Thrift stores are awesome!

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
So I'm only 21 and have a great set of eyes and thrift stores are BANK. I have a local store that is in a rich area and man do I score. I always carefully scan through all the jewelry areas looking for that special silver or gold color. Like I said with a great set of eyes I rarely miss anything and when I ask to look at something I can see Marks easily. Almost never make a bad buy because I hate accumulating junk and wasting money. Going to start saving all of my silver until the price rises, possibly sell gold. I have found so much at this one store. Scored a .750 bracelet that weighed 3 g or so for $3. my best find was a wing shaped ring signed by artist von musulin... Sold for $250 got for $3. Very nice to have the additional income and I'm looking forward to future garage sale finds as the season is starting up here in PA. So expect plenty of posts from me here soon!

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! It's great when you have the knowledge like that (and the eyesight) to know when to pounce and when to bounce. We should all be that fortunate.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused... you bought a 3 gram .750 silver bracelet worth $1.18 for $3?

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd hand stores are the bomb,,,,Brand new back 2 the future 3 on vhs still in factory package 10 cents ,, but to each their own scores happy huntinn

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Yes .750 gold ha and yea I've found other none jewelry items worth good money too. Found great electronics before just depends on what it is. Found a rem sleep device worth $200 got it for $10. Bought a pair of cs-88 pioneers from 1969 for $20 both were in excellent shape and worked great sold them for $100 to a pawn shop I used to work at. Nice to have a good place to sell other than eBay as well.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the eye is what separates a good buyer from a bad one. And it takes lots of research and studying to get the "eye". Keep at it ….but not in my neighborhood. LOL.

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Hahaha right? Idk why but there's no better feeling then getting a great item for dirt cheap. Like winning a lotto ticket without the risk, such a great feel. Ive always loved silver and gold and can always tell when it's the real deal in my hand

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom is in town for a week so we're taking Monday morning and going to thrift stores. So far I have bought a pair of sterling and 14 K earrings for a dollar. It looks like they're signed possibly but I can't tell yet without the loop. There hasn't been much else so we're going to go to a couple though to see if we can find anything else

image-897640313.jpg

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that is awesome. Congrats on the good eye sight. I need a loop to see. I can tell if something is plated or filled, by rubbing my fingers on the engraving. Sometimes it is as clear as day, but most of the time, I struggle.
Any pictures of your finds? We always love to see.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes pictures Man! And my eyesight went downhill as soon as I turned 40. I am blessed to have "the eye", but it sucks to have to pull out the loupe or raise my glasses to look for the mark on jewelry. It slows me down on jewelry, but thank goodness I can see the larger items from 25ft away! Brendan1414, you remind me of one of the Goodwill managers...she has EXCELLENT eyesight and when she throws the donated jewelry into a jar to sell, she can can see the marks too well and makes sure she does NOT put those in the jars(they go into auction). I always have to ask "Who put these jars together?" and I DON'T but hers! LOL

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes pictures Man! And my eyesight went downhill as soon as I turned 40. I am blessed to have "the eye", but it sucks to have to pull out the loupe or raise my glasses to look for the mark on jewelry. It slows me down on jewelry, but thank goodness I can see the larger items from 25ft away! Brendan1414, you remind me of one of the Goodwill managers...she has EXCELLENT eyesight and when she throws the donated jewelry into a jar to sell, she can can see the marks too well and makes sure she does NOT put those in the jars(they go into auction). I always have to ask "Who put these jars together?" and I DON'T but hers! LOL

This is scary!! I am 35 this September.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I needed bifocals at 40. Eye doctor told me they will get worse every six months to a year. I can only get glasses from the insurance every other year, so basically for about 18 months I can't see.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I may be blind in one eye and need bifocals for the other but I can still sniff out the gold and silver if it's anywhere in my vicinity, lol.

And my good eye didn't start going downhill until I turned 40... things to look forward to.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was good too. Sterling Danecraft bracelet for a $1.99 and silver lapis earrings for $.99. I should be able to double my investment! I love finding Danecraft stuff.

image-2300135064.jpg

The ladies that price jewelry at this store, one is probably 65 and the other ladies probably 50 so I guess all old folks miss some! Lol. I know they don't use a loop and they certainly do not test anything. I pulled out a loop one time and the lady asked me what I was using! I told her it helps me see better.

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
I will be posting finds shortly whenever I get something good! Another recent find was a sterling pot holder think it was lowle stripped it off the wood and it weighs 48g all for 99 cents! Woo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread