sale there.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry rechecked Garrett's site. AT Pro would be the machine if you are using it in and around salt water. Tesoro Tiger shark is also a good choice.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the Garrett 400.......Might just fit your needs. *Full disclosure* I have used Garrett machines since I started a long time ago. I have never had a problem with my machines. I have used minelabs recently and they are wonderful machines as well. If I had that budget Garrett would be my choice. Also pick up a pro pointer (Garrett AT.. It's submersible to 10ft). Well that's my 2cents. I'm sure others will chime in. Let us know what you decide! Cheers and Happy Hunting!

As much as I favor what I use for a detector, I'd recommend the Garrett 400 as well, since it is WATERPROOF (you need that in Portland!), AND it has LARGE
target ID numbers....PLUS that Garrett AT Pro Pointer is waterproof as well - however, I favor the NOKTA POINTER - it too is waterproof....in total, all of that should be close to your budget.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
B

Beckorama

Mar 12, 2016
Portland, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some more research and I am very interested in the Garrett AT Pro,...I have watched a few videos on operating it, and I like that it is totally submersible to ten feet. That will be nice on hot summer days, I can get in the water and cool down. I am really interested in finding lost jewelry. Coins and other things are cool too.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my detecting buddies is 90-lbs muddy and wet, and she swings her AT Pro with ease. I think you'll love the machine, but be careful! My partner Angelika caught the bug and now owns several machines including the Minelab CTX 3030. It is addictive!

Attachments

• DF2.jpg
    DF2.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 105

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Beck, I agree with the others that the ATP is a great all around machine for the money. Since you will be a beginner I'm sure you will appreciate a numerical read out but as time passes and you learn your machine well you will likely end up ignoring the read out and rely on your ear for target ID as most of us with multiple sound detectors do. The ATP offers two modes, one with a single "bell" tone and the Pro mode which has many tones to better ID target and depth. I hope you get your dream machine soon and learn it well and find a ton of cool stuff!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with those that recommend the Garrett AT Pro. There are a number of machines that have waterproof coils but the machine itself is not, so

if they get splashed, they can be ruined. Not the case with the At Pro, which is submersible, plus it is light, in your price range, and easy to use.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATP you your needs-------------all the way.
:occasion14:
Marvin

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At pro, At pro, At pro....
Now call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, or Kellyco....any Vendor here on Tnet.

Good luck!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget the new Whites MX sport. Fully waterproof, big screen, whites reliability.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done some more research and I am very interested in the Garrett AT Pro,...I have watched a few videos on operating it, and I like that it is totally submersible to ten feet. That will be nice on hot summer days, I can get in the water and cool down. I am really interested in finding lost jewelry. Coins and other things are cool too.

The ATP is an excellent machine, possibly the best value for your money. However it is a bit lacking in saltwater (dry sand is ok). I would suggest that you buy it as your first machine to learn the hobby with and if metal detecting is for you, pick up a second machine for saltwater at a later date. Your ATP will continue to serve you well on dirt and dry sand even after you get a dedicated saltwater machine.

disclaimer: I have never owned an ATP but a couple of hunt buddies use them and I know that they hold their own against most any machine most of the time. if you can afford one as an entry level machine, an ATP is what I recommend to everyone. (and youll note I am something of a Minelab fanboy)

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They have a sale on amazon for this whole kit!! Hope this helps!
http://amzn.to/1Ribia7

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy something lightly used. You'll stretch your $$ further.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you did not limit the advice to a detector:

The Lord loves a working man (woman)

Don't trust whitey