Upvote 0

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't hunt alone and carry a long handled scoop or shovel. If you are licensed for a concealed weapon, take it. These are tough times and you are out on the beach at night with a $600 to a $1200 metal detector. Hunt with a partner as well.
I will relate a story told to me by the late Claude Rainey. He was hunting Daytona Beach about 9 pm in front of the Boardwalk. Not a soul on the beach when he noticed a couple of guys leaning on the rail watching him. Claude kept an eye on them and grew nervous when the split up. One came down from the pier area and the other walked about a 100 yards to the north of him. The one from the pier approached him and asked for a light for his cigarette. Claude handed him his lighter and the guy lit his cigarette, thanked him and handed it back to him. The guy walked on down to where his buddy was standing still 100 yards away. Claude watched them out of the corner of his eye as the met, chatted and began walking back toward him. Claude thought to himself, Time to leave as he figured he was going to get robbed. He walked toward a resort where a lot of people were partying.
If you get attacked, I'd run into the surf where the footing isn't the best and start swinging that long handled scoop and screaming "FIRE, FIRE!". If there are people on the beach walking then hunt but if its deserted, carry a .45 Long Colt derringer or a .22 Magnum derringer and know how to use it. Think Safe, and be safe. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor said:
Don't hunt alone and carry a long handled scoop or shovel. If you are licensed for a concealed weapon, take it. These are tough times and you are out on the beach at night with a $600 to a $1200 metal detector. Hunt with a partner as well.If there are people on the beach walking then hunt but if its deserted, carry a .45 Long Colt derringer or a .22 Magnum derringer and know how to use it. Think Safe, and be safe. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Great advice... :icon_thumright: Times are tough and there are some cowards out there that are looking for a opportunity to strike. There is safety in numbers. They are looking for an easy mark, not a brawl. :violent1:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The homeless use the beach as their bedroom at night down here. Also, the sharks feed at night so I wouldn't go in the water. I go about an hour before sunrise when I hunt. Most uptonogooders are peacefully sleeping by then.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While all the advice above is pretty good, IMO nobody can answer this question for you. YOU must decide for yourself :thumbsup:

I've hunted the beach many times @ night and have NEVER had a problem. Matter of fact, I know MANY people like me who find hunting at night the most enjoyable time to detect.

H-O-W-E-V-E-R...

Again, only YOU can answer this question as there's too many variable at play, such as;

1. Is the area you'd like to hunt a reasonably safe one?

2. Is there foot traffic nearby even at night (within a few minutes)?

3. Would you be comfortable out there at night going it alone? Or would you be a 'nervous nancy'? Sad to say, but, the more fear you give off, the more appetizing you look to potential troublemakers. They can sense it :sign13:

4. Do you have the appropriate gear? I wear a good quality (bright) headlamp on the beach at night. Not only is it PERFECT for seeing targets in the dark, but, it let's others know someone's on the beach & attracts attention. Just what the hooligans DON'T want :icon_sunny:

The list can go on forever, but, as you can see, there are quite a few reasons why you need to decide for yourself in reference to night hunting. My personal belief...

Most folks are ruled by fear. We think the worst. Try it and see what happens. Just be prepared in case something DOES go wrong.

Be safe & good luck!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love hunting at night, but because of the sharks down here I don't go beyond ankle deep at night. I've never had any problems and I try to stay in the lighted areas of the beach, even if it's just lighting from one of the condo buildings. Problem is, I hardly ever get a chance to go! :laughing7:

OP
OP
gildeal

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay, thanks everyone, I am new to the Daytona beach area, and it does have a bit of a rough edge to it. however I am confident in my ability to defend myself within reason. I am a big guy, and am in good shape, but anything can happen to anyone. I am not particularly fearful, just cautious. so I am headed out, and will carry protection this time out, I'm sure it will be unnecessary, but as said, it is better to be with, than be without! thanks for the advice!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so true...

biggmike said:
FLauthor said:
Don't hunt alone and carry a long handled scoop or shovel. If you are licensed for a concealed weapon, take it. These are tough times and you are out on the beach at night with a $600 to a $1200 metal detector. Hunt with a partner as well.If there are people on the beach walking then hunt but if its deserted, carry a .45 Long Colt derringer or a .22 Magnum derringer and know how to use it. Think Safe, and be safe. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Great advice... :icon_thumright: Times are tough and there are some cowards out there that are looking for a opportunity to strike. There is safety in numbers. They are looking for an easy mark, not a brawl. :violent1:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your flashlight is your worst enemy at night, asking for attention. I hunt a few hours before sunrise at the earliest, like someone else said, most of the drunks are asleep by 3-4. I don't even turn my flashlight on, moonlight is good enough most of the time. Scope out the scene before you get out of the car.

We are carrying around a pretty good defense weapon, I could do some damage with a water scoop... it's like carrying an axe/sledgehammer, depending on which side you hit with ;D.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Two thoughts
1. Carry Pepper Spray, legal in lots of places, doesn't leave bodies or blood like
bullets.
2. Don't get in trouble in the water with no one around for help.
Good luck, find lots of loot.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread