Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People can be interesting. I was in the grocery store this morning and a lady totally went off when the poor cashier asked if she wanted paper or plastic. She was mad as all get out that the plastic is
destroying the universe.

Well, it's not. Just leave plastic out in the sun a few years and it slowly goes back to it's molecular structure. Takes awhile, but dust to dust. Even plastic. BTW she took the plastic. Also probably
wouldn't have a problem if she needed an IV and it came in a plastic container.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if they where trespassing ,not very swift. Big white truck out in the open? My bet is they had permission. If not federally owned some historical preservation sites are privately owned and not illegal to dig with permission.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look bad for someone. Looks bad for everyone in the hobby.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Takes a lot of nerve to detect private property in the daytime with your white truck parked nearby! They either thought they had a right to be there (public land), aren't too bright or are extremely arrogant and don't give a crap.

If I managed that property, I'd put up "No Trespassing" signs every 100 feet. Hard to play stupid when someone points out the sign to you a few feet from where you're digging!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, but this place looks like a tourist trap to me. Like all those places that claim "George Washington slept here" or something similar. Don't get on your high horse about your "historic" site if you're prostituting the land out like a common streetwalker..
But you see they own the land and can do with it what they want..If i owned it i would try to make money with it and just about every one else here would do the same..

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
This busybody needs to get a life and mind her own business. If they're doing something illegal, call the cops. Of course, these guys may decide to pay her a "visit" for ratting them out publicly. Not too smart, Cathy...

Always amazes me when people post comments like this with their real names. This is why I don't have a Facebook account and fought with YouTube for months about using my real name there. Sorry, but forcing people to use their real names online is a BAD idea.

I agree with Tim from Scituate, RI :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
free-bird Tim: Your posts are a breath of fresh air.

Notice too that .... although the guys were mistaken, they DID think they had permission. Because apparently (if I'm reading the gal's ranting correctly), there had been some earlier hunting allowed there. Sure they were mistaken that this somehow extended to the present, or that perhaps they had their boundaries wrong, etc... So this could simply be a case of mistaken permission (very misguided, and very poorly thought out, yet still could be an honest mistake).

And yeah, if those guys WERE sneaking this, they need a little lesson in discretion. Sheesk.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I think ya read it wrong. They had allowed the Hunt Club there, but she said they didn't detect, and also, the guys brought out the old "We didn't see any NO TRESPASSING" Signs. That completely negates their first "Permission" excuse.

Mike

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
People have to much time on their hands. These guys were metal detecting on property that was not theirs. They went detecting on a nice day to look for coins or artifacts in a field without a NO Trespassing sign. They are harassed by a ninja who is bent on escalating nothing into something for no reason. Conversation should have been : Hello guys not sure if you know this, it is private property and the owner does not want you on the property. Done.. see ya move on. In addition why have you not dug on the property ? You should seek your own permission, remove any objects of any historic significance, and donate to the cause. BTW. Here in NY it will be a cold day in hell if you get arrested for trespassing without a sign. Its a non issue the first time, after that could cost you $50.00 fine. PS it could cost you a fat lip also.. To many more important issues to deal with in the world.. I for one will seek all possible options to get permission. These guys were just enjoying the day hoping the owner would drop by and grant them permission... JIm

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But you see they own the land and can do with it what they want..If i owned it i would try to make money with it and just about every one else here would do the same..

Absolutely! Nothing wrong with that, but don't rent it out and then act like these diggers raped your holy land when you caught them "stealing" coins or relics from the dirt. If the place is hallowed ground, treat it that way. Rope it off and preserve it for eternity...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, I think ya read it wrong. They had allowed the Hunt Club there, but she said they didn't detect, and also, the guys brought out the old "We didn't see any NO TRESPASSING" Signs. That completely negates their first "Permission" excuse....

gollum, I interpretted the phrase "hunt club" to mean a metal detecting hunt club. But now I see that it could mean hunt (as in "hunt" with guns for animals) club. Perhaps one of those md'rs was a member of that other club ?

In any case, I have already said that their stance was not well-thought out, was flimsy, etc.... I agree. But just saying that , on the other hand, it might (albeit misguided) not have been blatantly trespassing in their mind. As for their statement that "we didn't see any signs", well, put yourself in their shoes: The gal comes up with what a lengthy tirade, says the cops are on their way, etc....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Example: Once time a guy in a city we barely know, invites us to go md'ing behind an old tavern. He said something about how he knows the nephew or son of the owner, blah blah. We never gave it a moment's thought, as he seemed like he knew what he was doing. Ie.: he was the local guy, and we were just his out of town guests. We started finding wheaties and silver, but .... within 15 minutes, we were angrily accosted by someone who said we were trespassing. Our host tried to calm him down by citing his connections, etc.... The fellow promptly informed us all that that person didn't have that authority , or that the place had since changed owners, or something like that. So ... of course .... we packed it up and left.

I give that example to show that it is possible, however mis-guided, to think some place is ok, when it might not have been .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your not personally given permission to hunt private property then you do not have permission to hunt...

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this quote from their website. Is this a historical site or just a tourist trap? If this place is so precious and historic, why are they renting it out to anyone who wants to throw a bash there?

Nice detective work.
Perhaps they lost an old family heirloom when they had rented the place out, to celebrate an anniversary of some sort. ;)
And, they were merely there trying to recover it is all. :)

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Example: Once time a guy in a city we barely know, invites us to go md'ing behind an old tavern. He said something about how he knows the nephew or son of the owner, blah blah. We never gave it a moment's thought, as he seemed like he knew what he was doing. Ie.: he was the local guy, and we were just his out of town guests. We started finding wheaties and silver, but .... within 15 minutes, we were angrily accosted by someone who said we were trespassing. Our host tried to calm him down by citing his connections, etc.... The fellow promptly informed us all that that person didn't have that authority , or that the place had since changed owners, or something like that. So ... of course .... we packed it up and left.

I give that example to show that it is possible, however mis-guided, to think some place is ok, when it might not have been .

I have to wonder what might happen if a large group of MD'ers went to the tavern and spent tons of money on alcohol while also going out and doing a little bit of respectable swinging/digging?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an obvious question. Does this property abut public land? With all that acreage, it could be possible to lose your bearings. It just seems really dumb to try and pull this off in the daytime with a truck parked nearby...

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I think ya read it wrong. They had allowed the Hunt Club there, but she said they didn't detect, and also, the guys brought out the old "We didn't see any NO TRESPASSING" Signs. That completely negates their first "Permission" excuse.

Mike

When the cops are coming it is your word against theirs, I would point out it was not posted in case the person that gave me permission didn't have the authority or I wasn't at the right area they did give me authority to hunt...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they weren't personally given permission they were trespassing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread