Jovan421

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello im new to coin roll hunting. Me and my daughter started messing around with getting pennies to look for wheats etc.. have gotten a few halves only like 10-$20 i want to really kick it up and be able to be going through boxes every week. What are some tips to breaking the ice to inform the teller that you want them to order halves for you weekly. Dont they ask you why? if so what do you say? what are some good things i can say to win them over and set up the orders. thanks

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, don't be shy about it. Remember you have the account there, so you are the customer. The worst case scenario is they say no, and you walk out no worse for the wear.

Whenever I go into a new "order" bank, I walk up to the next available teller and ask them first if they have any Half Dollars. Nine times out of ten they say no. Then I ask about ordering Half Dollars. Usually they have to ask the Vault or Lead Teller if they can do that. I then strike up a conversation with the Lead Teller. HONESTY is ALWAYS the best policy. If they should ask why I want so many coins, I always reply that I am a collector. I assure them that I will be there the same day the coins arrive to pick up my order, and that I will not under any circumstances bring the coins back to them for deposit. In my experience the biggest concerns all Lead Tellers have about ordering Half Dollars is that they won't be picked up or they will be searched and brought right back. As long as you can assuage those fears you should be in the clear.

Confidence, Honesty, and Promptness is all it takes.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Promise them dinner and dancing! And then marriage! Thats what I did.
Now I'm married to a girl at the bank.

Well, you asked.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, don't be shy about it. Remember you have the account there, so you are the customer. The worst case scenario is they say no, and you walk out no worse for the wear.

Whenever I go into a new "order" bank, I walk up to the next available teller and ask them first if they have any Half Dollars. Nine times out of ten they say no. Then I ask about ordering Half Dollars. Usually they have to ask the Vault or Lead Teller if they can do that. I then strike up a conversation with the Lead Teller. HONESTY is ALWAYS the best policy. If they should ask why I want so many coins, I always reply that I am a collector. I assure them that I will be there the same day the coins arrive to pick up my order, and that I will not under any circumstances bring the coins back to them for deposit. In my experience the biggest concerns all Lead Tellers have about ordering Half Dollars is that they won't be picked up or they will be searched and brought right back. As long as you can assuage those fears you should be in the clear.

I'll just add that I also started bringing in goodies for the tellers everyso often after I started ordering coins and they love to see me come in the bank with that tupperware full of homemade cookies or choclate covered strawberries ( they really loved the strawberries) or other things. Letting your kids come in with you is also good,so they see you really are doing the hobby with them, I bring my son and daughter in all the time with me.

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how old your daughter is. If she is younger than 10 yr old let her do the talk. In my experience most tellers will go above and beyond for kids.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well put. Much more eloquent than how I would put it. Don't dump where you hunt, schmooze the teller, be honest, and don't make em sit on it. I even told the head tellers at my banks that I was going on vacation and asked if they could please stop the orders for me. They appreciated that as one of my banks has a small vault. OH! Almost forgot, always ask if there is anything you can do, at both your pickup and dump bank, to make it easier for them to deal with the coins. Not only did that result in me getting to bag my coins at home, but made ALL the employees that had to unroll coins much happier with me.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try national banks. Not small banks that are only on one coast or region. Citizens may order and boa. Wells Fargo almost allways will and credit unions. Td bank is the devil though and will never order half dollars. Small banks get charged per box. National banks Eathier have a contract and arnt charged per box but per vist. Or they do the coin stuff internally

albert

Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
HTML:

Well, you asked.

I would just like to ask ... How is that working out?? Are you serious w/ her??

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its easy just ask if they can get them and tell them its just a hobby.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, you asked.
Funny you say this because while I'm still new to this and of course married..... I have noticed that there are HOT women working in banks and while explaining to them why you want the coins you have already broke the ice and starting a conversation. I flirt with them.....when I tell them I collect , I smile look down and tell them " I know, it's pretty nerdy stuff huh? " . I don't know ifnim imagining things but A LOT of them end up smiling back and saying " well there's a lot worse things you could be doing with your free time" such as bars, strip clubs etc. even the ones who have had to say no to me have been giving me some looks if you know what I mean. Just today I had a great conversation with a HOT 25 year teller for like 10 minutes....... That conversation would not have happened if not for CRH... Now, if only I had done this before I got married...LoL, oh well live and learn!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll just add that I also started bringing in goodies for the tellers everyso often after I started ordering coins and they love to see me come in the bank with that tupperware full of homemade cookies or choclate covered strawberries ( they really loved the strawberries) or other things. Letting your kids come in with you is also good,so they see you really are doing the hobby with them, I bring my son and daughter in all the time with me.

I was thinking of doing this. I was gonna ask everyone what they typically bring for a gift to the tellers, homemade cookies! That's it! Oh and I also tell them how excited my daughter gets when she finds one, helps a lot. I bet bringing your kids with you they won't be able to say no to you!

Man there is some epic advice in this thread!

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Honest is the best policy. That being said, honesty doesn't necessarily mean spilling your guts; "I'm a collector" is much, much better than "I'm looking for silver." :wink:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you say this because while I'm still new to this and of course married..... I have noticed that there are HOT women working in banks and while explaining to them why you want the coins you have already broke the ice and starting a conversation. I flirt with them.....when I tell them I collect , I smile look down and tell them " I know, it's pretty nerdy stuff huh? " . I don't know ifnim imagining things but A LOT of them end up smiling back and saying " well there's a lot worse things you could be doing with your free time" such as bars, strip clubs etc. even the ones who have had to say no to me have been giving me some looks if you know what I mean. Just today I had a great conversation with a HOT 25 year teller for like 10 minutes....... That conversation would not have happened if not for CRH... Now, if only I had done this before I got married...LoL, oh well live and learn!

Wow, lol.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, lol.

What? LOL, I'm married not dead.....
I think anyway you can get them talking is going to help you CRH. I'd flirt with anybody if I thought it benefit me, wouldn't you? We're talking flirting not cheating....ha

Last edited:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? LOL, I'm married not dead.....
I think anyway you can get them talking is going to help you CRH. I'd flirt with anybody if I thought it benefit me, wouldn't you? We're talking flirting not cheating....ha

Dont want to get into a moral debate with ya, suffice to say I have not adopted your strategy and am doing fine with half orders. Seriously, your business is yours. Just reacting is all.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont want to get into a moral debate with ya, suffice to say I have not adopted your strategy and am doing fine with half orders. Seriously, your business is yours. Just reacting is all.

Lol, I'm sure nobody has ever flirted with you so you wouldnt understand.Trust me it's innocent when I do it. I'm as faithfully as they come. React away......

Bunky211

May 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you also get hit on by bartenders and restaurant servers all the time??

Sorry to burst your bubble, they're just doing their job which is to smile and be friendly. Just like the hot bartender/waitress. :laughing7:

Hey if thats what it takes for you to keep on searching then who are we too judge?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions