Thoughts on this "point"/artifact please

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My step mom just showed me this point she found back in the 40's in New England. She thinks maybe Conn. somewhere. Not sure of the stone type, almost seems like washed granite, but I think it was worked on by somebody. Seems really crude, makes me feel like it's an oldie and wondered what people here think., it's bout 4 1/2 inches long. Hope these few pictures do it justice. (apologies for the large file size, aint figgured out how to resize yet)

Thanks for looking,

Chitlin

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    659.4 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
Hard to tell from the resolution. If it is , based on the size it would be a knife. Crudeness is meaningless. In my opinion the older you go the better the quality (case in point Clovis points) . Some rocks weather different . When they are first made they could be nice and crisp with distinctive flaking but after being exposed to the elements and sitting in the ground they become weathered and smooth. Anyone who has found points made of sandstone or Argillite knows what i"m talking about.

As i said due to resolution i cant see close enough to see weathered flaking.

Its got the shape thats for sure. I just dont know if it has the work though. Are the edges thinned at all?

Some types of rayholite can get ridiculously worn down

ForumRunner_20140304_235248.png

ForumRunner_20140304_235320.png

ForumRunner_20140304_235357.png

ForumRunner_20140304_235440.png

Thanks for the input. I am all but clueless on the nuances going on with respect to Native American workmanship. Good info about the Clovis. Makes me wonder why this rock type was chosen.... looks like river washed granite, which seems like tough material to work with... Necessity or boredom... one of the cool things about our hobby... imagining the who, what, why, when and how.

Thanks again for looking.

Chitlin

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    695.6 KB · Views: 87
I find some made from black quartzite which is roughly made. Most have been broken though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back