What's new

This makes 2

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after walking for about 3 miles with nothing I decided to go to my fav spot and found another point/ knife IDK exactly for sure and I need some input on these 2 I have found. The bases are not broke on them just in case you might think they are. Give me your thoughts on these as to what type they are. Found in Ga. Thanks, rock. 100_2098.webp100_2101.webp100_2100.webp100_2102.webp100_2020.webp The first one I found today, The last one I found last week. Same spot on both.
 
Upvote 0
The one on the far left I just hit with the loop and is just a waste flake. I hope to find the tool they made with that one.
 
Anyone? I sure would like to know what these are.
 
Congratulations! You have some really nice points, and that material is outstanding. :icon_thumleft:
 
Congratulations! You have some really nice points, and that material is outstanding. :icon_thumleft:

Thank you but I would like to know what they are? I have never found a single point in this spot for 3 yrs just tools and knifes. I would like to get a period on them for the age. Thanks, rock
 
Its tuff with rough stem points because there is so many but if you want a date its archaic probably.middle.
 
It looks like a rough Alachua..but I think your in Georgia so Mabey an Elora.
 
Last edited:
It's hard to make an authentic guess on a possible stemmed point unless there are characteristic flaking that are known to a certain type point. In other words, the point may have had a more pointed stem, a straight stem, or a fanned out stem, all with different classifications. It may have even been a knotched point. Still a very nice point.
 
those are awesome i love that material, congrats rock
 
old digger said:
It's hard to make an authentic guess on a possible stemmed point unless there are characteristic flaking that are known to a certain type point. In other words, the point may have had a more pointed stem, a straight stem, or a fanned out stem, all with different classifications. It may have even been a knotched point. Still a very nice point.

I was taking his word as he stated they were not broken.
 
Of the three together maybe the center one leans towards a morrow men. It is just hard to say other than that they were used and worn out. Material was plentiful and they made more. stemmers with out stems are a tough call even with flaking. They may have been even unfinished pints. My guess is that there is lots of material like that in the area. Sorry could not help more.
 
Thank you all for your thoughts on these. It is so hard to decide due to where I live at. It takes sometimes a week to decide from the OS#12. I have to look through...GC, EC, ES, SC and even NC at times. So I am talking 1/2 the book! Then I have to mark each one that sounds like it then go back and flip a coin LOL. But actually the 2 I had narrowed it down to was MM and Elora and here we are. The one with no stem looks just like a Morrow Mountain and the other looks a lot like a Elora both could be the same age. Both look to be made by the same person by the large flake removed in the same spot near the top of each. The striking looks to be Early to middle Archaic which would fit all the other Artifacts I have found in that area. I wont ramble any further and I truly hated even asking but I was stumped on these. They are going into my collection for a frame. Thanks again, rock
 
Last edited:
Morrow mountain would be a good guess. I'm assuming you're in the WV area? Some Kanawha flint in there?
 
I was taking his word as he stated they were not broken.

No not broken. The stems have been worked and the very ends. I have plenty of brokes and know the difference. Thanks
 
Morrow mountain would be a good guess. I'm assuming you're in the WV area? Some Kanawha flint in there?

No actually Ga and close to Tn, SC, Ala and not that far from Kentucky either. Rite near the trail of tears.
 
Well I think it has been nailed. The one with a stem could be MM but I believe it is a Elora and the other looks just like a MM from the guide. They both could be MM but I think the other is a Elora. Thank you so much for helping me out on this. rock
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom