Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
started the day solo at the knoll behind town park again where I landed the 3 Indians on 4/26. only found this old spoon that in the opinion of FMERG is 1800's English 80% AG. then Frank calls and says pick him up and we can hunt a cemetery in Stone Ridge, NY. we get there and ground crew says not without board permission. on to another cemetery in same town dating to the 1600's and nothing but scarce clad and trash. this sucks, back to a park in Kingston, again crappy scarce clad. across the street is city owned burned out 1800's house, my 1st and only hole and out pops a coin too small for a qtr and too big for a nickel. my 1st 2 cent from 1864 but the motto is worn smooth. last pic is from 1820 house in town of Esopus, a gas lamp assembly with valve manifold IMG_0893.JPG IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0892.JPG

Upvote 7

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
really nice finds.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good stuff. looks like someone used that spoon as a hammer

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stopped at the LCS today. Neil from Colonial Stamp & Coin, Kingston NY confirms- 2 cent is small motto, spoon is 1850's European 80% AG, weighs 1.14 troy ounce, sadly motto is worn smooth on the 2 cent but peroxide removed all the green and crud with no damage to details

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe you haven't been eaten alive yet for saying you were hunting cemeteries.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Rob. Cemeteries are off limits and it doesn't matter how old they are. I'm not even a particularly religious person. I do however see detecting on a known cemetery as grave robbing. It is at least bad mojo.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on that spoon and the 2 center ! I'm not surprised to hear the spoon is not English (the hallmarks aren't English at all )
"European" is a bit of a broad brush - I would guess Scandinavia or Russia with the 800 alloy mark .

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice.

I hunt cemeteries, but I find way too many buttons, lol. Just joking.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the first time I hunted a graveyard I also felt uneasy, but after hunting 6 of them and finding absolutely nothing I concluded that many had been there before me. the only thing that is consistent in graveyards is rifle brass, 12 ga. shotgun brass, pulltabs and broken diecast toy cars. regarding the .800 silver spoon it is likely mid 1850's Germany

fastfrank

Feb 17, 2012
Guilford,Ct
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
Couple years back I was working out your way and decided to hunt the stony Pt. battle field.Did good right away!A barber dime,then a merc,then a kid rolled up to me on a lawn tractor and threw me out.Congratz on the two center and silver spoon.Try the lawn at Bear mt..It's awesome!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread