This place I call Home

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Here is a shot of the side of a very large rock that is about 40 feet above the canyon floor.
the very small pine trees trying to grow in a hole of this rock are an example of absolute persistence.

Attachments

• Ted\'s_site_020-A.jpg
    Ted\'s_site_020-A.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Ted\'s_site_022-A.jpg
    Ted\'s_site_022-A.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Ted\'s_site_023-A.jpg
    Ted\'s_site_023-A.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 329
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Cyndi,

The weather is extreme in this area.
the seeds may have blown there.

the wind goes through here at hurricane strength and when it rains (it seldom does)
It comes straight down and hard.
If a stone is laying on the ground the odds are the rain will wash the dirt away from around the stone and leave the dirt under the stone where it is creating a pedestal under the stone.

This happens much out here and is quite interesting to see.

Here is one I posted earlier as an example.

Attachments

• Ted\'s_site_033-A.jpg
    Ted\'s_site_033-A.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Ted\'s_site_033-A.jpg
    Ted\'s_site_033-A.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 331

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
ah yes...the mexican hat...I remember that one...the way that works just seems incredible to me....to see how the dirt stays under the rock yet leaves all around it...you would think it would wash that away too...must be pretty well compressed under there.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
This has been a great thread to read. Beautiful pics, awesome views and a nice way to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning :coffee2: :coffee: Thanks for sharing your part of the world. Look forward to more pics ;D

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Cyndi,

The soil isnt that compacted that these things don't eventually fall down,
there are even Spanish signs that sit up on these things.

I think the Spanish took advantage of some of the geological features in this area and made quite a spectacle of the trails they used here. there is a mule trail that goes over the top of this hill and it has some very interesting signs due to this weather feature.

Unfortunatly these photos aren't mine so I must wait a bit to get permission to show them.
Ted may want to wait a while as he is using them right now.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Old Dog said:
Cyndi,

The soil isnt that compacted that these things don't eventually fall down,
there are even Spanish signs that sit up on these things.

I think the Spanish took advantage of some of the geological features in this area and made quite a spectacle of the trails they used here. there is a mule trail that goes over the top of this hill and it has some very interesting signs due to this weather feature.

Unfortunatly these photos aren't mine so I must wait a bit to get permission to show them.
Ted may want to wait a while as he is using them right now.

Thom

Hopefully Ted will let you share them later so we can learn. He was very generous to share the mexican hat one....too cool! Someplace mom had sent me some photos of a bunch of "balancing rocks" that she took.....now I keep thinking back and trying to remember what they looked like to see if it was something similar to these. I just remember her referring to them as balancing rocks and thinking they were really cool. Maybe I will go through my cds and find them or see if she knows where hers are...now I just gotta look! lol

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Here is another one for you,
it is about a half mile away from the first and is on a semi solid but carved out pedestal. on a second look there is more stone than soil under this one.
I think it was constructed rather than occurring naturally.

Thom

Attachments

• Balanced rock.jpg
    Balanced rock.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 320

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
yes, that one does look like it is stone other than just the very top under the rock. Very cool!

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Me too, but give this one a few days and it will change.

Can't leave one up too long, there are so many good ones out there.
LOL
Thom

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Me too, but give this one a few days and it will change.

Can't leave one up too long, there are so many good ones out there.
LOL
Thom

I know what you mean, I was Jim Carrey for a while, then had a couple of Raising Arizona shots. It's fun to change it every once in a while. B

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
It has been a month since I posted on this thread.
Sorry, have been pretty busy.

Today Doug and I got a wild hair and decided to see what was on top of one of these canyons we are climbing in.
It was a beautiful Spring day to start with and only got better as we went higher.
We progressed to the half way point and found a place for lunch...
Then proceeded to the top, I took a couple hundred pictures and the last ones were classic ...
"Top of the world " Check out the view !! What a panorama.
First two of me By Doug and of course I took at least one or two of my partner.

Attachments

• 52908_090 A.jpg
    52908_090 A.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 284
  • 52908_091 A.jpg
    52908_091 A.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 52908_094 A.jpg
    52908_094 A.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 52908_093 A.jpg
    52908_093 A.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 284

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Hi Doug!! :hello: Hi Thom!! :hello: Sure looks like you guys are on top of the world! Gorgeous view! Thanks for sharing!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shot and great view oh of you guys too! ;D Oh! I just love seeing "Where you live"! Its wonderful when people come on here and share like this! :icon_sunny:

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
wonderful pics!! think i know where some of those were taken. and some even look like areas near me. i was raised in a small town in sw colorado named Mancos. think i rode most of that country on horseback. It is all pretty and wonderful country. you can turn a canyon corner and be in a totally new world. a lot of those pics look like the country where i have detected around Aztec NM. Others look like places north of Shiprock Arizona going to Cortez Colorado. But did you have to show the one fishing picture?? Dangit now i have the fever will have to grab my fly rod and head Up there... Can almost taste the fresh trout rolled in cornmeal over the campfire. Okay now i am drooling!!!

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Al,

New Mexico is one of my favorite places on earth.
But the closest any of these pictures get to Mancos or Cortez is Basalt. The flyfishing picture is about 40 miles to the SE of Grand Junction, A special ;little place I know of that has cutthroat trout.

All of the desert pics are within half an hour of Grand junction.
There are no Four Corners pictures in this thread.

Sorry, there is a reason But suffice to say those pics are very sensitive right at this time.
I don't even speak about the four corners area on T-Net. LOL.

Gorgeous country though.
The fishing is awesome on the South Fork and especially around Cortez.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread