This one has been asked at least 100 times.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new to the MD game and one of my many questions is as follows. If money was no object(except maybe that $4500 MD), would I be better off buying an El Cheapo to learn with and then buy what I think I really want to end up with once I get passable results with the cheaper one. I am mainly going to search old homesites and poke around for coins. The closer I get to becoming a relic myself,the more I get interested in finding some. Thanks, Jim

Upvote 0
coolpix9 said:
The closer I get to becoming a relic myself,the more I get interested in finding some.
LOL! Don't think about it like that. Think fine wine, Jim!

I wouldn't say to start off with a lower-end model. Depending on where you're hunting, your better targets may be deeper, out of the range of a lower-end detector. I would say get the best (or one of the best) detectors you can afford, and get started on the learning curve. Maybe a higher-end White's or Minelab.

If money is no object, get a higher end model of any of the major brands. If you buy something inexpensive it could be so disappointing that you give up. With a higher end model, you will learn to use it as you go and you'll never be sorry. Most of the machines today are great, so just take a chance on one of them and go for it. Don't delay, even a fine wine can turn to vinegar. LOL

So many buy El Cheapo and learn real quick that you get what you pay for, and they have to go out and buy a normal detector from one of the major brands or the El Cheapo sits in a closet never to see the light of day. This doesn't mean you need to get the top of the line. Many do because of the extra enjoyment and finds they get with it. Many newbies thing they are smart an buy their first detector from an auction on ebay. This is a mistake for the first detector for one reason. You might be getting someone else's broken down machine that they want to take your money and buy themselves a new one. You being a newbie, you won't know if it is working correctly or not and it's like marrying a psycho for your first wife.

You being a newbie, you won't know if it is working correctly or not and it's like marrying a psycho for your first wife.
::) :D

Yes get some real stuff, I would get an Explorer SE if I had the cash. Sound like it is a good "Hobby machine". But let others talk who have experience with it..

I would go with a top-end machine made by either White's, Tesoro, Minelab or Garrett. You get what you pay for ~ that's just my opinion of course.

Nothing against the cheaper modles, but Coolpix9 said "money was no object" , therefore stay far away from bounty hunter, radio shack models, used machines or any detector less than $800.00.

Good Luck ~ let us know what you decide....

P.S. The same goes for diggers, I recommend the Leschie - I went through tons of cheap diggers from Walmart, Garden Centers, Hardware Stores - they all ended up breaking or bending. Read up about the Leschie....

Night Stalker

I would say for a newbie, half-way. Something too expensive has more gadgets and adjustments that could get you confused if you don't know the basics. Something too cheap may not give you the true experience of treasure hunting, if it doesn't at least get descent signals. Spend about $250 to $600 on a good machine that gives basic and automatic detection with the least amount of controls, then you can get a feel for the hobby and get something with more options. I would go no lower than a Garrett Ace 250, and on the high end a Whites Matrix M6. Both machines will break you into the hobby with ease, while giving a good detection experience. You can always keep either for a back up machine if you decide to upgrade, or you stand a good chanch of making most of your money back if you don't like it.

Buy the best detector you can afford!!
My first detector was a cheapo from radio shack that was a Christmas gift. It lied to me worse than my cousin Earl. I would get a signal and dig and dig and dig with no results. It got very discouraging and frustrating. I purchased a Minelab Explorer XS( now it would be the SE). I didn't realize at the time that I was buying top of the line, but I'm glad I did. While the manual settings can get very confusing, the unit also has a preset mode from the factory so you can just turn on and go. As I have matured as a MDer, I have started to utilize the manual settings. Most often though, I still use the preset mode and I've had the machine for 5 years.

Everyone here has given good advice. I've been doing this for 32 years and 30 as a dealer. I cannot even begin to tell you how many have come to me after they bought a cheap detector and thought of giving up the hobby becasue they thought it was all hype. They were not finding consistent older finds that they were led to beleive they would. Get what your budget will allow ; get information on what's available ; decide where you want to hunt more often and what you want to hunt for. No reason to get a land detector if you want to do all of your hunting in the water. Anyway , if you need any more help in your decision or purchase please let me know and I'll be happy to help you out. 8)

Guess who the big winner is . Read the reviews . Winners 4 years in a row I believe . No I don't own one but will soon . NATILUS $660.00 from Kelleyco .

OH , BTW see how many used ones you can find + if you do find one what kind of prices they are bringing . Nuff Said Good luck with whatever you decide on . If you don't like it you can resell it for about what you paid for it new . If you happen to buy one soon and want to resell it before to long I'll buy it at a slighty less than new price . BTW if anyone else out there has one for sale PM me .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back