What's new

Tiny Eagle

wolcottdigger

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
320
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I found this today at a local middle school it was about twenty feet from an old colonial era stone wall.
I almost threw it in my junk bucket but I thought it had some markings on it. It appears to have an Eagle
like you see on some old military buttons, any clues.
Joe
 

Attachments

  • eagle thing 1.webp
    eagle thing 1.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 341
  • eagle thing 2.webp
    eagle thing 2.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 328
  • eagle thing 1.webp
    eagle thing 1.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 340
  • eagle thing 2.webp
    eagle thing 2.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 333
4-H said:
I'm thinking the remnants of an old utensil handle.

I'm gonna go with 4-H on this one. Definately looks like a busted flatware handle, looks late 1700s to early 1800s.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • padlock cover.webp
    padlock cover.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
2country said:
Kinda looks like a key hole cover from an old lock .
Im gonna go with 2 country on this. Its from an antique padlock something like this.

Ooooh, can I change my vote. :tongue3: No really it does resemble both a flatware handle and a keyhole cover. The only reason I went with flatware handle is the way it "necks down" and is bent/broke at the top. Most keyhole covers I have seen are either rectangle or have a slight taper like the one in BCH's pic.
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
bigcypresshunter said:
2country said:
Kinda looks like a key hole cover from an old lock .
Im gonna go with 2 country on this. Its from an antique padlock something like this.

Ooooh, can I change my vote. :tongue3: No really it does resemble both a flatware handle and a keyhole cover. The only reason I went with flatware handle is the way it "necks down" and is bent/broke at the top. Most keyhole covers I have seen are either rectangle or have a slight taper like the one in BCH's pic.
I have seen many different types. Here is one similar. I have some better pics in a book. Whats odd is it looks broken on both ends. The eagle and letters look spot on.
 

Attachments

  • padlock broken cover.webp
    padlock broken cover.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
72cheyenne said:
bigcypresshunter said:
2country said:
Kinda looks like a key hole cover from an old lock .
Im gonna go with 2 country on this. Its from an antique padlock something like this.

Ooooh, can I change my vote. :tongue3: No really it does resemble both a flatware handle and a keyhole cover. The only reason I went with flatware handle is the way it "necks down" and is bent/broke at the top. Most keyhole covers I have seen are either rectangle or have a slight taper like the one in BCH's pic.
I have seen many different types. Here is one similar. I have some better pics in a book. Whats odd is it looks broken on both ends. The eagle and letters look spot on.

It does look broke on both ends. :icon_scratch: And I have to agree that the eagles do look very similar. I have looked for over an hour at flatware...and I haven't found anything even close. :tongue3: I think we can pretty much "assume" this is a broken keyhole cover to a lock. :thumbsup: Great Id, 2country, and picture follow up BCH. :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
You guys are the best, I think this is solved!
Thanks 2country and bigcypresshunter, with your help I did a little more research.
It seems there was a company called the Eagle Lock Co. and this is a keyhole cover.
Thank You
Joe
UPDATE!
It seems the Eagle Lock Company was in Terryville CT. the next town over from me.
 

Attachments

  • eagle fly.webp
    eagle fly.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
seanmdhistory said:
that looks like a key hole cover to a old pad lock
Welcome to TN sean. Yes thats what it is. When the green check is posted, that means it has already been solved.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom