What's new

Thought it was a woods hibernia, but?

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all dug this coin tonight at an old site, actually dug 2 out of the same hole but the other one is completely gone. I thought it was going to be a 1723 woods hibernia, but I can clearly see a 16 which looks like the first two numbers of the date. Can anyone help me with this. The front side has a bust facing to the right hand side of the coin, similar to a KG with some writing that I cant make out in about the 2 o' clock position.
 

Attachments

  • what1.webp
    what1.webp
    63.2 KB · Views: 370
  • what2.webp
    what2.webp
    58.8 KB · Views: 386
You can see the "16" on your coin. That's a good old find! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • J00081X4.webp
    J00081X4.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0
I think thats it IP. What is that coin?
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
I think thats it IP. What is that coin?


Irish William and Mary halfpenny. (1692-1694)
 
Upvote 0
Sweet! Thanks for that Patch. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Yeah plus I got 2, well Im assuming there both the same. Already got a woods anyway. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
Yeah plus I got 2, well Im assuming there both the same. Already got a woods anyway. :thumbsup:


I am quite sure that's it because it's clearly early Irish showing the "16" and it's not Charles or James.... so that's just leaves William & Mary for that style of halfpenny.
 
Upvote 0
Im pretty sure you nailed it after studying the pic you put up and from what I can see on my coin.
 
Upvote 0
STELLAR FIND man!!Your rare coin collection is sky rocketing bud :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Thank you Kuger! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
:headbang:

That would be a Good find here :o so a stunner for you guys :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:headbang:

That would be a Good find here :o so a stunner for you guys :icon_thumleft:

SS

Now thats a compliment. Thank you SS. I knew it was on the rarer side for up here, but seems its probably rarer then I think for.
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
Silver Searcher said:
:headbang:

That would be a Good find here :o so a stunner for you guys :icon_thumleft:

SS

Now thats a compliment. Thank you SS. I knew it was on the rarer side for up here, but seems its probably rarer then I think for.
I got my first one earlier in the year, but mine was a farthing, with very little detail. The chemicals in the soil here usually destroy the coppers we find, unless you get one of pasture there's little chance of a good one :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
I hear ya. There was actually another coin in the same hole as this one, but it is completely wiped of any detail. Im just happy this one had enough for an ID.
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
I hear ya. There was actually another coin in the same hole as this one, but it is completely wiped of any detail. Im just happy this one had enough for an ID.
Is that a 3 on the reverse I see :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • WM.webp
    WM.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
It sure as heck looks like a 3. What would that be doing down there? Its lower then the 16 is.
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
It sure as heck looks like a 3. What would that be doing down there? Its lower then the 16 is.
That's why I was asking, there's possible a 1 just before it :dontknow: I was wondering if it could be some sort of a conterstamp :dontknow: which would make it even better :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom