What's new

Thoughts!

jamus peek

Sr. Member
Joined
May 13, 2014
Messages
373
Reaction score
334
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a recent find I believe it is hematite. It is darker in color and I believe that means it is more suitable for wood working as it is harder then the lighter color hematite rocks. It resembles what I have seen online as a humpback adze. The closest outcrop of hematite and only one remotely close is about 40 miles away documented. That being said I know hematite is one of the most abundant minerals on earth and I found what I believe to be an outcrop that seems recently exposed through erosion fairly close.

Just wanted some opinions my thoughts were it shows a bit with wear and a hump and a notch on the bottom. It also looks and feels polished and looks reworked to shallow the angle of the bit. The shape is different. This all being said I lack experience and am trying to put the learning experience together with the field I play. I also posted a picture of the creek that I really liked.

20171023_131336.webp20171023_131329.webp20171023_131342.webp20171023_131324.webp20171023_131349.webp20171001_134010.webp
 
Upvote 0
Water worn rock......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom