What's new

this looks like a bone fish hook

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
john and me have always tried to figure this out

we just don't know what it is?...... we found it together many years ago IMG_0184.webp IMG_0183.webp

i think you see which one i am talking about

larson1951
 
Upvote 0
You always find cool stuff. I have only seen three others found in a catch together on the trinity river here in texas. I would say yep thats probally what it is. My friend also found some waco sinkers(net weighs) near his "fish hooks". Have you found anything like that near where you found this one?
 
That is a bone fish hook made from the toe of a deer. There has been a few found in my area and I was with my buddy when he found one. A real class A find:thumbsup:
 
You always find cool stuff. I have only seen three others found in a catch together on the trinity river here in texas. I would say yep thats probally what it is. My friend also found some waco sinkers(net weighs) near his "fish hooks". Have you found anything like that near where you found this one?

yup and thank you much.................... we do find sinkers but hey are round sandstone with a groove all the way around them



That is a bone fish hook made from the toe of a deer. There has been a few found in my area and I was with my buddy when he found one. A real class A find:thumbsup:

i wanna thank you for the opinion........we keep thinking it could be a hook....one thing for sure is that it is maybe chalcedony or white petrified wood but not not bone
but i want to thank you for your opinion......this is the first time i posted an image of this artifact and i certainly do not wanna start a long argumentative thread my friend.........just sayin'


larson1951
 
Last edited:
yup and thank you much.................... we do find sinkers but hey are round sandstone with a grove all the way around them





i wanna thank you for the opinion........we keep thinking it could be a hook....one thing for sure is that it is maybe chalcedony or white petrified wood but not not bone
but i want to thank you for your opinion......this is the first time i posted an image of this artifact and i certainly do not wanna start a long argumentative thread my friend.........just sayin'


larson1951

You would know more about what it is made of , fish hooks made from the toe bone of a deer look just like that shape. It is still a A+ find:notworthy:
 
You would know more about what it is made of , fish hooks made from the toe bone of a deer look just like that shape. It is still a A+ find:notworthy:


likes monster and appreciate the input

this is what the forum is all about.......sharing thoughts and information

larson1951
 
Our sinkers are very similar. Grooved length wise and made of quarts or cobblestone. Great find! congrats!
 
Those are absolutely awesome finds! :notworthy: Do you think they were used on a shaft, and used in arrowing fish ince they already have the barbs on them?
 
Well I know why you dont want to start a debate on the stone piece. They werent ever said to actually be made from stone at least not the real ones anyway.
Can I see a pic of your net weights Larson? I also am wondering even though I have never seen one if your hook might be a ata-la-ta hook for throwing a spear. I know I spelled it wrong but you know what I meant.
 
Good job rock!
That seems more likely to me.
 
Well I know why you dont want to start a debate on the stone piece. They werent ever said to actually be made from stone at least not the real ones anyway.
Can I see a pic of your net weights Larson? I also am wondering even though I have never seen one if your hook might be a ata-la-ta hook for throwing a spear. I know I spelled it wrong but you know what I meant.


ok rock i will get you a picture of the weights that go with these hooks

the bone fish hooks are not atlatl hooks they are made from mostly bird bone.....but you bring up a good point
however the atlatl hooks from this area were made from a "Y" of an antler section and sometimes a solid "Y" from a chokecherry branch
these bone hooks would never work and were not used for that purpose.....but i do see what you and gator friend mean by that
if you look up atlatl s on you tube it would show you a ton of info and much cool insight on the atlatl
there is a small but powerful and accurate atlatl thrower by the name of 'doug basset' on you tube and wow when he throws that dart into the target it sure hits hard.......
.........check that out
 
The stone Steve.
The stone looks like an atlatl hook.
Probably made long before those bone fish hooks,arrow points and awls.
 
Last edited:
The stone Steve.
The stone looks like an atlatl hook.
Probably made long before those bone fish hooks and awls.


you know gator that is very possible
let me ask you do you think it would show some more 'polish' on the tip if it was
we always thought fish hook but i am thinking not a fish hook more and maybe you have a good thought gator
 
rock came up with that.. that's a real cool piece! I think if its as old as I'm thinking there would be no difference in polish noticeable any longer.
 
Yes the stone hook not the bone hook. I guess I didnt explain myself very well when I was asking.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom