Those Pesky Kids!

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
Went to a small town park surrounded by 2 old churches and a number of old houses. Mostly pull tabs and an occasional penny or dime. Then two young boys on bikes that were killin time came up and ask the usual questions – what are ya doin, etc. The one young man seemed to be real interested so I started showing him how the detector worked, pinpointing and so on. Then he starts telling me about an empty house in town that he and his brother found some coins on the ground. I'm thinking uh huh. Then he tells me they found a bottle that had writing on it. I said OK now i'm interested. He explained in back of the house is where they were digging in a hillside leading down to the tracks. He really wanted to show me so I thought what would it hurt to look. Sure enough it looked like evidence of a possible privy or dumping area and the house looked real good for detecting. Nice old stone foundation. He tried to get me to detect but I explained I really needed permission first so back to the park.

He came back to check on me a little later and we got talking about that house again. Came to find out it was his grandfather's who is now in a nursing home that then went to his aunt (mom's sister). Again he asked me to go over and (noticing he had a cell phone) I asked him if he could call his mom to see what she thought. Got the Ok so off we went. Lots of targets. Finally got a wheat in the back yard. Went up to the front sidewalk and, within 12 inches on the yard side my next three targets were wheaties. All of a sudden my back stopped hurting so much. Worked my way toward the house and about half way up the day became a total success - a beautiful 1865 2c piece.

Sorry for the size of some of the pics as this was my first time posting pics. The threaded item says A. Schrader's Inc. N.Y. Pat. Mar. 27 1906 & Pat. Pending. I'm thinking a stopper or fuse?? The key says Master Lock Co Milwaukee USA. Not that old but I liked the lion.

Anyways, if it weren't for those kids the 2 center would still be in the ground ;D

Attachments

• 100_1702.JPG
    100_1702.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_2785.JPG
    IMG_2785.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 618
  • 100_1702.JPG
    100_1702.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_2785.JPG
    IMG_2785.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 616
Upvote 0

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
nice finds, and i agree you definatly have to pay off your source in gum or candy

OP
OP
drgest

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Yes, you guys are right. I'm starting to feel a little guilty now. He was long gone when I found the good stuff. I do need to go back and finish the front yard. If I see him I'll try to make it right. Actually, I think this guy might rather have one of the wheaties I found.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teach him how to detect and the rules that go with the hobby and you've got a new huntin partner! Sometimes
"Those Kids" can be pretty great! :hello2:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Wow what a day! Nice 2 center, and if I'm not mistaken, that tool in the lower right of the first picture is a gun tool for old rifles as well!! I know I've seen several posted that are Civil War period, hold out for a positive ID though. Nice finds!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrsherman said:
Wow what a day! Nice 2 center, and if I'm not mistaken, that tool in the lower right of the first picture is a gun tool for old rifles as well!! I know I've seen several posted that are Civil War period, hold out for a positive ID though. Nice finds!!!

Yes, it is a Model 1863 combination gun tool. I've found 2c pieces, but never one of those. Great find!

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
drgest

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Wow. I was curious about those items. Thanks for the responses guys. I'll post better pics later tonite. Gotta go to a tea party :protest:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi :hello:

great finds.... I think the threaded item is a old hot water bottle stopper, the ones you used to put in beds juring those cold winter nights before central heating :icon_pale:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
don'tcha just love pesky kids?? wow you reall scored!
here is the way I resize my pics.
okey dokey! this is how ya do it- - -
right click on pick you want to size
scroll down to" open with" & click Paint
image will appear in paint window
go up to left hand corner of window & click on Image
click on stretch/skew
new window will open with boxes
in horizontal box put in 25
in vertical put in 25 & click ok
your pic should be resized make sure you save as, I use title & email so I can find it easily. any problems let me know. hope this helps

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again.....

windows photo gallery, very easy, fix, crop picture, apply :thumbsup:

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't always work out so good but I am a firm believer in KARMA! Awesome finds!! Sometimes it pays to be nice!! :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
drgest

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Posted by: Mental Granny
Insert Quote
Teach him how to detect and the rules that go with the hobby and you've got a new huntin partner! Sometimes
"Those Kids" can be pretty great! hello2

I sure felt like we were partners that day in spite of our age difference. He was a great kid.

Posted by: garthbfan169
Insert Quote
It doesn't always work out so good but I am a firm believer in KARMA! Awesome finds!! Sometimes it pays to be nice!! thumbsup

Thanks garth. You know, even if I wouldn't have found much I still would have had fond memories of that day and those kids. His older sister was just a sweetheart also. I have a feeling I'll run into them again someday.

OP
OP
drgest

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Posted by: TiredIron
Insert Quote
Maybe the rest of the weapon that fits that nice "Trigger Guard" will show up.
is it brass or steel..?
TiredIron

Thx TiredIron. I have to confess my ignorance and say I never suspected a trigger guard. That's exciting. It is covered in rust which would indicate steel to me. Here's some better pics. Should I try electrolysis?

Attachments

• 100_1722.JPG
    100_1722.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_1723.JPG
    100_1723.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 268
OP
OP
drgest

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Posted by: BuckleBoy
Insert Quote
Quote from: jrsherman on Today at 11:40:59 AM

Yes, it is a Model 1863 combination gun tool. I've found 2c pieces, but never one of those. Great find!

Thanks for the ID guys. Very much appreciated. Here's a couple closer pics and a link to one that has not been dug. I am feeling more and more fortunate. Would this be a good candidate for electrolysis as well?
http://www.shilohrelics.com/cgi-bin/Display_Items.asp?Cat=133&Sub=465

Attachments

• 100_1720.JPG
    100_1720.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_1721.JPG
    100_1721.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 271

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread